First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak, F150, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hi all. First post here despite reading the forums for years. I recently took my 2022 Bronco Wildtrak with 5500 miles out of storage (approximately 5 months), and it felt like it was in 4wd (dragging around tight corners), but the console/dash shows it's in 2wd. Had the idea to try to shift to 4wd, and it tried for about 10 seconds before the dash game me the "service vehicle soon" and "service 4x4" alerts. From previous posts about 4wd issues, I tried checking and reconnecting the wiring harness on the frame under the passenger door. Also tried disconnecting the battery in hopes it would figure out what the actual state the transmission was in. No luck with either. I'll add that while in storage, the battery did die completely for no reason (I had been starting it once a week for 30 minutes). Already made an appointment with the dealer a few days from now, but now I'm nervous to drive it there, plus of rather save the headache if possible. Anyone have similar issues?

Edited to add: I think I had put it in 4wd to back into my barn, and shifted out once parked. Don't recall any odd behavior or anything from when it was parked. I then had it on jacks to get the tired off the ground.
Sponsored

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What do you believe it’s stuck in? 4L or 4H?

no lockers engaged right?

OP
OP
SandblastedSkin
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak, F150, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What do you believe it’s stuck in? 4L or 4H?

no lockers engaged right?
4H. I drove it for a bit, and other than the dragging in tight turns it behaves normally, no hi revving or anything. Never engaged the diff lock, I assume I'd have noticed some severe skidding if that was the case.

OP
OP
SandblastedSkin
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak, F150, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I would definitely get a battery tender if you're planning on leaving it for that long. This is the one I use:

https://a.co/d/5JGdPsd
I ended up putting one on after it died and didn't have any issues after. I figured the weekly starts would have kept the battery charged enough but I guess I was wrong.

Sponsored

Bronco911

Big Bend
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HPR Big Bend, squatch
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I had the 4x4 service alert also, took it in on friday to get it checked. The service shop told me that the 4 wheel drive module went out, and it was stuck in 4WD. Said it was unsafe to drive, and now I have no vehicle until the part comes in. I guess I'm lucky I got to drive it for 900 miles, before something went wrong lol.

OP
OP
SandblastedSkin
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak, F150, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I had the 4x4 service alert also, took it in on friday to get it checked. The service shop told me that the 4 wheel drive module went out, and it was stuck in 4WD. Said it was unsafe to drive, and now I have no vehicle until the part comes in. I guess I'm lucky I got to drive it for 900 miles, before something went wrong lol.
I'm expecting the same. Thankfully I haven't had any other issues, and I got a Ford ESP. fingers crossed it's not the beginning of bunch of warranty services.

OP
OP
SandblastedSkin
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak, F150, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Hi all. First post here despite reading the forums for years. I recently took my 2022 Bronco Wildtrak with 5500 miles out of storage (approximately 5 months), and it felt like it was in 4wd (dragging around tight corners), but the console/dash shows it's in 2wd. Had the idea to try to shift to 4wd, and it tried for about 10 seconds before the dash game me the "service vehicle soon" and "service 4x4" alerts. From previous posts about 4wd issues, I tried checking and reconnecting the wiring harness on the frame under the passenger door. Also tried disconnecting the battery in hopes it would figure out what the actual state the transmission was in. No luck with either. I'll add that while in storage, the battery did die completely for no reason (I had been starting it once a week for 30 minutes). Already made an appointment with the dealer a few days from now, but now I'm nervous to drive it there, plus of rather save the headache if possible. Anyone have similar issues?

Edited to add: I think I had put it in 4wd to back into my barn, and shifted out once parked. Don't recall any odd behavior or anything from when it was parked. I then had it on jacks to get the tired off the ground.
Hi there! Can you please send over a private message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer? I would like to take a closer look at your Bronco's performance issues.

Bronco911

Big Bend
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HPR Big Bend, squatch
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Sponsored
OP
OP
SandblastedSkin
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak, F150, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Glad you got your bronco back, day seven for me still waiting to get mine back. They have the part, but no available Tech. to program it.
Good luck! I hate having vehicles sitting at the dealer.

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I ended up putting one on after it died and didn't have any issues after. I figured the weekly starts would have kept the battery charged enough but I guess I was wrong.
Off-topic, but;
I've got a Kubota L3010 which spends it's time in the garage, when it's not working.
In 2007 I put a new Wally World NeverStart battery in it; I have a cig lighter, er, current vernacular; "12 volt power port" plug on the dash.
When I park the Kubota, I plug a float charger into it.
Last year, I took the front cowling off to get to the battery (it had been awhile!), and the terminals were all corroded....tractor starts fine, no probs, but then I noticed the sticker on the battery...from 2007.
I tested the battery, it was weak, but still good, still full of electrolyte.
It was FOURTEEN YEARS OLD!!! I went and got a new one.
Lemme do some maths here; batts are about $100, at least.
Battery Tender is about $50...so if a $100 battery can last FOURTEEN YEARS using a $50 battery tender...well, ya'll's mileage may vary, but I know what I'll be doing with vee-hickles that get parked for a while...

Ford Bronco Stuck in 4wd, console shows 2wd P5150139.JPG

Ford Bronco Stuck in 4wd, console shows 2wd p5230005

Important accessory;
Ford Bronco Stuck in 4wd, console shows 2wd p5230006

MAK3

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F-250 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Similar situation, 2022 Badlands sat for a little over 3 weeks due to vacation and work schedule. Tried to start it up Sunday and the brake pedal pushed back at me and the lights and gauges went haywire and the bronco wouldn't start. Jumped the bronco and drove it for about a half hour to charge up the battery, but seemed to drive a little sluggish and tight in corners. The next morning I took it to the gym (1 mile) and the service vehicle soon and service 4x4 messages along with the orange wrench appeared. Took it to the dealer and the battery had a bad cell so they replaced that but told me its "stuck in 4 wheel drive." The service advisor was aware of the TSB and said they were working on it but had to keep it overnight. Hopefully they get it sorted out quickly enough tomorrow. The heat here in AZ has been brutal and not nice to batteries, so a failing or bad one stood ZERO chance. Sucks that it impacts so many other things now though.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Similar situation, 2022 Badlands sat for a little over 3 weeks due to vacation and work schedule. Tried to start it up Sunday and the brake pedal pushed back at me and the lights and gauges went haywire and the bronco wouldn't start. Jumped the bronco and drove it for about a half hour to charge up the battery, but seemed to drive a little sluggish and tight in corners. The next morning I took it to the gym (1 mile) and the service vehicle soon and service 4x4 messages along with the orange wrench appeared. Took it to the dealer and the battery had a bad cell so they replaced that but told me its "stuck in 4 wheel drive." The service advisor was aware of the TSB and said they were working on it but had to keep it overnight. Hopefully they get it sorted out quickly enough tomorrow. The heat here in AZ has been brutal and not nice to batteries, so a failing or bad one stood ZERO chance. Sucks that it impacts so many other things now though.
Good morning, Mike! I would be glad to help you out with your Bronco performance concerns if you'd like. Just shoot us a direct message with your VIN and dealer details, and I'll get right on it. To send a private message, just click on our username and select "Start Conversation". Thank you!

Last edited:
OP
OP
SandblastedSkin
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak, F150, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hope you're all set at this point. That's pretty much what happened to me (battery died, wouldn't start, trickle charged until full, then had the issue). I won't be parking it for any length of time without keeping the charger on it anymore.
Sponsored