Sponsored

Super weird. New Bronco Opens Security Gate???

Evielycie

Outer Banks
First Name
Evie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500; Bronco Sport; Waiting for Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I just took delivery of my new 23 Bronco (Outer Banks). The sticker that worked the security gate to get into my neighborhood without punching a code was stuck to the windshield of my trade, so I figured I would have to punch the code until I could get a new one. Oddly the gate opened when I drove in the first time...I figured it was a fluke or the gate wasn't working right. Weirdest thing is that it opens every single time I come home now - consistently - without a code. I just wait for a second and like magic...the gate opens. It's only the Bronco; the gate is working otherwise. Anyone ever heard of suck a thing, or know what could be sending a signal to open a security gate? I don't think it is a bad thing necessarily but it's so odd I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience.
Sponsored

boomboomthump

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
How does a sticker work a security gate? Are you implying that when you approach the gate, something scans said sticker and then opens the gate? The sticker is found by an automated scanner no matter the vehicle type/size/height and location of the sticker on the windshield?

Further, you're suggesting that instead of this system looking for a sticker, that now your Bronco is transmitting a signal which opens the gate?

Which is it? Does the gate work by waiting to receive a signal transmission or does it work by looking for a sticker?

(I'm guessing the gate opens for anyone who rolls up.)

OP
OP

Evielycie

Outer Banks
First Name
Evie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
There is a small RFI chip in the sticker and they are issued to residents. There is a reader above the key pad. I went months after I moved in without one and had to use a code - I assure you the gate does not just open for anyone. Guests have to call or punch a code. My son does not have the sticker and punches the code. I have been stuck behind others...they punch the code (or get stuck holding everyone else up). I have no idea how the Bronco is transmitting something to open the gate, but it is. My husband thought I was nuts too at first but having now experienced it as well, he is equally baffled.

OP
OP

Evielycie

Outer Banks
First Name
Evie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
How does a sticker work a security gate? Are you implying that when you approach the gate, something scans said sticker and then opens the gate? The sticker is found by an automated scanner no matter the vehicle type/size/height and location of the sticker on the windshield?

Further, you're suggesting that instead of this system looking for a sticker, that now your Bronco is transmitting a signal which opens the gate?

Which is it? Does the gate work by waiting to receive a signal transmission or does it work by looking for a sticker?

(I'm guessing the gate opens for anyone who rolls up.)
Also when you punch in a code, the box sends a signal, so the gate can open by reading the chip or the signal from the box. It's both.

Sardine

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Elantra N - 6 speed & 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does the gate have a plate scanner? Maybe it has one as a backup in case it can't read the strip on the sticker.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Evielycie

Outer Banks
First Name
Evie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Does the gate have a plate scanner? Maybe it has one as a backup in case it can't read the strip on the sticker.
Not that I know of, but I have paper plates right now and I have no registered the car with the HOA. I am truly baffled by this (I really assumed the gate was broken and just opening until I witnessed that not to be the case).

Agua Caliente

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Off-Road
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Carte Blanche ?
Noblesse Oblige ?
Back to the days of French colonial empire ?

No seriously, am guessing your key fob is on same frequency as your gate reader. And your key fob or Bronco transceiver is somehow spoofing the gate code

The key fob / Bronco transceiver are 315 Mhz - same frequency as many garage openers. You might check the gate reader frequency if possible

Enginerd

Badlands
First Name
Jani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S5 Sportback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe the scanner / detection modules are aligned high and more easily reading and auto opening due to Bronco height and vertical windshield? Assuming sticker is on windshield?

Dover157

Black Diamond
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If it really is RFID check your paperwork from the dealership. They probably knew what the sticker was and removed it from the trade vehicle and placed it in your packet. If it’s not in the bronco somewhere then make sure to let whoever is in charge of the gate know to deactivate that one from the system. Otherwise you just left free access through the gate at a dealership and never know who will end up with it.

KirchTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If it really is RFID check your paperwork from the dealership. They probably knew what the sticker was and removed it from the trade vehicle and placed it in your packet. If it’s not in the bronco somewhere then make sure to let whoever is in charge of the gate know to deactivate that one from the system. Otherwise you just left free access through the gate at a dealership and never know who will end up with it.
This has to be it.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Evielycie

Outer Banks
First Name
Evie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You may be right given the looooonnng wait for our trade evaluation. I will go through everything. As you may imagine the glove box is not very user friendly (especially since it has all the tools to remove the rails) so I have not searched it all. But this makes a lot of sense.
To be honest our gate is a bit of a joke - you can literally just get out and walk around it because of placement, or just wait for someone and follow, so this has been more of a curiosity than a concern.

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just took delivery of my new 23 Bronco (Outer Banks). The sticker that worked the security gate to get into my neighborhood without punching a code was stuck to the windshield of my trade, so I figured I would have to punch the code until I could get a new one. Oddly the gate opened when I drove in the first time...I figured it was a fluke or the gate wasn't working right. Weirdest thing is that it opens every single time I come home now - consistently - without a code. I just wait for a second and like magic...the gate opens. It's only the Bronco; the gate is working otherwise. Anyone ever heard of suck a thing, or know what could be sending a signal to open a security gate? I don't think it is a bad thing necessarily but it's so odd I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience.

OP
OP

Evielycie

Outer Banks
First Name
Evie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Carte Blanche ?
Noblesse Oblige ?
Back to the days of French colonial empire ?

No seriously, am guessing your key fob is on same frequency as your gate reader. And your key fob or Bronco transceiver is somehow spoofing the gate code

The key fob / Bronco transceiver are 315 Mhz - same frequency as many garage openers. You might check the gate reader frequency if possible
Pretty sure this must be it. Dug through all the paperwork and this is the only thing that makes sense. I may have to walk up there with just the fob and see what happens, just to resolve my curiosity.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

What color is the Bronco? Area 51? 😎