Sponsored

Swapping Coyote V8 into my Bronco. Will front and rear diff need to be rebuilt?

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've mentioned this before in this forum... Hanging out with you all for the past year, I'm really starting to realize just how broke I am.
Or how in debt everyone else is🤷🏻‍♂️

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The trans is going to monster transmisson for rebuild.
I'd be interested to see what your communication with Monster has been so far. It's a brand new transmission with absolutely no parts available for it. Are they just going to cryo treat/polish the existing gears and hope for the best?

the question is will the front and rear diff need to be rebuilt..Or will it handle the power..
You rebuild something that has worn out and doesn't work well any more. I assume you're talking about upgrading. Depends on what you want to do with it - if you're sticking to the street they're probably going to be fine. If you're planning to put 37s on it and bounce it off some rocks the axles are already on borrowed time with the stock engine.

friend wrecked his gt. So its was only $1000 to buy it back from insurance...
The Mustang GT is not the Mustang GT350.

Also I don't believe his insurance company offered a $1000 buyback on a GT350. The engines alone go for $10k+ on the scrap market, the wrecked car on Copart would be an easy $20k+. If he did truly receive his full insurance payout and was able to buy back the wrecked car for $1000, some insurance adjuster is out there smoking some hard drugs.

It's literally all BS until he's tearing down the road slamming gears at 8400rpm. Time will tell.

Love this mess. Merica. Ps-might be wise to also upgrade the brakes
Brakes are fine. He's not taking it to a track day or through the canyons, the worst he's going to have to do is come down from speed once or twice on the street.

Maybe it will just turn into a pipe dream with thousands wasted...
Ford Bronco Swapping Coyote V8 into my Bronco. Will front and rear diff need to be rebuilt? 1635883424600

TKFIVE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
First, I’m rootin for ya. Second, I’m skeptical of how you have a handle on the complexity of a V8 swap into turbo 4 modern vehicle, while also struggling to figure out whether your axles are up to the task.

nd2002

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 BMW M2, '18 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

First, I’m rootin for ya. Second, I’m skeptical of how you have a handle on the complexity of a V8 swap into turbo 4 modern vehicle, while also struggling to figure out whether your axles are up to the task.
Agree… or whether it’s a 5.0 or 8250 redline 5.2 being stuffed in a brick.

Sponsored

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

friend wrecked his gt. So its was only $1000 to buy it back from insurance...
So wait you bought a gt350 for 1000 bucks? Wtf

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Agree… or whether it’s a 5.0 or 8250 redline 5.2 being stuffed in a brick.
Voodoo motor doesn’t match up to the bronco. It doesn’t really come on cam till about 4k won’t be very good rock crawling.

smhenry

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss 302
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Voodoo motor doesn’t match up to the bronco. It doesn’t really come on cam till about 4k won’t be very good rock crawling.
Exactly. The voodoo doesn't make power until higher RPM. The 5.0 is considered to be the more enjoyable option for stop light to stop light driving. The voodoo is more enjoyable on the race track, where one can actually open it up. The 2.7 makes much more low end torque than the 5.2. Don't get me wrong, would be cool, but....

NotGuilty

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Well seeing that the Midwest version of rock crawling is 2nd or 3rd gear bouncing off the rev limiter I think the Voodoo engine will be fantastic for that. I'm also curious to see his rear mounted radiator that he's going to use due to the lack of room under the hood. Did you get that from a wrecked Bronco R?

bigblueboing

Black Diamond
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Looking forward to seeing this on offer up.
2021 Bronco v8 swap.
Just needs running gear.
No low ballers
I know what I have.
Needs engine mounts to.
Oh and my cousin has axles from a 76.
Ready to resto
85 thousand million dollars.

Sponsored

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
haha. i guess i have to follow this mess.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've mentioned this before in this forum... Hanging out with you all for the past year, I'm really starting to realize just how broke I am.
Im currently swapping a 7 year old "fresh" AMC 258 from my rusted out CJ7 into my $900 1980 AMC Eagle which has a lemon sized hole in the side of it. I also just gave my wife $40 I made in tips in the last 2 days for the laundromat and lunch. Im right there with ya, maybe even behind ya, but I'm gonna buy a $45,000 Bronco :ROFLMAO: :unsure: :cry: :unsure::ROFLMAO:😂🤪

As for the OPs question. I have one in retort. Are you staying put, going high, or low? I feel that a mostly mall crawling, show off on the street, light desert running Bronco on stock 33s or a lowered big wheel, modest tired would live with the factory Badlands diffs. However if you are doing serious wheeling or going for 35s or bigger, you will need new diffs. Now or later. I would look into F150 Raptor or Ford 9" IFS and and solid units from the aftermarket They are usually beefed beyond D60 territory. As for the 7 speed, the Voodoo torque should be within limits of the stock unit and Getrags info on it states it being able to 590lbft when properly equipped. So a "build" of it should answer that call.

I hope you go through with it. You will be legendary and one day long after your dead some one will pay a fortune for the first GT350 swap.

Last edited:

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Exactly. The voodoo doesn't make power until higher RPM. The 5.0 is considered to be the more enjoyable option for stop light to stop light driving. The voodoo is more enjoyable on the race track, where one can actually open it up. The 2.7 makes much more low end torque than the 5.2. Don't get me wrong, would be cool, but....
Incorrect. The Voodoo lags 5lbft (call that rotating assembly mass) behind the 2.7 until the 2.7 peaks then continues on to a higher peak. After 6500 rpm it does drop below the 2.7s peak torque.
The torque curves are available on automobile-catalogue.com but I couldnt the charts to transfer.
Sponsored