Synthetic oil recommendations?

Chritaka

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 WildTrak; '06 Whippl'd Mustang (sold4upgrades)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I used to use Castrol before full synthetics became widespread, and never had any issues. I used Royal Purple full synthetic in my 2006 Whipple supercharged Mustang, consistently and from the first oil change. It ran great up until I sold it a year ago. RP is expensive and the Bronco isn't seeing those same levels of demands.

I currently use Valvoline Advanced and EL, but they don't get much love. We have run Adv. in the beginning, then later EL in our last 2 Jeeps and never had an issue. I'm just now coming up on my second oil change in the Bronco, but I did Valvoline Advanced on my first. I do believe in trying to be as consistent as possible, seals and engine internals just seem to be happier with consistency, and that's just what I was taught growing up. I was also taught it's always better to do your own oil changes so you can ensure it's done right, too many nightmare stories otherwise... I do have a backup shop that I trust if I simply run out of time, but I won't take them anywhere random.

I also like to use WIX filters as that was always recommended by my racing buddies. If I have to take it my trusted shop for the change, I bring my own filter as I don't like their in-house.

Like it's been said, proper OCI (oil change interval) is probably the most important factor with these engines, aside from meeting Ford's spec.

For reference:-
Sticky: Bronco - Motor Oil Compilation List that meets Ford Spec WSS-M2C961-A1
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Interesting. That Fram Endurance, from the pictures, looks remarkably like the OEM Motorcraft High-Performance filter used in the Mustang Shelby GT500. It shows them available at WalMart for $12 bucks, I'll pick one up next time I'm forced into that Hell Hole and take a look.
Ford filters are typically made by Mann+Hummel (Purolator & WIX) which are meh at best. WIX used to be good when Affinia owned them, but they were never high efficiency. Purolator is famous for media tears especially in the spin on filters unless you are using the Boss series which typically has meshed backed media.

The Ford high performance filters are likely made by Champion Labs or they could be rebadged FRAMs, though I am not confident of that. The FRAM Endurance is only sold at WM and is the original FRAM Ultra which has been cheapened in the past few years.

For the price point, it is the only full synthetic mesh backed filter on the market with the efficiency rating it has. I stocked up on them when I bought my Bronco and have them stored in a sealed container with dessicant inside to control humidity.

Dez Pony

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 Jeep TJ, '19 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Amsoil quality and variety of products cover just about everything. Lubes for gas engines, diesel engines automatic transmissions, manual gearboxes, diffs, bearing grease,...it goes on and on. My 2022 Badlands has the 2.7L and both diffs using Amsoil in the correct lube weight Ford/Dana require. My Ranger (2.3L), motorhome (6.8L), boat (Mercury 4-Stroke) and home emergency generator (small air-cooled engine), all use specific motor oil (and Amsoil filters) and specific gear oils. I can get good grease for the wheel bearings (marine and road types). I can get everything from them, shipped to my door and the price reduced for being a member. So, for me 30+ years of using Amsoil, I've never had any lube problems, always have enough in stock. And as for warranty issues? My 2011 6.7L diesel suffered a spun rod bearing due to a nasty hard downshift going down a long hill. The engine had Amsoil diesel oil( 15-40 Signature Diesel oil) and the engine was replaced, under warranty, with a Gen 2 reman Ford engine. No question about the oil. Oh, Amsoil offer oil analysis products. I took advantage of that with my first diesel truck, 6.4L. Found out about fuel dilution due to the Bosch high pressure fuel pump. They called me and told me to change oil right NOW!. I did and it lasted a long time. Anybody else offer that? So I'm sticking with Amsoil. If we can afford a new Bronco (then mod it...) we can afford the best products. Good other products out there, but Amsoil has a lot of advantages for me.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've used about every brand of full synthetic out there at one time or another, no complaints from any. I do my services every 5k so not concerned about longevity. So long as it meets Ford specs I'll use whatever is on sale at the time...recently grabbed a 5qt jug of Quaker State full synthetic at Wally World for $23.

e34john

Base
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
e10, e30, e34
Your Bronco Model
Base
Used only Mobil 1 in my 2.0 ecoboost and changed it once a year. Engine was clean when I got rid of my ST.

Now in the 2.3 I use Liquimoly Molygen. Haven't sent a sample to Blackstone yet with this one.

Sponsored

RedSoloCup

Big Bend
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ive used Supertech Synthetic in my F150 2.7 and it was still working at 5k oil changes thanks to oil analysis data. Iā€™ve used Pennzoil Platinum in my Mustang 5.0 with good oil analysis at 5k changes. Iā€™m now trying out the new Quaker state ultimate protection which is in my 24 Mustang 5.0 currently and will do an oil analysis but bobistheoilguy has great data on it and i used to use the QS ultimate durability which is now labeled as their full synthetic with great success in the past. I got it for 18.82 a 5qt jug at Walmart so bought enough for changes on my Mustang and the Bronco. Just did the change at 1367 miles on the Bronco with it yesterday. I always use motorcraft filters as they work well for my 5k changes.

OF Hero

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Sorry to bump this, just wanted to confirm that the OEM filter can be used with a fully synthetic oil?

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ā€˜24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ā€˜69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not sure why Ford puts anything but pure synthetic in their turbocharged engines. As far as racing vs street, all turbochargers get extremely hot and oil passes through them. Dinosaur oil makes carbon when it gets extremely hot, a good synthetic doesnā€™t.

Carbon is abrasive.
Sponsored

Last edited: