Sponsored

Dealer will NOT use my Full Synthetic Oil in my Turbo charged ecoboost?

Lake Tahoe Traveler

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2dr BL SASQ, & 1975 Bronco Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

First off... I purchased a 6 year or 60K mile service contract with my dealer when I purchased my New 2021 Bronco.

At 1000K miles I changed the oil and filter replacing the Break-in oil.
I chose to use Fully synthetic oil (not the Ford Synthetic Blend) that met the ford spec for my 2.7. (WSS-M2C961-A1). Besides its a turbo engine... It doesn't take rocket science to see how this would make sense.

I've had two recent vehicles use this same MFG oil and ran them both to around 250K with no problems and the engines which both ran optimal when I got rid of them.

Anyway, I kept getting hit up by the dealer to bring my truck in which has 3K miles on it.
Sick of being harassed I called the service department. He said you have to bring in your truck to be serviced.
I told him I changed my own oil at 1000k He recommending I change it again 5000 thousand miles.

No problem, however I explained to him I don't mix and match oil. That, I stick with one oil and that would be the Fully Synthetic of brand XXX that meets and or exceeds the Ford spec WSS-M2C961-A1. I told him I would provide the oil.

He told me he would only put in oil the synthetic blend or other oil that they sell. I told him that I'm not interested in using the Ford Fully synthetic. That if it was so great why don't they use it in the Ford GT. Then I asked him what oil does their Dealership use for servicing the mega dollar Ford GT? He told me off the top of his head they have never serviced a Ford GT and he is not familiar with what oil Ford recommends...

Guess what??? Ford Recommends Fully synthetic Castrol oil????? They don't use the $15.00 per quart Fully synthertic Motocraft...in the Ford GT!!!!

Anyway, again I don't mix and match oil in my truck. Not deviating from that period.

I told him that there is nothing wrong with oil that meets the Ford Specs. WSS-M2C961-A1.

He said there is nothing he can do, It is the dealership policy to sell the oil they provide for their maintenance service.

I don't want to make this an oil topic, I'm more than comfortable with my oil of choice. (obviously good enough for:
  • Aston Martin. Factory fill in the Rapide S and V12 Zagato.
  • Bentley. Factory fill in 4 models. ...
  • Cadillac. Factory fill in the CTS-V LT-4, CT4-V Blackwing and CT5-V Blackwing engines.
  • Chevrolet. ...
  • Corvette. ...
  • Mercedes-AMG. ...
  • Nissan. ...
  • Porsche.

Does this seem reasonable for my dealership to flat out say they won't install oil that meets the ford specs WSS-M2C961-A1 that I provide?????

My problem is I've always serviced my own vehicles...
I never thought that this would ever be an issue.

The REAL issue is the expensive Service contract I purchased..... I feel ripped off if servicing my car just includes tire rotation and inspection and changing a few cabin and air filters.

Has anyone ever had an experience like this????
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lake Tahoe Traveler

Lake Tahoe Traveler

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The point of the Ford GT oil is.... that Ford recommends/requires that their dealers use oil outside the Motocraft brand..... His excuse that they only use what they sell obviously does not jive in the case of the Ford GT!!!!

"....call and get a refund for your maintenance plan. Boom problem solved "

Great advice!!!
I'll try to get them to cut a 4K check for my original service plan. I bet that will go over like a lead balloon.

Last edited:

CARdiac

First Edition
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3 Alpha, MINI Cooper S JCW, TVR 280i
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Out of curiosity, What oil are you using? Is it the Castrol?

Sponsored

Destroyer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Chevy SWB NBS, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You're comparing your Bronco to vehicles with motors made with much tighter tolerances and higher HP ratings. The minimum standards for those vehicles are going to exceed the minimum standards for your Bronco. The dealer isn't going to put in oil that you provide because they aren't authorized to do that. If something happened to the motor, regardless of whether or not your oil was the cause, the dealership would likely hide behind the fact that it was your oil as the problem. Then the legal battle would occur, which is something Ford and your service department doesn't want to get involved in, and thus is why they aren't authorized to do it. Cancel your service contract and do the maintenance yourself is your best solution.

CT203

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

First off... I purchased a 6 year or 60K mile service contract with my dealer when I pruchased my New 2021 Bronco.

At 1000K miles I changed the oil and filter replacing the Break-in oil.
I chose to use Fully synthetic oil (not the Ford Synthetic Blend) that met the ford spec for my 2.7. (WSS-M2C961-A1). Besides its a turbo engine... It doesn't take rocket science to see how this would make sense.

I've had two recent vehicles use this same MFG oil and ran them both to around 250K with no problems and the engines which both ran optimal when I got rid of them.

Anyway, I kept getting hit up by the dealer to bring my truck in which as 3K miles on it.
Sick of being harassed I called the service department. He said you have to bring in your truck to be serviced.
I told him I changed my own oil at 1000k He recommending I change it again 5000 thousand miles.

No problem, however I explained to him I don't mix and match oil. That, I stick with one oil and that would be the Fully Synthetic of brand XXX that meets and or exceeds the Ford spec WSS-M2C961-A1. I told him I would provide the oil.

He told me he would only put in oil the synthetic blend or other oil that they sell. I told him that I'm not interested in using the Ford Fully synthetic. That if it was so great why don't they use it in the Ford GT. Then I asked him what oil does their Dealership use for servicing the mega dollar Ford GT? He told me off the top of his head they have never serviced a Ford GT and he is not familiar with what oil Ford recommends...

Guess what??? Ford Recommends Fully synthetic Castrol oil????? They don't use the $15.00 per quart Fully synthertic Motocraft...in the Ford GT!!!!

Anyway, again I don't mix and match oil in my truck. Not deviating from that period.

I told him that there is nothing wrong with oil that meets the Ford Specs. WSS-M2C961-A1.

He said there is nothing he can do, It is the dealership policy to sell the oil they provide for their maintenance service.

I don't want to make this an oil topic, I'm more than comfortable with my oil of choice. (obviously good enough for:
  • Aston Martin. Factory fill in the Rapide S and V12 Zagato.
  • Bentley. Factory fill in 4 models. ...
  • Cadillac. Factory fill in the CTS-V LT-4, CT4-V Blackwing and CT5-V Blackwing engines.
  • Chevrolet. ...
  • Corvette. ...
  • Mercedes-AMG. ...
  • Nissan. ...
  • Porsche.

Does this seem reasonable for my dealership to flat out say they won't install the oil the meets the ford specs WSS-M2C961-A1 that I provide?????

My problem is I've always serviced my own vehicles...
I never thought that this would ever be an issue.

It REAL issue is the expensive Service contract I purchased..... I feel ripped off if servicing my car just includes tire rotation and inspection.

Does anyone ever had an experience like this????
It sounds like you didn’t read the service contract that you bought. Does it mention what oil would be used? The dealer gets a deal buying whatever oil in bulk so they make a few more dollars using their oil Vs the oil you provide. I’ve never heard of a garage using the oil the customer gives them. I’m also curious as others have said why you’d compare precision engines to a truck engine. They are extremely different and might tighter tolerances Id imagine. Also, what vehicles did you go to 250K on? Oil changes or not, there aren’t many Fords going that far. Toyotas, some Mercedes, Porsche even- sure. Again, you can make blanket engine comparisons like that.
finally, you’re probably overdoing it with the insistence on your prized synthetic. It’s not going to make much of a difference on a new engine. There’s been many studies that you Google and read. I feel like you’re overcomplicating things, but that’s just my 1/2 cent worthless opinion.

Hot Pepper Diamond

Black Diamond
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Black Diamond 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not trying to be a jerk here… but why would you purchase a service plan to have a dealership work on your bronco if you are so particular with it? I understand wanting to use certain things but if that’s the case you’d likely be better off doing it yourself… you’ll spend more time arguing with them each time you go in than it would take to just do it yourself.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Lake Tahoe Traveler

Lake Tahoe Traveler

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2001 MBZ and a 2008 Toyota... both had around 250K miles. Both ran perfectly. Like I said I maintain my own cars. I generally like to go with "what works".

OP
OP
Lake Tahoe Traveler

Lake Tahoe Traveler

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You paid $4k for a service plan? that's a lot for oil changes and tire rotations.
Every 5 K miles = 12 services intervals.... plus all parts, fluids also including filters and brakes parts. averages out to $333.33 per service.

Made sense at the time.

Last edited:

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The point of the Ford GT oil is.... that Ford recommends/requires that their dealers use oil outside the Motocraft brand..... His excuse that they only use what they sell obviously does not jive in the case of the Ford GT!!!!

"....call and get a refund for your maintenance plan. Boom problem solved "

Great advice!!!
I'll try to get them to cut a 4K check for my original service plan. I bet that will go over like a lead balloon.
Ho-Lee Shit, did you pay 4k for a 6yr/60K plan? Were you under duress when purchasing?

OP
OP
Lake Tahoe Traveler

Lake Tahoe Traveler

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ho-Lee Shit, did you pay 4k for a 6yr/60K plan? Were you under duress when purchasing?
under duress!!!
Absolutely..... like you've never bought a new car before!!!

Yea wish I could take that one back. Was so happy getting my new Bronco they could have sold me a bridge and I would have bought it!!!o_O

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Looks like this has well been answered, but just request the service contract to be canceled and a refund. Not having used it will be helpful to this end. No idea what stipulations there are for cancelation but also no reason to assume the worst and not ask.
While I see what you are saying about oil quality since I am a stickler myself, very few shops will use parts provided by customer and if you find one that does, it typically comes with the caveat that they will not warranty the part or their work associated. Same applies to you bringing oil. For all they know, you got a pallet of Castrol or Amsoil out the back of a van from some guy that says Allied loaded up too much and he is ready to pass some savings on to you. While you may be saying I would never do that, you can't honestly say that there is no one in this world that would fall for that scheme, so now you have risk.
Just give sales/finance a call to see options about canceling. Preferably, find your paperwork and check the terms and look up cancelation procedures if you are worried about runaround. I panicked needlessly about canceling my last Fords warranty because of a deal through my work only to hear "sure no problem" from the finance guy at dealership.
Sponsored