Sponsored

Has anyone ran Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic oil in their Broncos? Had any issues?

OP
OP
Jimbob007

Jimbob007

Outer Banks
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 1996 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So I paid them a visit, and can confirm that the oil is sticky and coolant reservoir is low. I had a chat with the service manager about it. They even showed me the 2 DTCs related to cam timing and the conversation with Ford. Just waiting for a followup from Ford
Ford Bronco Has anyone ran Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic oil in their Broncos? Had any issues? 1000007438
Ford Bronco Has anyone ran Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic oil in their Broncos? Had any issues? 1000007441
Ford Bronco Has anyone ran Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic oil in their Broncos? Had any issues? 1000007433
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jimbob007

Jimbob007

Outer Banks
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 1996 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It's like snot. What did the dealer say about the low coolant reservoir? Did they note that on any paperwork or their communication with Ford?

OP
OP
Jimbob007

Jimbob007

Outer Banks
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 1996 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It's like snot. What did the dealer say about the low coolant reservoir? Did they note that on any paperwork or their communication with Ford?
Definitely looks like boogers lol. Or something out of ghostbusters. The service advisor didn't really say anything, but the manager said maybe coolant intrusion is possible, but it could be anything. They're used to seeing a milkshake with coolant in the oil

OP
OP
Jimbob007

Jimbob007

Outer Banks
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 1996 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is what I managed to get out of it. A bunch if greenish black snot
Ford Bronco Has anyone ran Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic oil in their Broncos? Had any issues? 1000007444

Sponsored

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Definitely looks like boogers lol. Or something out of ghostbusters. The service advisor didn't really say anything, but the manager said maybe coolant intrusion is possible, but it could be anything. They're used to seeing a milkshake with coolant in the oil
you get that statement in email from them by chance? Did they communicate that possibility to Ford? If so, I'd try to get a copy of that back/forth too.

OP
OP
Jimbob007

Jimbob007

Outer Banks
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 1996 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
you get that statement in email from them by chance? Did they communicate that possibility to Ford? If so, I'd try to get a copy of that back/forth too.
I have one in a text message, which I suppose is good enough. But they did show me their communication with Ford as well

omi205

Badlands
First Name
BoJack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My 2 cents. Either something is wrong with the engine that caused the oil to turn to glue, or Ford is not going to warrant it at all. And why would they? Even if the oil was on their approved list, if the oil failed and damaged the engine, that is a problem for Pennzoil.

And issues like this are why I use only Motorcraft oil and the Ford dealer for oil changes until warranty is up. EIther Ford or the Dealer will ultimately be responsible, and they can hash that out amongst themselves :).
And this is why I still pay $85 for a full synthetic motorcraft oil change (every 5,000 miles) at a certified ford dealer. Im not going to give dealer/ford a single reason to deny any claim. "It was installed by you and Its still factory baby...you tell me what's wrong with it :ROFLMAO:, let me know when to pick it up". I have honestly not moved forward with many mods simply because it could lead to a warranty denial reason. Sad but true.

omi205

Badlands
First Name
BoJack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I saw a list on the forum, and yes I do believe that it meets the spec because the back of the jug says it meets some ford spec. I have every intention of duking it out with ford or the dealership. I dont mess around with my money
Ford Bronco Has anyone ran Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic oil in their Broncos? Had any issues? 1000007444
Sorry if this was asked already. Is there any oil left in the jug? If so, does it look like "good" oil or does it look like what came out of your engine? You could always send that in to test also, if you are sending in samples, as that would be the purest form of the same oil you put in your engine. Assuming that you used this exact same jug and has some left over from the last oil change. I dont think it's the oil. That is good brand. Something funky happened in the engine. How long after the oil change did it last before the check engine lights came on?

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have honestly not moved forward with many mods simply because it could lead to a warranty denial reason. Sad but true.
My wife is the same way, and I can’t really blame you, or her. But on my Bronco, I figure I bought it, I can break it. But yeah it would suck if it breaks and I wasn’t the one that did the breaking… part of the gamble I guess.

Sponsored

omi205

Badlands
First Name
BoJack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My wife is the same way, and I can’t really blame you, or her. But on my Bronco, I figure I bought it, I can break it. But yeah it would suck if it breaks and I wasn’t the one that did the breaking… part of the gamble I guess.
It's a pretty capable vehicle as is. SAS and all. Loaded. Hasn't failed me at what I have wanted to do off-road, yet. It is a gamble. Some mods, like say a suspension lift kit (kings or Fox 2.5) which is something I want to do but could be the tied to so many reasons for warranty denial. Literally anything that goes wrong with any suspension component, even a boot tearing (denied). Once you mess with the geometry, your warranty is done. And then you think well. If I lift it. Then I have to go 37s to be "cool". You know because we gotta "cool". but then your mpg goes from 17 (at best) to 13. Just so I can make my weekly Costco runs :LOL:. However the lift would be great for the yearly off-road road trip. But then if you have a extended warranty, like the Granger Ford 7 year/100k warranty (end to end)...so why gamble. Maybe down the line after I use the warranty a bit and put in some claims. Then you also think of resale value. The mods do nothing for resale. In fact they could diminish value.

OP
OP
Jimbob007

Jimbob007

Outer Banks
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 1996 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Sorry if this was asked already. Is there any oil left in the jug? If so, does it look like "good" oil or does it look like what came out of your engine? You could always send that in to test also, if you are sending in samples, as that would be the purest form of the same oil you put in your engine. Assuming that you used this exact same jug and has some left over from the last oil change. I dont think it's the oil. That is good brand. Something funky happened in the engine. How long after the oil change did it last before the check engine lights came on?
I'll reiterate it...someone did already ask, and no there's no good oil in the jug. Its all the old oil at this point. It was roughly 1300 miles before it started giving me faults last week. I'm waiting on pennzoil to get me a certificate of authenticity and other information regarding that particular jug

OP
OP
Jimbob007

Jimbob007

Outer Banks
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 1996 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
And this is why I still pay $85 for a full synthetic motorcraft oil change (every 5,000 miles) at a certified ford dealer. Im not going to give dealer/ford a single reason to deny any claim. "It was installed by you and Its still factory baby...you tell me what's wrong with it :ROFLMAO:, let me know when to pick it up". I have honestly not moved forward with many mods simply because it could lead to a warranty denial reason. Sad but true.
Any extreme mods I won't do because of possibly being denied a warranty repair. But in this case I would think it shouldn't be an issue. But going forward I might pay the extra to have the dealer do it just to cover my ass further in case something goes sideways again

omi205

Badlands
First Name
BoJack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Any extreme mods I won't do because of possibly being denied a warranty repair. But in this case I would think it shouldn't be an issue. But going forward I might pay the extra to have the dealer do it just to cover my ass further in case something goes sideways again
Was just reading possible reasons for engine oil thickening and most have been discussed already (coolant or water mixing in) another one that I read was "topping of oil with oil of different weight". Essentially mixing oils. Im sure thats not the case here? Most people stick to one brand and thats it.

OP
OP
Jimbob007

Jimbob007

Outer Banks
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 1996 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Was just reading possible reasons for engine oil thickening and most have been discussed already (coolant or water mixing in) another one that I read was "topping of oil with oil of different weight". Essentially mixing oils. Im sure thats not the case here? Most people stick to one brand and thats it.
Unless the factory oil was different weight than what I put in, then no thats not the case. Since the coolant reservoir was at the minimum mark I'm guessing a coolant intrusion issue
Sponsored