Sponsored

Has anyone ran Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic oil in their Broncos? Had any issues?

Jimbob007

Outer Banks
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 1996 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hey all,

So I'm seeing if anybody has used Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic oil in their broncos, and if so have you had any issues? The reason I ask is because my Bronco is currently at the dealership due to a Low Oil Pressure fault that's been going on for a couple of days. It was sluggish yesterday. The dealership looked at it this morning and said the oil was like glue (see pic), and that a new engine would be required. I changed the oil with Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic at 5200 mi (so 2 months ago...at 6500 mi as of yesterday). The kicker is that I'm trying to provide them with proof that I didn't add any additives to the oil and they're trying to see if ford will warranty the motor (2.3L)
Ford Bronco Has anyone ran Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic oil in their Broncos? Had any issues? 1000007214

Has anyone had this issue? I've ran this oil in every vehicle I've had over the last several years without any issue. Otherwise, what would yall recommend for oil?

TIA
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jimbob007

Jimbob007

Outer Banks
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 1996 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’m running Penzoil Ultra Platinum for about 4k miles now without issue.
Is that the stuff that's a level below or above platinum full synthetic?

CarGuy

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Depends what you’re measuring, but I’d say above…but both are very high quality oil.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Is it possible something poured into the fuel tank could have messed up the engine hence the oil situation? Count me a bit paranoid, I've had someone pour stuff into my fuel tank before. A non-locking fuel filler can be an invitation for anyone with an axe to grind or for kicks to pour something in.

Sponsored

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
2nd oil change, Out of town could not get into a dealer. No issues in 5000 miles, Had my third at my dealer...

OP
OP
Jimbob007

Jimbob007

Outer Banks
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 1996 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Is it possible something poured into the fuel tank could have messed up the engine hence the oil situation? Count me a bit paranoid, I've had someone pour stuff into my fuel tank before. A non-locking fuel filler can be an invitation for anyone with an axe to grind or for kicks to pour something in.
I'm not sure how that would affect it. I was thinking something internal may have busted or a bad batch of oil. Just hoping to God ford will cover it because that's an expensive repair I'd rather not foot the bill for

OP
OP
Jimbob007

Jimbob007

Outer Banks
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 1996 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
2nd oil change, Out of town could not get into a dealer. No issues in 5000 miles, Had my third at my dealer...
Any idea what oil they used?

Sponsored

Sardine

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Elantra N - 6 speed & 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Blown head gasket would let coolant into your oil. It's possible that it can turn thick due to this. If this is what happened it's definitely not your fault.

Or, someone poured something into your engine without you knowing.

I just changed my oil with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and I've used it on all my vehicles for years without issues.

OP
OP
Jimbob007

Jimbob007

Outer Banks
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 1996 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Blown head gasket would let coolant into your oil. It's possible that it can turn thick due to this. If this is what happened it's definitely not your fault.

Or, someone poured something into your engine without you knowing.

I just changed my oil with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and I've used it on all my vehicles for years without issues.
If a head gasket blew it would look like a milkshake. Are you saying it's possible someone poured something into the gas tank?

OP
OP
Jimbob007

Jimbob007

Outer Banks
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 1996 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks all who have replied. So far it sounds like my oil isn't the culprit unless it was a bad batch. I'm also wondering if our recently cold overnight temperatures in SC could cause that. The below picture is another one the service advisors sent me yesterday
Ford Bronco Has anyone ran Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic oil in their Broncos? Had any issues? 1000007215

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Cold would not cause that. I have used this brand oil many times in the past and never had an issue. Are you using the correct viscosity 5w-30? The picture of the dipstick shows it very over filled? If the oil is indeed too thick I do not know what would cause that unless the oil was mis-labeled and it's a 50 weight or something like that.
Sponsored