Sponsored

Factory oil fill? Blend or full synthetic?

jp925

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Big Bend, 2006 STi, 1974 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Did my break-in oil change yesterday, after searching around and reading the manual it seems that from the factory ford uses the synthetic blend, can anyone confirm this? I switched to full synthetic valvoline 5W-30 advanced and within around 75 miles noticed almost a full mile better MPG; curious to see if it continues to improve.
Sponsored

sportcoupe

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ford spec WSS-M2C961-A1 (5w-30) is for Motorcraft synthetic blend in the United States. There are some full synthetic oils that meet the spec as well. Pennzoil and Mobil 1 do.

OP
OP
jp925

jp925

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ford spec WSS-M2C961-A1 (5w-30) is for Motorcraft synthetic blend in the United States. There are some full synthetic oils that meet the spec as well. Pennzoil and Mobil 1 do.
I wonder why they didn't go full synthetic from the factory?

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wonder why they didn't go full synthetic from the factory?
Cost.

Also synthetic blends today are REALLY good oils compared to the blends of old, so there really is no reason to use full synthetic for non-performance applications.

Of course if you are on a Bronco forum you probably are a little more concerned with automotive care than the average person, and are more likely to use a full-synthetic. I also use a full synthetic, but it's really not necessary.

OP
OP
jp925

jp925

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Cost.

Also synthetic blends today are REALLY good oils compared to the blends of old, so there really is no reason to use full synthetic for non-performance applications.

Of course if you are on a Bronco forum you probably are a little more concerned with automotive care than the average person, and are more likely to use a full-synthetic. I also use a full synthetic, but it's really not necessary.
Its just odd to me, Ive built enough motors to see the worn components of subpar oil. I've also owned enough Subaru's (and still do) to know how important weight is for clearances. these eco boost motors put some serious PSI into these little blocks, seems very silly to me ford wouldn't recommend synthetic for what I would consider to be a hi-performance motor, but + .02 for forum guys just wanting the best.

Sponsored

MK0412

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord and Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Will Ford use full-synthetic is requested?

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My understanding is that full synthetic is best with the turbos because it helps keep it/them from carbon build up. I may have that misunderstood or whatever, but that's what I've read on this forum in other threads.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yup you can ask your dealer to use Motorcraft Full-Synthetic. They should have it in-stock for the performance vehicles that require full synth. Mustang GT500, F-150 Raptor R, Ford GT, etc. Pretty much anything supercharged.

Obviously your oil change will cost more, but they should be able to do it.
My understanding is that full synthetic is best with the turbos because it helps keep it/them from carbon build up. I may have that misunderstood or whatever, but that's what I've read on this forum in other threads.
That's one reason of many.

But again... blends are really good nowadays. What matter more is how often you change your oil, not necessarily whether you use a full synth or a synth blend. Keep it under 5000 miles between oil changes (or every 8-10 months if you don't drive much) and it should be fine.

Most people use the oil life monitor in the vehicle, which isn't super intelligent to begin with. It'll tell you that you need to change your oil at 7000 miles or so under normal conditions, which is definitely the upper bound to begin with. And then their life gets busy and you forget to make an appointment. Then eventually they call the dealership and appointments are booked 4+ weeks out, and before you know it the oil is getting changed every 8000-10000 miles instead of 5000 - 7000 miles.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

But again... blends are really good nowadays. What matter more is how often you change your oil, not necessarily whether you use a full synth or a synth blend. Keep it under 5000 miles between oil changes (or every 8-10 months if you don't drive much) and it should be fine.
My oil change place last time was like, "Hey, yeah... You came in 800 miles ago, you really want to change it now?" 👀 I had forgotten I had just come in, which was a little early, then I hit 10.5k miles, oh I need a change...

Bronco574

Base
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2022 f150 powerboost
Your Bronco Model
Base
Interesting fact, the 2.7l engine has a wet drive belt inside the motor connecting the crankshaft. Usually they are chain metal. This drive belt can be affected by type of motor oil. I always use motor craft blend or synthetic. For thought.

Sponsored

JeffL

Base
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye / 2023 Base SAS
Your Bronco Model
Base
yes i just had my first one done and requested full synthetic it was no issue just more $$

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I believe there was a member here that had developed cam phaser rattle. He noticed that going back to the Motorcraft Blend quieted them down (I think until he got it fixed).

But I too don't understand the blend spec. You can get Full Synth, Ford Spec'd Oil for cheap.

GoHack

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If the Bronco engine were a non-aspirated engine (no turbo), then I would agree w/using the synthetic blend, but they are turbo charged.

With turbos, not only do they run extremely hot, but at very high rpms, at 100's of thousands of rpms.

As such, the Full Synthetic oil would be the better choice. Full Synthetic oil can withstand the higher temperatures.

Also too, come the winter, Full Synthetic oil has a lower pour point relative to the cold temperature, and so will get to the bearings faster.

It also tends to do the better job of keeping the engine cleaner too.

After my initial break-in, I went w/Full Synthetic myself using Ford's Motorcraft oil. When I do my normal 5,000-mile change, I'll look into using a better-quality oil, like Amsoil perhaps.

I try to use the very best on my vehicles, be it gasoline, and w/the oil/filter.
I cringe, if that's the proper word, every time I read someone using a cheap Fram oil filter on their vehicle, most especially on a new one. There's been too many stories of them disintegrating in engines, including stories from mechanics that I've personally delt with. They're a filter w/glued on cardboard ends if you look at the cut-a-ways.
Stay at the very least, w/an OEM filter such as Ford's Motorcraft.

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford Bronco Factory oil fill? Blend or full synthetic? 1692796953646

Guess how long Ford needs for your engine to last?...

MN_OuterBanks

Outer Banks
First Name
AW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 SuperCrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Mine gets a full synthetic from the dealer every change since the break in