Sponsored

Dealer will NOT use my Full Synthetic Oil in my Turbo charged ecoboost?

BadBradBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Cancel the service agreement, they should refund it to the lien holder as a principal payment or direct to you if own it outright minus a little proration and maybe a small cancellation fee. The real question is why buy the service package if you were going to use your own oil?
Sponsored

Cornbred

Raptor
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 F-250/Edge, 14 F150,202? Bronco Base/Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Man that’s rough! I kept receipts like that for a couple of cars but eventually fell out of the habit. I guess I better keep better records when I get the new Bronco.

Oh and I’ve personally observed some atrocious mistakes made by quick change oil shops. Not second hand - saw it with my own eyes.
Same, plus I don’t really mind doing it myself.

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'll say this...the Ford I currently own gets 2 oil changes a year, has had 2 cabin filters and is still good on brakes at 6 years with 47k miles.

On average when I've gotten "The Works" service done through Ford I have paid $60 per service. That's $120x6 with 2 cabin filters so in 6 years I have less than $900 in service done. At $4000 I would absolutely get a refund. You will never come close to using that much.

hozer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Vehicle forums are my favorite for just this.

This isn't a 3L running 35psi pushing 1000hp to the wheels. It probably doesn't get rebuilt every few 1/4 mile runs, and it probably isn't ran in the red for a lapping day.

What oil you put into the Bronco is not going to make one iota of difference so long as you change it regularly.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This bares repeating.

Let’s get a few things straight:
1. The dealer will use a full synthetic in your Bronco. The title of the thread is wrong.
2. You purchased oil changes and did not verify the oil that was to be used or the choices in oil.
3. Changing to full synthetic so early in engine life does not help. Full synthetic is too protective and does not help full break in from what I have been told.
4. Are you planning to change full synthetic oil every 5k miles? Wow. I believe bmw and Porsche both recommend 20k mile intervals.
5. A Ford dealer or most dealers won’t change the oil that you bring in. You have to go to an independent shop that agrees to this. They are getting harder and harder to find. Or do it yourself.
6. If something goes wrong, forget to check oring on filter the dealer will be forced to buy oil at retail when they redo your oil.
7. Saying it worked for 250k miles on your other vehicles while saying this is the first new vehicle you’ve purchased does not work. Fact is that those other cars you had could have had any oil at any interval prior to your purchase. Stop making things up.
8. Lastly Fords oil is fine and if you want free(prepaid) oil changes you will get that. If you want to spend $100 on each oil change you will do that. The choice is yours.

And no the dealer did nothing wrong!
The Motocraft synthetic blend that Ford has been using for over a decade in similar motors will do just fine in your turbo charged ecoboost.

Sponsored

Richtor

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Tremor 7.3, 21 Badlands Sasquatch Stick(order)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This bares repeating.

The Motocraft synthetic blend that Ford has been using for over a decade in similar motors will do just fine in your turbo charged ecoboost.
Did you see the Ford GT owners manual? It states that Ford Synthetic is fine if one can’t find the $160 8 qt edge oil.
45C6C669-E44F-4C48-AA33-95A608997B8C.jpeg

cardad

Raptor
First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor, Wrangler 4xe, Rivian R1T, Ioniq 5
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Yeah, that’s just a bad dealership. I’ve been to Ford, Subaru, and Dodge/Chrysler dealers and maybe a few more where I’ve brought them the oil and filter and they’ve changed it for $10-$15 labor. The service contract can be a good deal for full synthetic but that’s usually a step up in price from the blended version. I don’t see why they would care that you brought your own oil since you’ve already prepaid.

cardad

Raptor
First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Or at least have someone stand out the room while you are negotiating and have a signal to let them know you need help and can not think straight so they can come rescue you

absolutely no way I’ll pay anyone to change oil

no.possible.way
Are you kidding? The labor cost was like $12 when I had a fleet of ICE vehicles 5 years ago. The disposal alone is worth the cost of getting it done by someone else. In and out in less than 30 minutes usually and they have a more precise tool to prevent overfilling.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

First off... I purchased a 6 year or 60K mile service contract with my dealer when I pruchased my New 2021 Bronco.

At 1000K miles I changed the oil and filter replacing the Break-in oil.
I chose to use Fully synthetic oil (not the Ford Synthetic Blend) that met the ford spec for my 2.7. (WSS-M2C961-A1). Besides its a turbo engine... It doesn't take rocket science to see how this would make sense.

I've had two recent vehicles use this same MFG oil and ran them both to around 250K with no problems and the engines which both ran optimal when I got rid of them.

Anyway, I kept getting hit up by the dealer to bring my truck in which has 3K miles on it.
Sick of being harassed I called the service department. He said you have to bring in your truck to be serviced.
I told him I changed my own oil at 1000k He recommending I change it again 5000 thousand miles.

No problem, however I explained to him I don't mix and match oil. That, I stick with one oil and that would be the Fully Synthetic of brand XXX that meets and or exceeds the Ford spec WSS-M2C961-A1. I told him I would provide the oil.

He told me he would only put in oil the synthetic blend or other oil that they sell. I told him that I'm not interested in using the Ford Fully synthetic. That if it was so great why don't they use it in the Ford GT. Then I asked him what oil does their Dealership use for servicing the mega dollar Ford GT? He told me off the top of his head they have never serviced a Ford GT and he is not familiar with what oil Ford recommends...

Guess what??? Ford Recommends Fully synthetic Castrol oil????? They don't use the $15.00 per quart Fully synthertic Motocraft...in the Ford GT!!!!

Anyway, again I don't mix and match oil in my truck. Not deviating from that period.

I told him that there is nothing wrong with oil that meets the Ford Specs. WSS-M2C961-A1.

He said there is nothing he can do, It is the dealership policy to sell the oil they provide for their maintenance service.

I don't want to make this an oil topic, I'm more than comfortable with my oil of choice. (obviously good enough for:
  • Aston Martin. Factory fill in the Rapide S and V12 Zagato.
  • Bentley. Factory fill in 4 models. ...
  • Cadillac. Factory fill in the CTS-V LT-4, CT4-V Blackwing and CT5-V Blackwing engines.
  • Chevrolet. ...
  • Corvette. ...
  • Mercedes-AMG. ...
  • Nissan. ...
  • Porsche.

Does this seem reasonable for my dealership to flat out say they won't install oil that meets the ford specs WSS-M2C961-A1 that I provide?????

My problem is I've always serviced my own vehicles...
I never thought that this would ever be an issue.

The REAL issue is the expensive Service contract I purchased..... I feel ripped off if servicing my car just includes tire rotation and inspection and changing a few cabin and air filters.

Has anyone ever had an experience like this????
Personally, I dunno why anyone would purchase a maintenance plan... Purchase AND likely finance it as well!
I had a brand new SVT Focus many years ago... I always gave the dealer Mobile 1 full synthetic for the oil changes and they always used it (at least I hope they did!) No complaints.
Maintenance plan....? Ford doesn't even recommened servicing the transmission.... Ever! Are the diffs and transfer case also "maintenance free"?
It would be nice having them install new super blades every 6 months though 👍

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are you kidding? The labor cost was like $12 when I had a fleet of ICE vehicles 5 years ago. The disposal alone is worth the cost of getting it done by someone else. In and out in less than 30 minutes usually and they have a more precise tool to prevent overfilling.
Semantics
I actually changed oil on multi-million dollar cranes from 10-250T, for several years including hydraulic so I still never paid anyone.

No I wouldn’t maintain my personal business fleet of anything

but then again I’m not bronco forum baller with a fleet of ICE cars

I change the oil on all ICE objects I own and operate

but do tell. $12 included oil, labor AND disposal? You sir are one hell of a negotiator

I apologize and stand corrected. Ill pay that right now.

Sponsored

cardad

Raptor
First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Semantics
I actually changed oil on multi-million dollar cranes from 10-250T, for several years including hydraulic so I still never paid anyone.

No I wouldn’t maintain my personal business fleet of anything

but then again I’m not bronco forum baller with a fleet of ICE cars

I change the oil on all ICE objects I own and operate

but do tell. $12 included oil, labor AND disposal? You sir are one hell of a negotiator

I apologize and stand corrected. Ill pay that right now.
No, if you bring your oil (and maybe filter) then you pay the Walmart or Costco prices for those. I drive an EV most of the time now so I haven’t even thought about it in 5 years except for the RV which has only had 2 in 5 years.

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It sounds like you didn’t read the service contract that you bought. Does it mention what oil would be used? The dealer gets a deal buying whatever oil in bulk so they make a few more dollars using their oil Vs the oil you provide. I’ve never heard of a garage using the oil the customer gives them. I’m also curious as others have said why you’d compare precision engines to a truck engine. They are extremely different and might tighter tolerances Id imagine. Also, what vehicles did you go to 250K on? Oil changes or not, there aren’t many Fords going that far. Toyotas, some Mercedes, Porsche even- sure. Again, you can make blanket engine comparisons like that.
finally, you’re probably overdoing it with the insistence on your prized synthetic. It’s not going to make much of a difference on a new engine. There’s been many studies that you Google and read. I feel like you’re overcomplicating things, but that’s just my 1/2 cent worthless opinion.
There are plenty of fords, Chevy a and dodges that have gone 250k or more……. I own an F-150 with over 320k on the original drivetrain with no issues.

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base
Anyone that doesn't believe synthetic is better overall is delusional. I've seen first hand the differences in engines run on regular/blend vs synthetics. Far less tarnish and buildup in engines that run synthetic. Turbo vehicles especially like synthetic because they have better heat resistance from heat coming off turbos. I'll do a couple changes of Fords blend since the dealership is giving me a few with my purchase but after that it's going to synthetic. I'm also getting rid of that shitty drain plug for a Ronin
While there is a difference, it has more to do with how the engine was maintained.

My dad bought a 1972 Chevy Kingswood station wagon brand new and it lived on Quaker State for its entire life, he changed the oil every 3000 miles and drove the car for 280,000 miles. In the 80's I took the 400 small block out of it and rebuilt it, the engine looked like brand new inside - no wear on anything except the timing chain was a little loose - it deserved to be after that many miles. Had the crank polished (didn't need it but did it anyway), dingleberry honed the cylinders (no taper or ridge), and slapped it back together with a nice cam and continued to thrash it for another 100,00 miles in my El Camino before selling it.

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Misleading title. Their refusal has nothing to do with the fact that the oil is full synthetic, it has to do with the fact that it’s customer-provided.

Motorcraft makes a full-synthetic that they’d undoubtedly have no issue using, but OP wants his brand used.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

First off... I purchased a 6 year or 60K mile service contract with my dealer when I pruchased my New 2021 Bronco.

Does this seem reasonable for my dealership to flat out say they won't install oil that meets the ford specs WSS-M2C961-A1 that I provide?????

My problem is I've always serviced my own vehicles...
I never thought that this would ever be an issue.
Well, yeah, it seems reasonable that you paid for them to provide labor AND materials and now you want to bring your own materials? They cannot guarantee their labor using something they did not provide as part of your contract. When the brakes need replacing FOR FRIGGIN FREE as part of your contract are you going to bring those in , also?

If you already have changed your oil once, why do you want the dealer now to do it? And why, if you have a service contract, did you even touch the drain plug yourself?

Just sayin'. You either wanted them to do everything or nothing.

And your reluctance to follow the algorithms built into the oil life monitoring is your own business, but 10,000 plus miles between oil changes even when a vehicle is driven like Broncos are meant to be driven is the new norm
Sponsored