Sponsored

Has anyone ran Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic oil in their Broncos? Had any issues?

1986Bronco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 V90 T6 Polestar, 2018 4Runner, 1990 Pao
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Mine's usually at minimum.

It's 20 degrees out. Give me a second to throw on a coat and I'll grab you a picture to compare.
Sponsored

1986Bronco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 V90 T6 Polestar, 2018 4Runner, 1990 Pao
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I wonder how much got mixed in? Again, I'm hoping something is cracked and it is a combination of antifreeze and oil so Ford will step in. It's just an odd one.

Also, I've driven for thousands of miles on a cracked head gasket. Necessity and stupidity I guess. Got a bit of milkshake, never any honey. 302 and dino oil. I rebuilt that block later when I had time, not because it broke down and it was not as bad as I thought it would be.

I would love to see what's going on inside your block. I know nothing about Ford's current antifreeze and how it reacts with oil, blend or full syn, but I have made some non-EPA approved motor oil blends to undercoat Midwestern cars before and they were stickier than their individual components would leave one to believe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jimbob007

Jimbob007

Outer Banks
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 1996 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I wonder how much got mixed in? Again, I'm hoping something is cracked and it is a combination of antifreeze and oil so Ford will step in. It's just an odd one.

Also, I've driven for thousands of miles on a cracked head gasket. Necessity and stupidity I guess. Got a bit of milkshake, never any honey. 302 and dino oil. I rebuilt that block later when I had time, not because it broke down and it was not as bad as I thought it would be.

I would love to see what's going on inside your block.
I would be curious as well, but it seems enough to cause it to turn into snot

Arc

Black Diamond
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gmc 1965 4x4 SS Elcamino 72
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks all who have replied. So far it sounds like my oil isn't the culprit unless it was a bad batch. I'm also wondering if our recently cold overnight temperatures in SC could cause that. The below picture is another one the service advisors sent me yesterday
Ford Bronco Has anyone ran Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic oil in their Broncos? Had any issues? 1000013449

Sponsored

Arc

Black Diamond
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gmc 1965 4x4 SS Elcamino 72
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sorry Jim,also I live in the Upstate,I run Royal Purple or Amsoil what dealer are you dealing with and are they being ok with you. Sincerely Alan

OP
OP
Jimbob007

Jimbob007

Outer Banks
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 1996 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Sorry Jim,also I live in the Upstate,I run Royal Purple or Amsoil what dealer are you dealing with and are they being ok with you. Sincerely Alan
Glad to hear. I havent really considered royal or amsoil because of the price. Im dealing with D&D motors in greer. They're being ok with me now that I've provided them more proof that I've done nothing wrong. I'm glad they showed me the DTCs and their conversation with ford. I'm still being stern with them because of how serious of a repair this is and I haven't had the best experience with dealership service departments before. They seem to know and be understanding about the former. I havent had to get nasty yet, fingers crossed that ford decides to warranty the motor

Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Glad they are going to take care of it for you @Jimbob007 (y) . Hope the turn around won't be too long 🤠

OP
OP
Jimbob007

Jimbob007

Outer Banks
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 1996 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Glad they are going to take care of it for you @Jimbob007 (y) . Hope the turn around won't be too long 🤠
As of yesterday, the turnaround time is a couple of weeks maximum. Engine should be here by Monday but they had to order some one time use parts they forgot about in the initial order. So the rest of that should be here by end of next week

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Awesome news for you, glad to hear! And they were able to get an engine pretty fast too.

I still wonder what the cause of the oil appearing so thick like that is............

OP
OP
Jimbob007

Jimbob007

Outer Banks
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 1996 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Awesome news for you, glad to hear! And they were able to get an engine pretty fast too.

I still wonder what the cause of the oil appearing so thick like that is............
That's still undetermined for certain, but im gonna say probably coolant intrusion somewhere. The oil had a greenish tint to it
Sponsored