Tesla Cybertruck

Colorado buff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner 2000, Mini Cooper convertible
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I’m not sure why he’s a con man. Without musk, the big automakers never get forced to make electric cars, which will be better for the environment, covid-19 proved that less cars on the road will allow environment to recover, I don’t own Tesla stock or a vehicle but good for him.
Sponsored

Evanm14

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5, Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What makes you say that? lol

Colorado buff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner 2000, Mini Cooper convertible
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I disagree, until Tesla came a long automakers were doing the same thing they were always doing. Now they are doing the research and transitioning much faster to electric. He disrupted the industry. If you want to dent that that’s your right. Again, not a stockholder or Tesla driver. Too bad looking at it at $40. And then moved to 115$ and now what..$753 usd,

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

According to a recent Tweet by Elon Musk, this is what the Cybertruck will now look like. He mentioned the following changes so far (1) Lower windowsills, (2) bed will be shorter by 3% and (3) it will have a more center line. Do you Bronco folks like this?
EVwqQASXYAAZSri.jpeg
That thing is hideous. That it's supposed to be bulletproof is cool. That's about it.

EVs are a non-starter for me. Battery tech isn't there yet, and infrastructure isn't there yet.

Even once it is there, how do you carry extra fuel for overlanding? You're going to have to haul around a gas powered generator to charge it overnight, which means carrying around gas for the generator. Might as well skip the setup and the noise and pour the gas straight into an internal combustion powered vehicle.

If I'm going to get an alternative fuel vehicle that doesn't have sufficient infrastructure to support it outside of a localized area, I'm going with bi-fuel CNG.

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That thing is hideous. That it's supposed to be bulletproof is cool. That's about it.

EVs are a non-starter for me. Battery tech isn't there yet, and infrastructure isn't there yet.

Even once it is there, how do you carry extra fuel for overlanding? You're going to have to haul around a gas powered generator to charge it overnight, which means carrying around gas for the generator. Might as well skip the setup and the noise and pour the gas straight into an internal combustion powered vehicle.

If I'm going to get an alternative fuel vehicle that doesn't have sufficient infrastructure to support it outside of a localized area, I'm going with bi-fuel CNG.
The technology is not yet there but eventually solar blankets or tarps will make extended range overlanding possible. Think about your awning, vehicle roof, anything that will provide rain protection can also provide power(when its not raining). The military has flexible solar panel tent covers for larger tents. Eventually just like batteries power density in panels will make it so you can stretch out a 20x20 tarp on some trees or even on the ground. if you can get 2 or 3 kw an hour out of that then you could get maybe 20% battery a day. Go camp by a lake for a few days and you got enough juice to go over the next mountain. Granted its probably 5-10 years out for that to be a reality.

I do like the idea of a electric bronco in some years. I live off grid on solar in hawaii and have to drive around all day to put 100 miles in. I would just need a serious upgrade in solar capacity to do that. Not for everyone but maybe for me. If they can reliably waterproof the things.

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

The technology is not yet there but eventually solar blankets or tarps will make extended range overlanding possible. Think about your awning, vehicle roof, anything that will provide rain protection can also provide power(when its not raining). The military has flexible solar panel tent covers for larger tents. Eventually just like batteries power density in panels will make it so you can stretch out a 20x20 tarp on some trees or even on the ground. if you can get 2 or 3 kw an hour out of that then you could get maybe 20% battery a day. Go camp by a lake for a few days and you got enough juice to go over the next mountain. Granted its probably 5-10 years out for that to be a reality.

I do like the idea of a electric bronco in some years. I live off grid on solar in hawaii and have to drive around all day to put 100 miles in. I would just need a serious upgrade in solar capacity to do that. Not for everyone but maybe for me. If they can reliably waterproof the things.
Exactly. When the technology catches up, sure. Until then, I'll stick with gasoline or diesel as my primary source of go juice.

And once the technology does catch up, the Cybertruck is still too ugly for my tastes. Rivian's stuff, on the other hand...

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Yo
Exactly. When the technology catches up, sure. Until then, I'll stick with gasoline or diesel as my primary source of go juice.

And once the technology does catch up, the Cybertruck is still too ugly for my tastes. Rivian's stuff, on the other hand...
With foreseeable tech, you’d still have to go all Mark Watney (The Martian) and drive at night while camped and charging during the day, and what if you are overlanding in a cloudy area?

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Yo

With foreseeable tech, you’d still have to go all Mark Watney (The Martian) and drive at night while camped and charging during the day, and what if you are overlanding in a cloudy area?
That was a pretty good movie. And yeah, that's part of my beef with electric for off road tech. Instant torque is good, but the tech is just not there to be off the grid like that with a BEV.

Not only would you have to drive at night and charge in the day, but you're going to lose mileage running the lights so you can see where you're driving. Not to mention that both the air and the heat drain battery in a BEV even faster. You might get away without the AC, but if you're overlanding when and where it's cold, you're going to run the heat. At least with ICE, the heat is a byproduct from running the engine and has no significant bearing on fuel economy.

And both hot and cold weather have negative effects on batteries, whether or not you're running the aircon or heater.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yo

Yes the cybertruck is ugly however if there is ever a gigantic door that we dont want to swing closed it will make a great door stop. I like the Rivian styling better and that other massive one out of michigan (forgot the name but it has block styling and massive pass through cargo area).

I mean honestly i cant even stand electronic fuel injection. Give me 460 big block or a high compression windsor with a Demon carbor even better a Predator carb and i will love it forever. But unfortunately for most cars electric is the future. I dont think you will have to travel only at night, its inefficient cause lights use power too. I think you travel for a day or two, then chill by a lake and camp and cook for a day or 2. Setup the solar panels then put the canoe in the water do some fishing, next day hop on a bike and explore the area a bit. Next day battery is damn near full and move on.

For real if you think about it it gives you a hell of an excuse for returning back to civilization late because it was cloudy and you needed an extra day to charge;)

Sponsored

MT/SFA

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 F250 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m not sure why he’s a con man. Without musk, the big automakers never get forced to make electric cars, which will be better for the environment, covid-19 proved that less cars on the road will allow environment to recover, I don’t own Tesla stock or a vehicle but good for him.
Are they really good for the environment when you take into account all the mining of the copper and lithium used to build them. As well as using coal fired or nuclear power plants to charge them. Plus all of the government money to support the whole EV industry that could have been used for something better for the environment. I'll keep my gas and diesel.

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Are they really good for the environment when you take into account all the mining of the copper and lithium used to build them. As well as using coal fired or nuclear power plants to charge them. Plus all of the government money to support the whole EV industry that could have been used for something better for the environment. I'll keep my gas and diesel.
I'm going to step in and defend nuclear power here. If it's managed correctly, nuclear power is safe and efficient. It does put off water vapor, which is a greenhouse gas that everyone seems to forget about, but it has zero other greenhouse emissions.

But yes, the mining done to acquire copper and especially lithium is awful for the environment. A lot of people like to ignore that in favor of "Well, battery powered cars don't have any tailpipe emissions, so they're better for the environment."

And yes, coal is dirty. Even "clean coal" is dirty. According to EIA.gov, coal is the source of 31% of electrical power generation in the US, but the source of 66% of the CO2 emissions from producing power.

Natural gas is used for 29% of electric generation in the US, but only accounts for 33% of the CO2 emissions, with petroleum accounting for 1% of power generation and 1% of emissions and 39% of power generation coming from non-fossil fuels.
Sponsored