First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 F250 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm going to step in and defend nuclear power here. If it's managed correctly, nuclear power is safe and efficient. It does put off water vapor, which is a greenhouse gas that everyone seems to forget about, but it has zero other greenhouse emissions.

But yes, the mining done to acquire copper and especially lithium is awful for the environment. A lot of people like to ignore that in favor of "Well, battery powered cars don't have any tailpipe emissions, so they're better for the environment."

And yes, coal is dirty. Even "clean coal" is dirty. According to EIA.gov, coal is the source of 31% of electrical power generation in the US, but the source of 66% of the CO2 emissions from producing power.

Natural gas is used for 29% of electric generation in the US, but only accounts for 33% of the CO2 emissions, with petroleum accounting for 1% of power generation and 1% of emissions and 39% of power generation coming from non-fossil fuels.
I agree with all of what you said. I'm Ok with nuclear power, as you say if managed correctly. I believe in capitalism, supply and demand and free markets. Lets burn the coal and petroleum until someone can produce energy that is cheaper or equal in cost. Cost is the incentive to get people to use clean energy, not the government subsidizing something that is not competitive.
Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm going to step in and defend nuclear power here. If it's managed correctly, nuclear power is safe and efficient. It does put off water vapor, which is a greenhouse gas that everyone seems to forget about, but it has zero other greenhouse emissions.

But yes, the mining done to acquire copper and especially lithium is awful for the environment. A lot of people like to ignore that in favor of "Well, battery powered cars don't have any tailpipe emissions, so they're better for the environment."

And yes, coal is dirty. Even "clean coal" is dirty. According to EIA.gov, coal is the source of 31% of electrical power generation in the US, but the source of 66% of the CO2 emissions from producing power.

Natural gas is used for 29% of electric generation in the US, but only accounts for 33% of the CO2 emissions, with petroleum accounting for 1% of power generation and 1% of emissions and 39% of power generation coming from non-fossil fuels.
Just like solar nuclear power still requires alot of innovation to be a real solution for the future. The main environmental concerns from it aren't emissions but contamination. Spent fuel rods and higher radiated fluids(water) various parts of the process have alot of long term storage issues. We are storing the radiated waste products now better than we were 30 or 40 years ago, however we are constantly dealing with containment issues of materials from those earlier days. Its hard to say how our current systems will hold up in 40 years. There will always be problems. We really just need to keep collectively innovating and not rest on any energy technology that is "good enough for now".

OP
OP
Nickp

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nuclear power is literally the only way to have “clean” energy on a wide scale.

If y’all haven’t seen the new Michael Moore documentary(I know hear me out) “planet of the humans” on YouTube check it out. It’s not a perfect flick by any means but the absolute hypocrisy of the “green” movement is completely exposed. Absolutely wild stuff in there like how “biofuel” is now considered green. (Literally burning trees for electricity lol)

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ever since I was littke I wondered why we could put all our effort into fi ding an affordable way to eliminate the exhaust of anything we burn for power. Burn everything, trash, plastic, compost, the deceased, anything we dont use that will burn. Burn it make power compress the fumes with the ash put it back in the strip mines.

Nuclear power sure, but get to near 100% efficiency and use material till they are spent of any harmful radiation. If something will be radioactive for thousands of years then it should still have power in it. We give up on things when they stop having profits that are higher than last years profits. Thats about as sustainable as a balloon on a water hose. Its gonna pop.

The tesla truck is cool in alot of ways, like its tailgate and cargo cover but its powertrain is really just redesigned 1910s technology. Back then alot of city cars and trucks were electric, not a whole lot has changed other than capacity(and we stopped insulating wires with flammable cloth lol). I dont think an electric bronco will have any problem competing against the cybertruck.

Going forward we need fundamentally different technologies like atmospheric static power sources, efficient fission and fusion.

Sponsored

evoaire

First Edition
First Name
Evoaire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maybe a bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Nuclear power is literally the only way to have “clean” energy on a wide scale.

If y’all haven’t seen the new Michael Moore documentary(I know hear me out) “planet of the humans” on YouTube check it out. It’s not a perfect flick by any means but the absolute hypocrisy of the “green” movement is completely exposed. Absolutely wild stuff in there like how “biofuel” is now considered green. (Literally burning trees for electricity lol)
Several years ago, during the O admin. Dominion Power here in VA, was paid on some level, tax payers dollars of course, to convert one local coal burning power station into wood. Not sure how many more of these wood conversions took place. I remember talking to some of the operators and them saying that it takes About double the man power or man hours to produce half the wattage output. Sounds like efficient government to me.

Naegling

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Expedition, Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe someone with more knowledge of the auto industry than myself will know- but how will that headlight be street-legal? The brights are above the windshield as well; also a single LED light bar. No mirrors? And even though the glass broke during the on stage test, aren't windows supposed to be able to break in the event of emergency situations? On the same note, jaws of life will have one hell of a time cutting those A, B, and C pillars with the cold rolled steel or whatever it is.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I wanted to add some clarification. Our "jaws of life" extrication tools will cut through reinforced boron steel. Cold rolled stainless isn't a problem. Extrication will be very different with this type of vehicle construction, but it will be doable.

AgentKooper

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
“Wait a minute — Doc, are you telling me you built an electric truck ... out of a DeLorean?!”

tower9000

Black Diamond
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This thing will be delayed more than the bronco