Sponsored

That many people really hate the soft tops?

PecOBX

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Jeep CJ7
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I live in the Phila, PA area and ordered the soft top from the get go. I have owned multiple jeeps with just the soft top and have not had issues or concerns with road noise or heating the interior. I do not have a garage to store a hard top and with the 4-door version removing the hard top is a two person operation. Kids are grown and I don’t have two people handy. Plus I prefer the soft top so I can take advantage of unexpected nice days to put it down and it’s also easier when a sudden storm pops up when driving with the top off. I am aware that it may need to be replaced in 6-8 years (that’s how long my Jeep soft top held up) but by then I am figuring the aftermarket will have plenty of good options and figured out how to make the replacement fairly simple.
Sponsored

CarreraX

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E30 M3, 993 C4S, GTI
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If the bestop was offered on the 2 door I would switch if it meant I would get it earlier. Also, Im very concerned about quality issues with the webasto roof and currently no other option with a 2 door.

TonyWonder

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan Altima
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
No hook up for rear wipers or defrost, and it's not very attractive anyway. Aftermarket will have so much more to offer
This is the problem. I want the soft top. I do not want the hard top now. I want to buy one later, but Ford is forcing me to buy the hard top now.

Sighlense

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - 2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Soft top = hard pass

Sponsored

bchapa2002

Wildtrak
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I went with the softtop after seeing the video on the soft top and hard top. Since I don't have a garage, it will be way easier to take the top down on the soft top and I don't need to find a place to store the top.

The backup plan if I hate the soft top is to buy a painted white hard top once they become available. I assume installing the wiring/fluid lines will be possible. I'm not killing myself over it though, the rear wiper has been near-useless in every car i've had it in.
I just requested to change over from the WT to the Badlands because I had this same exact thought about the rear wiper. I forget its even there on our current SUV.

mrjerry469

Black Diamond
First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK DIAMOND
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have a BD 2.3 4 door MIC TOW. I emailed Mike and he said best chance is BB 2.3 with a soft top. I give up haven't decided what I'm gonna do. I refuse to change my order Ford really screwed this one up I don't care whatever BS excuses they give us. I'm a 3rd day res maybe time to look at a Ram truck or a Jeep . I got the hard top because of NY winters and 2.3 will take time to heat up.

Last edited:

teerussyo

Black Diamond
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Don’t forget that you can’t even get the soft top with the two door. Baffling I know.
This is the key that is depressing the adoption stats. It's still by far the #1 biggest fail of this 6G release - this thing is supposed to compete with Jeep Wrangler but no soft top? Are you kidding me?

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Zero percent chance I'd go with the soft top over a hard top. I don't really care for soft tops on anything but two door sports cars and even then would choose a hard top if offered.

But I'm also buying a Bronco because of its off-road prowess in spite of the roof coming off. If they'd offered it as a fixed hard top and the doors non-removable it would still be the top vehicle on my list.

Last edited:

AZBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know we call it a hard top or soft top, but to a simpleton like me, its a roof. And the roof of the car is something that a manufacturer should realize people are going to want. Having delays on this component is baffling to me. Although I guess I don't want them to rush either. I also think there is a lack of transparency and the delay in the MIC hard top is the real reason they are installing the sound deadening liner for free - we (or at least me) just didn't see it at the time.

Sponsored

Panaran

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CX5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yup, the OEM softtop is horrible IMO, just the style of it. I'm ordering the Bestop through my dealer

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just out of curiosity - why don’t you think the side windows will last? The clips?
It’s my belief that the rear windows on the 4D soft top will age out very quickly and crack. I believe that the rear access tilt up function will essentially eat the windows due to repetitive stress. Each time you open the back the window needs to bend to accommodate this movement. In my experience these types of windows do not like that and will eventually crack.

I also believe that the patterning of the soft tops is poor. They do not sit flat or show proper even tension.

Last edited:

Panaran

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CX5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It’s my belief that the rear windows on the 4D soft top will age out very quickly and crack. I believe that the rear access tilt up function will essentially eat the windows due to repetitive stress. Each time you open the back the window needs to bend to accommodate this movement. In my experience these types of windows do not like that and will eventually crack.

I also believe that the patterning of the soft tops are well, poor. They don’t sit flat or show proper even tension.
At the Bronco event I went to in April, the little rod that holds up the soft top rear window when you're loading cargo already broke off. The part looked cheap as hell, if that's what comes on the actual builds, it just cements my views on the OWM softtop being a ugly trashbag.