Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is so frickin' cool! Thanks so much, Mac, for some of the most classic, beautiful American automotive designs of all time!
Sponsored

WClintM

Badlands
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Really neat.

wally

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Two thumbs up sir!!! Thank you for many years of enjoyment I had with my 1974!!! And hope to have with my 2022!!??!!

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A tip of the cup from Canada
Ford Bronco The Jackie Robinson of automotive design who helped shape the Bronco forever syrup

M Redwood

Big Bend
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BB,BASE
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
the restoration and resale (60 -100k) of gen 1 broncs for 50 years is proof of his amazing skills and taste. I've waited for this retro style rebuild for about 40 years....

Sponsored

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

great story, thanks for sharing that! A visionary at work.

Scopebit

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Today on the Bronco6G forum we are going to argue about 2dr vs 4dr, 2.7 vs 2.3, wheel size, tire size, trim accent colors, ADM and allocation but the one thing we all agree on is that Ford did a great job combining the classic retro look of the early Bronco with a modern off-roader. One of the main people we have to thank for this is McKinley Thompson Jr. who some call the Jackie Robinson of automotive design. In 1953, fresh out of the military, McKinley entered a drawing contest put on by Motor Trend magazine titled, "From Dream to Drawing Board to..." He was one of five winners and earned a scholarship to Art Center College of Design in California and in 1956 was hired by Ford Motor Company. In 1963 he drew the first Bronco. He was not the lead Bronco designer (By that time he had moved on to the Mustang, Thunderbird and GT40 racer) but his early drawings greatly shaped the Broncos most of us are still waiting on. So today on MLK Holiday I suggest we all grab an adult beverage of our choice and I propose a toast to "Mac" Thompson who in 1963, nailed it!

Ford Bronco The Jackie Robinson of automotive design who helped shape the Bronco forever syrup
Thanks for sharing this...i didn't know that cool story. He and others paved the way for many to follow.

Sponsored

omega145

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Recon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One of the best threads I've seen on here in a while. Nice job OP. Very cool to see a great story on a ground breaking individual that shaped the Bronco's history.

The Dmv

Base
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2d Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That’s awesome. Mac dropped some creative genius on this planet. I think he’d be proud of the new Bronco.

GreatDaneMom

Badlands
First Name
Diana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR Badlands; Genuine Buddy Scooter
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had read about him before. Thanks for posting! Since the Bronco will also be for the Danes, I thought it appropriate to post a pic of my Titan enjoying some Bowser Beer in honor of Mac!
Ford Bronco The Jackie Robinson of automotive design who helped shape the Bronco forever IMG_3766.JPG

West1

Base
First Name
DM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base with OBX wheels
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

this is so awesome. as one of (what i assume to be) few black members of this site, it sometimes feels isolating. it’s awesome to know the designer of the Ford was a black man as well.
I hate the fact that at times you feel isolated on the forums. I believe most people on here are united by a common interest in an incredibly well designed vehicle that is a fitting homage to Mr. Thompson’s original design. Being enthusiasts with common interests transcends any differences.

Macjr

Black Diamond
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad, 2020 Volvo xc40 RDesign
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Great story!!!