dcaero

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I test drove both a 2 door and 4 door, both Sasquatch. The 4 door drove very similar to my 4runner on the road, felt planted and comfortable. The 2 door felt more akin to a Jeep, not as planted and more throwable. I ended up switching my order from a 2 door to a 4 due to this difference. That and my poor daughter (who gets motion sickness) not doing so well in the back seat of the 2 door and not being able to put her window down. I was committed to a 2 door from day one and wanted that romantic feeling of a 2 door, but after the test drive I am really excited about getting a 4 door.
Sponsored

Tdifonzo

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We're only talking 15.7" difference in wheelbase. In general any vehicle with a longer wheelbase will "handle" better on washboards, but that doesn't mean it will ride better. My F350 CCLB will breeze across washboards near our house at 55mph, my daughter's JK 2dr 30mph is plenty. My F350 will beat you to death in general on the road, her JK is great and won't even feel some of the bumps that my f350 feels. Too many factors involved besides wheelbase.
Yeah, but we're discussing the same exact model with the only real differences being wheelbase and a little weight.

Sponsored

survivormanca

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went to the off-rodeo and noticed that the four door was much more stable on multiple different types of obstacles. I had a discussion with the guides there about it and they agreed and stated that the longer wheel base gives the Bronco alot more stability on certain obstacles.

On a few of them I thought the two door was going to roll over or pitch forward/backwards.

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, but we're discussing the same exact model with the only real differences being wheelbase and a little weight.
I think there's a big difference in the base suspension and the Badlands, Wildtrak and FE suspension.

Reactions: Jak
OP
OP

Jak

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think there's a big difference in the base suspension and the Badlands, Wildtrak and FE suspension.
Isn't the FE and Badlands suspension the same?

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Isn't the FE and Badlands suspension the same?
Yes that's why I grouped the Badlands, Wildtrak and FE togother vs the base.

Sponsored

Bronco1971

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

At street and highway speeds the bumpy ride is more a function of the suspension stiffness and frequency than the wheelbase. At low speeds off road I can't see anything contributing to a bumpier ride other than springs and dampers. Now, if you're gonna bonsai down a rough trail at speed, the bumpyness of the ride is in your right foot, can't help that. :ROFLMAO:

When it comes to on road stability at highways speeds, there, a longer wheelbase will make a huge difference in stability. If for no other reason, the larger polar moment of inertia makes the movements occur less quickly. Combine that with the larger radius from front to rear contact patches which makes steering movements relatively less severe. However, we need to keep in mind that the new Bronco has a well engineered IFS that shouldn't experience much changing in steering angles due to winds, bumps, ruts, etc. Caveat being, if you add wheels and tires that widen the truck a bunch you're going to start seeing more scrub radius and twitchiness.

Jsullivan

Base
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Explorer, 2016 F350 Diesel, 2013 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Throw a nice set of wheels and tires on it, <bam>, you're right back to sexier than any 4 door. There's a reason us old motor heads didn't hotrod cars with four on the door back in the day.
My build with the exception of OWL tires.
I'll also go with the Capable front bumper.
Also Go Rhino D1 Dominator RB's
I'm saving my weekly smoking money, 1 pack a day, I quit, I'll probably have enough to pay for the beast before I get it.
Ford Bronco Thoughts on 2 dr vs 4 dr drivability? My Bronco.JPG

BroncoRaptor

Heritage
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MBZ Sprinter Van 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I own a 4 door Outer Banks (non SAS) - test drove a 2 door Wildtrack SAS mannequin for a few hours - night and day difference. 4 door on 32' tires is so much smoother - great for family trips.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've had many vehicles, mostly 4x4s, that were in the 100" wheelbase range and they drive just fine. Compared to the leaf springs and 80" wheelbase I'm driving now (cue @604Bronco) the 2dr will ride like a Caddy.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've had many vehicles, mostly 4x4s, that were in the 100" wheelbase range and they drive just fine. Compared to the leaf springs and 80" wheelbase I'm driving now (cue @604Bronco) the 2dr will ride like a Caddy.
Like this Caddy?

Ford Bronco Thoughts on 2 dr vs 4 dr drivability? 1630356355861
Sponsored