Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Most people don't mount rock lights correctly for use on trails, or are going for the ricer look. Mount them to light up the ground around the tires, not the wheel wells. OP, sounds like you want to do it correctly 👍
Yep that's part of the reason for my post is to figure out where the heck to mount these to actually be functional for both seeing what I'm driving over better but also for filming. All my evening/night video from our Allegheny Discovery Route trip back in March was kinda meh bc you can't see the terrain.
Sponsored

Golfsnob

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Base 2 Door, Manual, 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don't have a need for rock lights but I did install 2 under my mirrors and tied into the dome light for puddle/approach lights.

Ford Bronco Thoughts on rock lights? IMG_8580.JPG

One more upgrade

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe Mogush
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Tesla Plaid X 22 Escalade
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I take it you mounted undercarriage rather than the wheel wells? Truck looks good btw!
Yes, in front and rear of tire. I played with a few positions that worked well with the cameras. The rigid lights have held up very well being mounted where they are. They are only used on trails and I would guess they have pelted a few times by small rocks. I do wipe them off when I wash it every month.

OP
OP
Roofus

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yes, in front and rear of tire. I played with a few positions that worked well with the cameras. The rigid lights have held up very well being mounted where they are. They are only used on trails and I would guess they have pelted a few times by small rocks. I do wipe them off when I wash it every month.
Cool 👍 The amps are so low, I was thinking I could just tie these into the aux switch I use for my ditch lights since I won't have any use for them off trail.

One more upgrade

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe Mogush
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Cool 👍 The amps are so low, I was thinking I could just tie these into the aux switch I use for my ditch lights since I won't have any use for them off trail.
That is smart, you would not use one without the other. I should have thought about that, it would have left me with an extra switch.

Sponsored

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

wait, why are we lighting up our tires?
"night filming"? - wha??
I think I stumbled on some Bronco subculture...

I thought Rock Lights were for lighting, rocks, and the ground, so you dont step in mud and have a nicer time getting in and out of the Bronco.

Why are people lighting up their tire - tops ?? And ugly wheel wells??

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don't have a need for rock lights but I did install 2 under my mirrors and tied into the dome light for puddle/approach lights.

do you have a thread explaing the process and parts list?
does it auto on / off & dim with the key fob lock / unlock?

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I run 8 Rigid white rock lights. In Arizona, during the Summer, I go off-road at night or early in the morning. The Rigid lights don't turn colors.

why is there no light where you stand getting in and out of the Bronco?
Why is all the light directly under the Bronco - whats the function? Road-kill inspection?

Dialtone

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend Mid
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
wait, why are we lighting up our tires?
"night filming"? - wha??
I think I stumbled on some Bronco subculture...

I thought Rock Lights were for lighting, rocks, and the ground, so you dont step in mud and have a nicer time getting in and out of the Bronco.

Why are people lighting up their tire - tops ?? And ugly wheel wells??
Puddle lights are for lighting up the door area for getting in and out of the vehicle. Rocks lights can be an advantage off road. For yourself or for a spotter. At the mall they're just stupid. Obstacle lights would be more accurate a description but doesn't sound as manly and manly is key.

One more upgrade

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe Mogush
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
why is there no light where you stand getting in and out of the Bronco?
Why is all the light directly under the Bronco - whats the function? Road-kill inspection?
My Bronco came with lights under the mirrors that can be turned on and off. Those lights shine where you would stand if they are turned on.

Sponsored

RideClimbNJ

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I went with Diode Dynamics. Very easy to install and high quality. I used the 8 pack but now they also have a 10 pack. The lights are white but I have the amber covers on.
Note: I moved the front two after I took this photo to eliminate the shadows.

Ford Bronco Thoughts on rock lights? IMG_4058

akturbo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, 3500HD Chevy, Rav4Prime, Turbo Skidoo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I installed ~18 pods, found a LED controller that uses the same app as my headlights, also a couple more controllers for the two LED zones in the cab. All the zones are sync'd or can change individually. Pretty much had to solder everything, 4 or 5 tiny wires per pod, soldering extension wires then to pigtails, must have a few hundred solder joints. I don't really use them often, I've probably used them more when I'm working underneath the Bronco than on the trail, lol. The interior lights are more practical, I lit that mofo up.

Ford Bronco Thoughts on rock lights? IMG_0173
Ford Bronco Thoughts on rock lights? IMG_0174(1)

Ford Bronco Thoughts on rock lights? IMG_0175
Ford Bronco Thoughts on rock lights? IMG_0177
Ford Bronco Thoughts on rock lights? img_3611_2-
Ford Bronco Thoughts on rock lights? img_4377-
Ford Bronco Thoughts on rock lights? img_4383-2-

OP
OP
Roofus

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

LewyOnMars

Wildtrak
First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco WildTrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have 6 of the rigid lights. I spent some time hunting around for where to put them in the wheel wells, and in general I'm pretty happy with them (I can get some pics of the specific positioning if you want). The one in the middle is mounted to the frame (using an existing hole.. but at the moment I can't recall how I did that.. I'll have to look tomorrow.. currently storming here). It's mounted to the side.. of the frame, not the bottom, but using some of the angled rubber mounts that rigid provided to point it down and out.

Wires from the back and middle are running through plastic conduit (that bendy stuff that basically comes in rolls). Mostly zip tied to whatever was handy and tucked away.

Drilled through the wheel well liners to run the wire behind them.. and then used water proof connectors after about 18 inches of cable from the light to make it easier to get the liners out when I (or the garage) needed to.

Using two relays for powering the lights. One connected to the upfitter switches, and the other connected to one of the wires for the under mirror lights ... that way the lights come on whenever the puddle lights normally would (unlocking the vehicle, opening the doors, that kinda thing).

Ford Bronco Thoughts on rock lights? PXL_20230906_004941538 (2)

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I went with the KC Cyclones 6 light kit (thought I'd need 8 but the 6 works well. The clear is SUPER bright! I switched to Blue - if I get hassled for illegal color I'd switch to amber or diffused white (although I think amber is also illegal in New Yorkistan also)
Original install thread:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/kc-cyclone-v2-rock-lights-installed.85071/

Some pics for here:
Ford Bronco Thoughts on rock lights? PXL_20231127_220934399
Ford Bronco Thoughts on rock lights? PXL_20231125_232108260
Sponsored