Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boss4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 Sasquatch 2DR; '78 FJ40; '85 T4R
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think this is the same obstacle. It was a tough one for the 2 doors! We didn't break, but had to get on it to make it. No upgrades, all stock still. We do have a set of the Icon tie rods as spares.
Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Tire hop is a killer.
plus the additional heavier wheels / tires will expontenailly make it an issue on the non 3.0 stuff. I have seen tie rods break on straight approaches not even wheel hop just heavier tires with lift and snap.

As far as CV axles, shock load will break those too but its a separate issue and not related to the tie rods. The video in here could break a CV if its violent enough. Ford has this tendency to "neck down" their stuff so that is where stuff usually breaks hence aftermarket stuff which is one diameter or at least larger.

The 74 Weld rack solves the design issue on the Ford racks and the way the rack bar is floated. I haven't seen the spec on the new FP one.

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If I install a tie rod sleeve or brace on my bronco, will the problem with the tie rods move up into the steering rack?

I’ve broken 2 tie rods and want to not worry about it.
-Brock
in theory yes the stress point will change
i use bronco buster brace and stock steering components now but i realy only mud and pre run dirt roads no serous crawling

Sponsored

StinkBug

Wildtrak
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Dallas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
We released our Tie Rod sleeves a while back with the fragility of the rack in mind. There's a balance between the tie rods being so weak you're constantly breaking them, and possibly then breaking other things, and them being so strong the weak link moves to the much more expensive rack. I feel that the sleeves we designed walk that line nicely. They support the weakest part of the inner tie rod (the threads), and where some other stop short we continue to the fattest part past the hex, but still leave a "fuse" inboard of that. Cheap insurance without going overkill was the goal.

https://www.stinkyfab.com/collections/bronco-parts/products/bronco-6g-tie-rod-reinforcement-sleeves

TRSleeve-1.jpg

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We released our Tie Rod sleeves a while back with the fragility of the rack in mind. There's a balance between the tie rods being so weak you're constantly breaking them, and possibly then breaking other things, and them being so strong the weak link moves to the much more expensive rack. I feel that the sleeves we designed walk that line nicely. They support the weakest part of the inner tie rod (the threads), and where some other stop short we continue to the fattest part past the hex, but still leave a "fuse" inboard of that. Cheap insurance without going overkill was the goal.

https://www.stinkyfab.com/collections/bronco-parts/products/bronco-6g-tie-rod-reinforcement-sleeves

Ford Bronco Tie Rod reinforcements TRSleeve-1
I use Level Up sleeves which are very similar. No broken tie rods yet, but with my driving style I'm not sure I would have without them either. I do think these are much safer for your rack than Broncbuster braces.
Sponsored