Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Do any states really enforce their front plate law? I’m not suggesting anyone do anything but I know for sure that in NV a high percentage of cars don’t have front plates although there’s a requirement for one.
in New Yorkistan they ABSOLUTELY will enforce it and pull you over for missing plate all on its own - no need for a separate violation.
Sponsored

Cetacean Sensation

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco & Bimmer
Your Bronco Model
Base
I thought you were talking about the cruise control thing up there, I don't have that.

So this collision warning sensor, what does it look like. If it was faulty due to my license plate blocking it, wouldn't my Bronco be yelling at me???

Edit to add: That black box in front of the IC, isn't that only for adaptive cruise control. I don't have that but a empty plastic housing is there on mine...

Edit to add more: If you click on your link, the radar is "If equipped" and not centered, it is more to the drivers side! Not all Broncos have it!!!
The radar unit is the rectangular plastic box mounted in the center of the FMIC cutout. It is utilized by the adaptive cruise control and forward collision warning systems. All broncos have forward collision warning, so all broncos have the radar transceiver.

It can't be in the exact location shown on the Ford document. That would place the transceiver behind metal on the capable and modular bumper. Radar generally doesn't work behind metal, and if it does, it works in a significantly compromised way. If the latter is closer to the truth, the car may not throw a warning, but it won't work to warn or slow the vehicle in an emergency situation.

Between the risk and the potential insurance liability, it's not worth covering it to me.

And that's before we talk about the way further covering the FMIC messes with your IATs. And how that makes a turbo motor run poorly.

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The radar unit is the rectangular plastic box mounted in the center of the FMIC cutout. It is utilized by the adaptive cruise control and forward collision warning systems. All broncos have forward collision warning, so all broncos have the radar transceiver.

It can't be in the exact location shown on the Ford document. That would place the transceiver behind metal on the capable and modular bumper. Radar generally doesn't work behind metal, and if it does, it works in a significantly compromised way. If the latter is closer to the truth, the car may not throw a warning, but it won't work to warn or slow the vehicle in an emergency situation.

Between the risk and the potential insurance liability, it's not worth covering it to me.

And that's before we talk about the way further covering the FMIC messes with your IATs. And how that makes a turbo motor run poorly.
Say what you will, but I think your wrong. The box in the center I beleive houses a motor for the louvers. I don't have an adaptive cruise radar, I KNOW I don't.

As for the inlet air temps, I see no issue there either. It's not a hot rod, it's an off roader.

I was just offering options to others, you voiced your concerns, people can take it or leave it as they see fit. I'm not concerned with my license plate being there...

Cetacean Sensation

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco & Bimmer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Say what you will, but I think your wrong. The box in the center I beleive houses a motor for the louvers. I don't have an adaptive cruise radar, I KNOW I don't.

As for the inlet air temps, I see no issue there either. It's not a hot rod, it's an off roader.

I was just offering options to others, you voiced your concerns, people can take it or leave it as they see fit. I'm not concerned with my license plate being there...
All Broncos have "Ford Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking". You can see that here. If the base mode has it, they all do.

That system operates using a radar transceiver. That transceiver is located in the middle of the FMIC cutout as shown in the Bronco Owners Manual on Page 264. Linked here and shown below.

I apologize for linking a document with an error earlier, but be assured the above the correct information. I checked it in both a 2021 and 2022 Bronco Owners Manual.

Ford Bronco Time to rethink my front plate mount 1663473441639

Last edited:

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ditch it, problem solved
Ford Bronco Time to rethink my front plate mount 123A94B7-C91B-48CC-83B1-0604B4190315

Sponsored

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

All Broncos have "Ford Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking". You can see that here. If the base mode has it, they all do.

That system operates using a radar transceiver. That transceiver is located in the middle of the FMIC cutout as shown in the Bronco Owners Manual on Page 264. Linked here and shown below.

I apologize for linking a document with an error earlier, but be assured the above the correct information. I checked it in both a 2021 and 2022 Bronco Owners Manual.

Ford Bronco Time to rethink my front plate mount 123A94B7-C91B-48CC-83B1-0604B4190315
You have informed me that yes, I do have Pre-Collision Assist, but from my research, we with base or no adaptive cruise control only have the camera next to rear view mirror for functionality, no radar (ACC Sensor) in the bumper. I know I don't have the radar in the bumper.

Cetacean Sensation

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco & Bimmer
Your Bronco Model
Base
You have informed me that yes, I do have Pre-Collision Assist, but from my research, we with base or no adaptive cruise control only have the camera next to rear view mirror for functionality, no radar (ACC Sensor) in the bumper. I know I don't have the radar in the bumper.
Can I see a photo of your front bumper? Because the last guy in this thread who told me this had the radar transceiver. So I’m curious to see if you actually don’t.

Also curious to see your research, because every photo of a base bronco I’ve seen has the transceiver. That includes the two base broncos I linked earlier in this thread.

You’re also getting hung up on this idea that the transceiver is for radar cruise control only. It isn’t. Look in your owners manual. Pages 262-264 all talk about the radar unit in the context of the collision avoidance system, which all broncos have. Fords system isn’t like Telsa’s, ford pre-collision works by using both cameras and radar.

Last edited:

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Can I see a photo of your front bumper? Because the last guy in this thread who told me this had the radar transceiver. So I’m curious to see if you actually don’t.

Also curious to see your research, because every photo of a base bronco I’ve seen has the transceiver. That includes the two base broncos I linked earlier in this thread.

You’re also getting hung up on this idea that the transceiver is for radar cruise control only. It isn’t. Look in your owners manual. Pages 262-264 all talk about the radar unit in the context of the collision avoidance system, which all broncos have. Fords system isn’t like Telsa’s, ford pre-collision works by using both cameras and radar.
I can stick my finger in that hole and there is nothing there.

Drivers Side
Ford Bronco Time to rethink my front plate mount 20220918_095206

Passenger Side
Ford Bronco Time to rethink my front plate mount 20220918_095237

Ford Bronco Time to rethink my front plate mount 20220918_095437

There is nothing there but an empty shell. No wires going to that empty box at all.

More pics
Ford Bronco Time to rethink my front plate mount 20220918_100116

Ford Bronco Time to rethink my front plate mount 20220918_100201

Cetacean Sensation

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco & Bimmer
Your Bronco Model
Base
I can stick my finger in that hole and there is nothing there.

Drivers Side

Passenger Side

There is nothing there but an empty shell. No wires going to that empty box at all.

More pics

Hmm weird. That's the first time I've seen anything pointing to the idea of that box being empty on the base. Curious to know what's actually going on there, because if it is empty I'm pulling it out when mine comes in.

lindsaykittel

Wildtrak
First Name
Lindsay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer, Outback, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I found that the "Call Sign" from Archetype Racing for the modular bumper addresses most issues. It is mounted above the bumper where the license plate does not get damaged and it avoids any sensors. It uses mounting holes and bolts that are a part of the HD modular bumper.

1663520220937.png

Last edited:

Sponsored

pequigah

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler/Ford F-150/Ford Explorer Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good idea and can be easily removed when you get off-road. For those not as handy making their own, this is sold by KR Off-Road on Amazon. (Source/ KR Off-Road Front License Plate Bracket Compatible with 2021-2022 Ford Bronco (USA Made) https://a.co/d/d2RAWiQ)
It's not cheap, but I bought the same one from 4x4TruckLEDs.com and have been very happy with it. In my opinion, it's a much better option than the OEM location and I haven't yet experienced any rubbing or anything while off-road.

Ford Bronco Time to rethink my front plate mount 88BBFDB7-E8D3-4FC7-8E86-D04A8AE5B779

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
in New Yorkistan they ABSOLUTELY will enforce it and pull you over for missing plate all on its own - no need for a separate violation.
Well you said it all in your first 3 words,lol.. jk
it is weird though cuz most states (now) wont pull you over and gig you unless there is some other moving violation etc. For instance theyno longer will pull people over in ct for too dark of tint on windows. They will get you on windows if speeding though. I did get pulled over yrs ago in ct for windows but now even with tinted windshield,nothing. OFF TOPIC,SORRY

Last edited:

SurfsUp85

Outer Banks
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4 door Outer Banks, Kia soul 4u
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Had a blast wheeling in the North Dakota badlands today. 37’s, and skid plates are next on my agenda, not much paint left on the gas tank skid. And, the license plate has seen better days! Still impressed with what this thing can do, running the smallest tires in our group, and it did pretty well.

Ford Bronco Time to rethink my front plate mount 88BBFDB7-E8D3-4FC7-8E86-D04A8AE5B779

Here's a bonus pic.

I'd say get a quick release bracket and just remove the license plate when off-roading.

MyWifesNameIsHonda

Base
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Chevy camaro, 2020 Jeep Compass, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It's not cheap, but I bought the same one from 4x4TruckLEDs.com and have been very happy with it. In my opinion, it's a much better option than the OEM location and I haven't yet experienced any rubbing or anything while off-road.

The irony of a “don’t tread on me” front license plate hurts my NY soul.

coadr

Badlands
First Name
Coady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Greenlane Offroad out of British Columbia has what I've decided is my favorite front plate mount, angles it down to match the skid plate better.

https://greenlaneoffroad.com/

Ford Bronco Time to rethink my front plate mount IMG_0354
Sponsored