Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, 2019 BMW X3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hello. I’m a tire newbie and hoping the forum could help check my research and provide advice. Also by me sharing this it might help someone on a similar path searching the forum.

Here is my situation:
  • Bought a Bronco off the lot in April 2022 with the plan to place an order for a Badlands once order banks reopened (Still haven’t opened and I will have 2/3 options that are constrained commodities).
  • It’s a 2022 Big Bend Non-Sqautch and no rear locker. Gearing at the standard 3.73. Your basic off the lot Bronco.
  • It is my Daily Driver. I live in Minnesota so a three peak winter rated tire is desired.
  • I wasn’t planning on getting new tires but since it is likely 2024 or later till I can get my dream Bronco I feel getting some tires that can improve the look of the Bronco while improving performance could be worth the money.
  • There are not many off-road trails near me and most of what I’ve driven are Forest service roads. I would call my off-roading pretty novice to beginner though I am looking to improve my skills (off-roadeo planned this year and I’m taking an off-road class with my own Bronco).
  • I’d like to go as wide as I can with a more aggressive look and I will be using my stock BB rims with a 7.5 width.

Current Tires:

Tires I’m considering:

Questions I’m hoping you can help with:
  • Is my research correct that a 285/70R17 tire should fit on a Big Bend rim? All three tires have a rim range that goes as low at 7.5.
  • Is it a big deal that I’m going from a 75 to a 70 tire? I don’t think that should be an issue but I’m still learning. Looks like I’ll actually pick up .8 inches in diameter.
  • If you’ve put these on your big bend rims have you experienced any rubbing or needed to remove crash bars? My research says no rubbing and crash bar removal is not necessary.
  • Load range C appears to be the standard for off-roading ability and on-road comfort. With my beginner status do you think I can get away with the Falken Wildpeak SL tire which is cheaper and lighter? I think I know what everyone is going to say but still thought I’d ask.
  • Aside from gas mileage hit and possible stiffer ride with a C load range is there anything else I should expect from these tires versus my stock tires?
  • Any and all advice is appreciated. While I’ve learned a lot I know there are things I’m missing!
Sponsored

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Falkens AT3W are a fantastic tire your neck of the woods. I lived a few hours south of you and loved them.

Either load rating works, I would go C if it was me, more weight more rubber. You want the thicker sidewall for them sticks cemented in the ice.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You might check out Falken Rubitreks, seem to be functionally similar to Wildpeaks and cheaper. Either way you can't go wrong with the Faalkens. And I actually run Load Range E's, so you know where I stand on the C/SL debate.
1000000029.jpg

OP
OP
Tdub0527

Tdub0527

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You might check out Falken Rubitreks, seem to be functionally similar to Wildpeaks and cheaper. Either way you can't go wrong with the Faalkens. And I actually run Load Range E's, so you know where I stand on the C/SL debate.
Ford Bronco Tire newbie looking for advice 1000000029
Those look great! What size are they? Did you experience any rubbing or needed to remove your crash bars? I think I should be getting C load rating, just seeing if I could save some cash.

I did just find these Falken Wildpeak A/T3W LT285/70R17 116Q C1 BSW CM on Discount Tire for only $250 per tire. It feels like this is too good to be true....what am I missing. This should work on the big bend by why is it so much cheaper than the others I've found?

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Those look great! What size are they? Did you experience any rubbing or needed to remove your crash bars? I think I should be getting C load rating, just seeing if I could save some cash.

I did just find these Falken Wildpeak A/T3W LT285/70R17 116Q C1 BSW CM on Discount Tire for only $250 per tire. It feels like this is too good to be true....what am I missing. This should work on the big bend by why is it so much cheaper than the others I've found?
First, I think you've got a good deal there, can't go wrong with that.

Now me doing me: I got 265/70x17 LRE because in my experience it's right for me. I paid $190, so $250 for bigger Wildpeaks sounds good. I also did a 1.75" lift after the photo, but that again was me, not for tire clearance.

Post some pics when your done. Some more aggressive tires on the stock BB wheels really liven them up!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tdub0527

Tdub0527

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nzoreo

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco (3rd one), Jaguar I-Pace, E class.
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

im running ko2's and im in western canada. had zero issues during that cold snap we had even on icier bits. they're more quiet and comfortable than the wildpeaks.

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hello. I’m a tire newbie and hoping the forum could help check my research and provide advice. Also by me sharing this it might help someone on a similar path searching the forum.

Here is my situation:
  • Bought a Bronco off the lot in April 2022 with the plan to place an order for a Badlands once order banks reopened (Still haven’t opened and I will have 2/3 options that are constrained commodities).
  • It’s a 2022 Big Bend Non-Sqautch and no rear locker. Gearing at the standard 3.73. Your basic off the lot Bronco.
  • It is my Daily Driver. I live in Minnesota so a three peak winter rated tire is desired.
  • I wasn’t planning on getting new tires but since it is likely 2024 or later till I can get my dream Bronco I feel getting some tires that can improve the look of the Bronco while improving performance could be worth the money.
  • There are not many off-road trails near me and most of what I’ve driven are Forest service roads. I would call my off-roading pretty novice to beginner though I am looking to improve my skills (off-roadeo planned this year and I’m taking an off-road class with my own Bronco).
  • I’d like to go as wide as I can with a more aggressive look and I will be using my stock BB rims with a 7.5 width.

Current Tires:

Tires I’m considering:

• Is my research correct that a 285/70R17 tire should fit on a Big Bend rim? All three tires have a rim range that goes as low at 7.5.
  • Is it a big deal that I’m going from a 75 to a 70 tire? I don’t think that should be an issue but I’m still learning. Looks like I’ll actually pick up .8 inches in diameter.
  • If you’ve put these on your big bend rims have you experienced any rubbing or needed to remove crash bars? My research says no rubbing and crash bar removal is not necessary.
  • Load range C appears to be the standard for off-roading ability and on-road comfort. With my beginner status do you think I can get away with the Falken Wildpeak SL tire which is cheaper and lighter? I think I know what everyone is going to say but still thought I’d ask.
  • Aside from gas mileage hit and possible stiffer ride with a C load range is there anything else I should expect from these tires versus my stock tires?
  • Any and all advice is appreciated. While I’ve learned a lot I know there are things I’m missing!
Toyo Open Country, stick to passenger rated tires for a comparable ride stiffness.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Koz44

Outer Banks
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Here is my situation:

Current Tires:

Tires I’m considering:

I switched out to Falken Wildpeaks SL rated on my OBX last year and have been very happy. They have just enough of a more rugged look (for me) with very little difference in ride quality.

I shopped all over for the best price and eventually just bought them through Ford using my Ford Pass points from the Bronco purchase.

Sponsored

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’m in Minnesota(Twin Cities and Gull Lake) and the Falken Wildpeak AT3W’s are fantastic in the snow and my E rated 315/70R17’s ride great on the highway, not harsh at all. I drove several miles across the snow covered ice on Gull Lake two weeks ago and they performed flawlessly in the packed and unpacked snow. We’ve had over 50” this winter so I’ve had lots of days to test them in adverse winter conditions and they perform better than the snow tires on our Range Rover, likely due to the deeper treads. Mine is also a non-Sasquatch(1.25” leveling kit for the front) and I did remove crash bars which is needed if you go over 285/70’s.

I have a 2nd Bronco coming in about 10 days and it is Sasquatch with the Goodyears. I have AT3W’s waiting for it when it arrives.

Ford Bronco Tire newbie looking for advice 9E1E0FFB-0292-44E4-AB1B-0A30FE18E26C

OP
OP
Tdub0527

Tdub0527

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it helps, I just got your first choice tire installed on mine last week, same size even. There's zero rubbing and the ride is great:

Ford Bronco Tire newbie looking for advice 1674047439433
Awesome! Looks great! Thanks for the pic too!

OP
OP
Tdub0527

Tdub0527

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m in Minnesota(Twin Cities and Gull Lake) and the Falken Wildpeak AT3W’s are fantastic in the snow and my E rated 315/70R17’s ride great on the highway, not harsh at all. I drove several miles across the snow covered ice on Gull Lake two weeks ago and they performed flawlessly in the packed and unpacked snow. We’ve had over 50” this winter so I’ve had lots of days to test them in adverse winter conditions and they perform better than the snow tires on our Range Rover, likely due to the deeper treads. Mine is also a non-Sasquatch(1.25” leveling kit for the front) and I did remove crash bars which is needed if you go over 285/70’s.

I have a 2nd Bronco coming in about 10 days and it is Sasquatch with the Goodyears. I have AT3W’s waiting for it when it arrives.

Ford Bronco Tire newbie looking for advice 1674047439433
Super helpful, thanks for the reply! Your ride looks amazing too.

MudMonsterRacin

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1, 2016 F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I replied to your post in the 33s thread. Im probably going Falken Wildpeaks . They claim they hold less rocks in the tread because of the design. I looked at the Rubitreks as well but you cant get them in a c load range in the 285/70/17. Ive seen a few badlands broncos on lots with Ko2s on them with rocks stuck throughout the tread so that eliminates them for me too unless i can find a cheap takeoff set. New they cost at least 50 bucks more a tire than the wildpeaks too.
Sponsored