Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is my first SUV with 4WD. And also first SUV with large 35" tires.

My question is, what does everyone do about tire shine? When the dealer delivered it, there was slop all over the tires. Way more than I usually put on a vehicle. With the size of these tires, the amount of tire shine you have to put on to cover them is considerable. And that tire shine, well a good bit of it ends up on the car.

So what is the general consensus with Broncos, Jeeps/off-road vehicles. Is it just a given that we don't put any sort of tire shine or tire treatment on? I personally think it does look nice to have a deep black (but not glossed up) tire. But at the same time, the amount of slop that you have to apply along with what gets all over your car, makes it kind of not worth it IMO.

Is there an alternative to shine, that keeps tires black but not sloppy? I really dislike when they look "Dirty"/rusty/brown colored.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Bruzer22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Clean is fine. Shine is ok for street tires, I don’t care for it on all terrain/mud terrain tires.

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
They key is to use a good product. Dealers don't. They use trash like armor all or some generic bullshit in a spray can.

My personal favorite is Optimum Opti-Bond. Put it on with an applicator sponge and don't over do. If I need to drive the car right away I'll go back and wipe each tire down real quick in order after I've finished the last one.

No mess, no ridiculous shine, just a nice clean black tire.

It can also be used on trim, though i prefer 303 Aerospace for all my plastics.

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I never use shine, just get a good brush and scrub the tires at the end of your wash and they'll look good. I personally use a dish brush.

I'll also note that I live on a gravel road, so shine will only make the dust stick to my tires and they'll be gray before I even get out of the driveway. That's my main reason for no shine.

Sponsored

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
The key is not using too much of the product. I use tire shine on all of my vehicles tires. I first clean the tires, then apply tire shine sparingly. Then I use a damp or wet rag to massage the stuff around the tire. The stuff cleans well and will present a semi-shine at first then it will lessen into a super clean tire with little to no gloss as it dries. It removes all the brown nicely. Dealers and some people use way too much of the stuff- they cake it on in layers and it makes more of a mess and then the tires are a dirt magnet. And the stuff slings on to the fender flares and body. When I have taken delivery of a vehicles of the stuff caked on, first thing I do when I get home is to remove it- and it's quite dirty and messy!

The foam stuff is also good- key is also not applying too much.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m old school on tire cleaning. In the warmer months I clean the sidewalls with SOS soap pads to get all the grime off. I probably do this every third or fourth wash, more frequently if the tires have raised white letters that are exposed. The SOS pads clean well enough to make the tires black rather than the brownish rust color (which I think is mostly brake dust on the rubber). I then treat with 303 protectant for UV protection a couple times per year and I’m done. On my inbetween car washes in the driveway I have a tire brush I use with normal car wash soap that gets the sidewalls clean enough.

If I take a vehicle in for service I specifically request “no tire shine” as I don’t want it all over the fenders.

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Nay! I had the same experience...dealer used way too much and by the time I got it home the sides of the truck were covered in that slimy junk.

I like the no shine look. Just keep them clean with a scrub brush.

ifrankyr

Big Bend
First Name
Francisco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco BigBend / 2013 F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If you do add tire shine, just make sure to give the tires a good scrub down after off roading in mud/dirt. Overtime it’ll build up on the tire and leave brown patches if you don’t scrub them well.

Sponsored

truckatologist

Black Diamond
First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 dr 7MT, on order
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Agreed I have never liked shine products. I do put 303 on tires if I want to make them look a little younger, though

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nope.

Like @Bruzer22 mentioned - Not for off-road or truck tires. I used to use tire shine on some of my nicer performance/luxury vehicles. I think it would look awful on the Bronco, unless it was parked at a car show or Starbucks parking lot.

Sighlense

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - 2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Nay

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll probably use a cheap tire dressing like Armor All, prior to washing....
Cake it on, brush it in, let it sit. Then wash the truck like I normally would.
Clean, black rubber, no shitty shine.
Sponsored