Sponsored

To add or not to add 35s on a non sas Badlands????

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interesting thread. What many have said is the course you should take. I have a BL non SAS, but I went the route of full suspension removal and tire. I have a full Fabtech lift on coil overs with 2.5 dirtlogic reservoirs. I am also running on 37's. The gearing feels fine, but I also have the Ford tune, CAI, Exhaust, and some other goodies to help with the power department.

In all, I am happy with how all of it turned out, I was at first thinking going the tire swap route, but a few things fell into favor, so I went the other route. Whatever you decide to do, I think 35's do look very nice on the Bronco.
Sponsored

Bronco56

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Grey Badlands Lux 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have 23 badlandsā€¦ with fuel +1 offset wheels and 305/70r17 (34x12) I had to remove the rear crash bar. I had some rubbing at near full turn on front. I added zone 1ā€ level and now the rubbing is a smidge at full turn which I rarely need to do. This pic was before the level

Ford Bronco To add or not to add 35s on a non sas Badlands???? IMG_0338

after the level

Ford Bronco To add or not to add 35s on a non sas Badlands???? IMG_0564

huey

Badlands
First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI VW EOS GMC Envoy Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can't stress how happy I am going to 35's - went with 315/70/17 KO2 C rated tires
I have a manual badlands no squatch
so 4.71 gears and came on 33's
the overall look now vs stock is so much better.

The only other thing I changed was wheel offset, went with RTR 17" x 9 EVO 6 +30
I am happy with wheel poke - but did add AR racing stirrup running boards to help keep the rocks down
MPG difference is hard for me to put numbers to, but I'm sure it went from bad to a lil worse lol

good luck with whatever you choose!

20230429_172021.jpg

20230429_172001.jpg

20230429_171817.jpg

Ixr

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Your Bronco Model
Base
dont think it has been pointed out yet, OP said he wanted the wheels blacked out. If you dont get sas take offs from a wildtrack the ring is silver, which you can correct by having them powder coated. just throwing it out there, also the rings are a real pita to take off.

Screenshot_2023-02-24-16-33-57-59_572064f74bd5f9fa804b05334aa4f912.jpg

cactusmo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe you can try replacing the rims first and see if she likes the look, before you go full boar and replace the tires. I opted for the 33 in tires and optional rims on my Badlands because I do like the black out rims, but I didnā€™t want the extra weight of the tires and less MPG. Mine arenā€™t blacked out but ā€œgrayed out.ā€ And the extra 1 in you get be removing tires, cost, handling, mpg, removing crash barsā€¦isnā€™t worth it? So try blacked out rims first to see if she likes it, and then go from there. Hereā€™s a picture of mine with 33 in tires and optional rims. Itā€™s a 2.6 auto and gets about 17 mpg.

IMG_0916.jpeg

IMG_0915.jpeg

Sponsored

Mike T

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I have done what you are planning on doing on a 23 BL 2.3 Auto. I picked up a set off SAS wheels and tire that also came with front upper and rear lower control arms and coil overs for SAS all for 1900. Control arms all looked like the same as the BL has already so I figure extra parts when if they wear out or get damaged. Did nit install shock set up as only adding .43 in lift over stock non SAS BL set up and again figure spare parts when shocks wear out. Yes you could run risk of non-SAS shock hitting fender on full stuff because of the difference in bump stop but I really donā€™t rock crawl as much as overlanding forest roads are the main use. Crash bar removal a must. I added SAS flares for move tread coverage as Territory tires will throw rocks. Drove for a week or so until my Ford performance tune came in and will say maybe a little sluggish but the wife could not tell as she thought it was sluggish already so that made the tune an easy sell to her. After tune was installed it was a different vehicle. More peppy and great shifting. Another plus on tune is the ASS stays set were you want it, on or off. You can calibrate speedo yourself for tire change and regearing and it is a scan tool with optional gauges that you can display if you mount it which I did not. Very glad I did the SAS upgrade for appearance. Fuel mileage took about a 1 mpg hit after tune was done. Did not figure out the mpg with 35s as never went though enough fuel to fill and refill before tune but the lidar said it actually improved by 1 mpg which I new was false based on increase of tire size and less rpm for the tire circumference. Still have factory wheels and tires with 3000 miles on them for sale.
IMG_3101.jpeg
IMG_3007.jpeg
IMG_3010.jpeg
70502252179__BFD0CDD0-C44F-4DF0-BFAC-35C4EC45CBCC.jpeg

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe you can try replacing the rims first and see if she likes the look, before you go full boar and replace the tires. I opted for the 33 in tires and optional rims on my Badlands because I do like the black out rims, but I didnā€™t want the extra weight of the tires and less MPG. Mine arenā€™t blacked out but ā€œgrayed out.ā€ And the extra 1 in you get be removing tires, cost, handling, mpg, removing crash barsā€¦isnā€™t worth it? So try blacked out rims first to see if she likes it, and then go from there. Hereā€™s a picture of mine with 33 in tires and optional rims. Itā€™s a 2.6 auto and gets about 17 mpg.

Ford Bronco To add or not to add 35s on a non sas Badlands???? 70502252179__BFD0CDD0-C44F-4DF0-BFAC-35C4EC45CBCC

Ford Bronco To add or not to add 35s on a non sas Badlands???? 70502252179__BFD0CDD0-C44F-4DF0-BFAC-35C4EC45CBCC
Dang man, nice lookin' ride! :love: :LOL:

TrailDust

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco, 23 Bronco Sport, 97 F-150, 07 Cummins
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here's mine on SAS takeoffs. Crash bars removed, didn't do anything else. Took it on Hells Revenge fully loaded up with luggage, coolers and us and never had the tires rub, just hit the skids a few times. Plan to likely go 2" perch collar lift and run it till it breaks something.
Ford Bronco To add or not to add 35s on a non sas Badlands???? IMG_20230520_115805837

Richterman

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, Superduty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I removed the crash bars and put on 35s on my non SAS badlands. Drove it for a week waiting for my lift to come in. I changed both rims and tires. I went with 0 offset Methods. No rubs, but I wouldn't go off roading like that. Mileage went from 17.5 to 15.4. The 2.3 is fine with the badlands package. If you stay with stock rims, you don't need to change to SAS flares.
If i didn't answer all your questions, ask away.
DO it. You will not regret it

Sponsored

sfs1963

Heritage
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Bronco, 23 Bronco, 22 Toyota Camry TRD
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I have a 2022 2 door non sas Badlands. Perfectly happy with the 33's. I researched quite a bit and changed my build 3 times before sticking with this one. You only gained if I remember .06 inch lift with the sas package. Also, you will have less articulation with the bigger tires. I have the bead lock capable wheels which I read a while back was on the constraint's list for 2023. It is your vehicle build it as you wish and enjoy. Welcome to the club.

genevaguy

Badlands
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Toyota Sequioa
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I should probably put together a separate post at some point with all Iā€™ve learned on the topic, but Iā€™ve done this twice now on my two Broncos, one had the 2.3, the other the 2.7, both 4-door Badlands non-SAS models, both with the 35ā€ Territoryā€™s.

Key takeaways:
- crash bars will need to go for sure. Itā€™s easier to remove them beforehand
- Iā€™m in the minority, but I think the Territoryā€™s are a great all around tire and the light weight is a huge bonus from the rotational inertia perspective. Yes, they pick up gravel and will sling it on the under carriage and occasionally the lower body panels
- the 2.3 needed the circumference numbers updated in forscan afterwards and I did the AWD relearn too. The shifts were hard and not timed ideally. It was a 21ā€™ running the latest software for whatā€™s it worth.
- the 2.7 shifts were horrible right from the factory. When I went to the 35ā€™s, it was oddly perfect and I havenā€™t changed anything. I have no explanation for this.
- if you want mudflaps in the front, stick with the stock offset range. The Mabettā€™s I bought fit fine with non-sas or sas wheels. They were nearly ripped off when I went to a zero offset wheel.
- zero offset will fit the spare carrier and the camera works fine (on the Badlands model anyway), but they will stick out roughly 5/8ā€ from the rubber tire bumpers. Then you need the racquet ball trick or buy the extended ones.
- the MPG and throttle response hit wasnā€™t as significant in the 2.3 but more noticeable on the 2.7. Thatā€™s counterintuitive I realize, but has been my experience at least even with a lighter aftermarket wheel on the 2.7. Not sure if thatā€™s due to the free revving nature of the 2.3 or if there is potentially a different transmission shift mapping for each motor size. About 1mpg loss on the 2.3 and 2-3mpg on the 2.7 for me.

All this being said, 35ā€™s look great and seem to be a good deal easier than fitting 37ā€™s which are pretty popular around here but were overkill for me.

Hope this helps.
Good information neighbor. What did you do to get the 35's on the 2.3 model Badlands Non Sas.

3TooMany

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Badlands 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good information neighbor. What did you do to get the 35's on the 2.3 model Badlands Non Sas.
As mentioned in the post, removed the crash bars and used Forscan to change the tire circumference. You could also do this with the Ford Performance Pro Cal. No lift required.
Sponsored