Sponsored

To add or not to add 35s on a non sas Badlands????

70Mach1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150 PB, 70 Mach1
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My wife has been looking to black out her 2.3 auto Badlands and likes the sas rims. I am contemplating whether or not to purchase rims only for her 33s or get full take offs with the tires.

If full take offs, I believe I can get away with just removing the crash bars as others have done. I will not need a lift or change the spare tire holder correct?

What height difference would I notice on the vehicle?

For those that have done this what type of mpg drop did you see and how was the throttle response affected?

Ultimately she just wants black stock rims so I’m leaning towards replacing the wheels only but there are some good deals for tires with wheels. The bronco will see some trails but live it’s life mainly as a daily driver on pavement.
Sponsored

Rusty Sheckelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I don't know if it's the case with these new broncos, but on the older ones it is highly recommended to regear when up sizing to 35s, but that's coming from the stock 30/31" tires. If you're already at 33s, the jump to 35 isn't that much.

But it might be something to figure into your cost/bennifit analysis if you want to eventually optimize your setup.

TonkaTruck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My wife has been looking to black out her 2.3 auto Badlands and likes the sas rims. I am contemplating whether or not to purchase rims only for her 33s or get full take offs with the tires.

If full take offs, I believe I can get away with just removing the crash bars as others have done. I will not need a lift or change the spare tire holder correct?

For those that have done this what type of mpg drop did you see and how was the throttle response affected?

Ultimately she just wants black stock rims so I’m leaning towards replacing the wheels only but there are some good deals for tires with wheels. The bronco will see some trails but live it’s life mainly as a daily driver on pavement.
I’m very happy with my setup. I put Wildtrak takeoffs on my Non-Sas Badlands. I only had to remove my crash bars. I also put on some Sas takeoff flares.

No modifications needed for the third brake light or the spare bumpers. They both sit perfectly. Only downside is the rear camera picks up a tiny bit of the larger tire now.

After I sold the original equipment, it was less than a $400 change.

Ford Bronco To add or not to add 35s on a non sas Badlands???? IMG_4017

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Crash bar removal for 35's , definite yes.
Spare tire carrier , the nubs that help support the tire might need trimmed/adjusted/replaced.

34.5" minus 32.5" = 2"
But only half of that will actually change the height of the vehicle ... so 1".

I have a 2dr Base manual on 35's and 4.46 gears, I feel the 35's are just a bit too tall for that tranny/gear set.

I also have a stock non-Squatch Badlands 4 door, 2.3 auto/4.46 ....., I'd bet the auto will handle the 35's MUCH better than the manual.

I've considered swapping the wheels around on the two, but wanted the Badlands to break-in a bit more ... it's only at 950 miles right now.

sniffHound

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Do it!

Ford Bronco To add or not to add 35s on a non sas Badlands???? C3E7F852-AE2B-4176-BA8F-FCA68E1FACF6

Sponsored

Hdscreens

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My original badlands setup is the 33” KO2 but I bought a set of wild track wheels for $300 then ordered some 35” KO2 new for under $1000 but only a set of four not the 5. I plan on switching between them with the 33” for daily and the 35” setup for off road use mostly.

Currently, I don’t plan on forscan to adjust for the 35” but curious if anyone has run into any issues keeping the software setup at 33” stock but running the 35”?

3TooMany

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Badlands 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I should probably put together a separate post at some point with all I’ve learned on the topic, but I’ve done this twice now on my two Broncos, one had the 2.3, the other the 2.7, both 4-door Badlands non-SAS models, both with the 35” Territory’s.

Key takeaways:
- crash bars will need to go for sure. It’s easier to remove them beforehand
- I’m in the minority, but I think the Territory’s are a great all around tire and the light weight is a huge bonus from the rotational inertia perspective. Yes, they pick up gravel and will sling it on the under carriage and occasionally the lower body panels
- the 2.3 needed the circumference numbers updated in forscan afterwards and I did the AWD relearn too. The shifts were hard and not timed ideally. It was a 21’ running the latest software for what’s it worth.
- the 2.7 shifts were horrible right from the factory. When I went to the 35’s, it was oddly perfect and I haven’t changed anything. I have no explanation for this.
- if you want mudflaps in the front, stick with the stock offset range. The Mabett’s I bought fit fine with non-sas or sas wheels. They were nearly ripped off when I went to a zero offset wheel.
- zero offset will fit the spare carrier and the camera works fine (on the Badlands model anyway), but they will stick out roughly 5/8” from the rubber tire bumpers. Then you need the racquet ball trick or buy the extended ones.
- the MPG and throttle response hit wasn’t as significant in the 2.3 but more noticeable on the 2.7. That’s counterintuitive I realize, but has been my experience at least even with a lighter aftermarket wheel on the 2.7. Not sure if that’s due to the free revving nature of the 2.3 or if there is potentially a different transmission shift mapping for each motor size. About 1mpg loss on the 2.3 and 2-3mpg on the 2.7 for me.

All this being said, 35’s look great and seem to be a good deal easier than fitting 37’s which are pretty popular around here but were overkill for me.

Hope this helps.

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
We’ll, I guess it’s subjective but IMO Badlands wheels look 100% better than Sasquatch wheels and the 33” KO2s much better tires than the Goodyears as others stated. Plus with the 2.3 and especially with no regear wouldn’t go to 35s. I think a non-sas Badlands is best looking Bronco proportions/setup but that’s just me.

Tifosi2door

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford's
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So I have a 2 door non sas outer banks in EG coming in next month. I ordered 2" lift. found a set of 35 Goodyears literally brand new $700.00 and I just ordered a set of Gold HRE from @dsgperformance.

Can't wait!!
Ford Bronco To add or not to add 35s on a non sas Badlands???? hre-ft1brz_5

dsgperformance

Outer Banks
First Name
DSG Performance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dsgperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So I have a 2 door non sas outer banks in EG coming in next month. I ordered 2" lift. found a set of 35 Goodyears literally brand new $700.00 and I just ordered a set of Gold HRE from @dsgperformance.

Can't wait!!
Ford Bronco To add or not to add 35s on a non sas Badlands???? hre-ft1brz_5
I can't wait to see the final result 🤙

Sponsored

Bronc6g22

Badlands
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6, Tacoma TRDOR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd definitely recommend upgrading to 35s when you feel the need. Aside from about an inch of additional clearance, they look awesome! Maybe 1 mpg loss. Get wheels/tires you want. Takeoffs are certainly a cheaper option though.

Ford Bronco To add or not to add 35s on a non sas Badlands???? 20230501_142501

Last edited:

BlueWaffle

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco, and a trio of 80s GM's.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I put a 2" lift and 35s on my non-sas big bend, the size/weight of the tire did drag it down a touch.. but filling it with 91/93 would bring all its pep right back. I'm not that concerned anyways... it's still quicker than a Ranger on 32s..

Mpg went from 23 to 21.

I've removed the rear bars.. planning on removing the fronts eventually.

Bronccraig

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Challenger RT Hemi Orange
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I did this with my base BB 2 DR, but I added a 2 inch rancho lift, I for one love the sas wheels and GY tires and for 1300$ for some takeoffs from some guys SAS close by me it was a no brainer, as for power and economy, its still peppy as it was before but i have the man and i can choose the gear )

IMG_3040.jpeg

Fmuguira

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When I was ordering my Bronco I gave a lot of consideration to non-SAS BL, wearing out 285-70-17 BFG s and then next set going to 275-75-17 which is just short of 34”. Might be worth some thought?? Good Luck

Fmuguira

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Typo, going to 285-75-17 next set …..
Sponsored