First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'll take one of both, thank you very much.

Before i put my top 5 reasons, just to be up front, i am trolling. I very much look forward to my new bronco. I have had a 1995 bronco and a jeep tj and jk.

1. Jeep has been making a consistent product for many years at this point vs a first year remake of bronco.

2. Jeep has a more rugged look vs the more “car” like appearance with the straight lines of the bronco.

3. Jeep articulation is much better.

4. Bronco has tried and never been able to maintain. They have had the first gen bronco that is similar to the remake. The larger version of the bronco which was a total different look and purpose. The bronco II, and now a reboot.

5. Jeep has a diesel and V8 option.

Come at me!!!

Bronco Pilot

First Edition
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 BMW M3, 2018 F150, 2018 EA330SC
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The jeep is a great vehicle for modifying into a hard core 4x4, but it's really compromised as a daily driver. I dated a girl in college for a few years that had a Jeep and I drove one across the country. I blame my hearing loss on it's flapping top. Plus the seating position was terrible.

I saw the Bronco taking on Hell's Revenge in MOAB. That's the extent of my rock crawling desires. If the Bronco can improve on the daily driving experience while still offering competitive performance as a stock vehicle, I think it has a great shot at poaching a lot of Jeep sales. I don't think it will ever replace the Jeeps guys are buying and modifying as crazy rock crawlers, which is awesome to watch, but it's just not for me.

SuckItMcGee

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB, 2020 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So I bought a new wrangler last week. A leftover 2020 Sport Black and Tan, 2 dr white with tan soft top and seats and a screaming good deal.
So far, I'm in love with it. This is my first jeep and maybe I'll stop overlooking its flaws as time goes on, but it is my toy and it feels like a toy, which works for me.

I still plan on ordering my 2 dr basesquatch when MY22 banks open. That 2.7L ecoboost keeps calling me.

Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport, 2021 JLU Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The jeep is a great vehicle for modifying into a hard core 4x4, but it's really compromised as a daily driver.

I saw the Bronco taking on Hell's Revenge in MOAB. That's the extent of my rock crawling desires. If the Bronco can improve on the daily driving experience while still offering competitive performance as a stock vehicle, I think it has a great shot at poaching a lot of Jeep sales. I don't think it will ever replace the Jeeps guys are buying and modifying as crazy rock crawlers, which is awesome to watch, but it's just not for me.
The JL is much better than the JK in the daily driving aspect. I know for sure the bronco will be nicer than the JL on road but it simply won't do what my JK and JL currently do both with minimal mods. The Bronco should take a lot of Jeep sales which is actually great they need some competition. They have been allowed to sit back and do minimal improvements and still charge 40k for a brick on wheels.

Bronco Pilot

First Edition
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The JL is much better than the JK in the daily driving aspect. I know for sure the bronco will be nicer than the JL on road but it simply won't do what my JK and JL currently do both with minimal mods. The Bronco should take a lot of Jeep sales which is actually great they need some competition. They have been allowed to sit back and do minimal improvements and still charge 40k for a brick on wheels.
I had a chance to speak with some ford test engineers when I ran into them testing the Bronco in Borrego Springs California. I talked with them for a about an hour outside Carlee's restaurant. The engineer had two Jeeps at home, and he told me the Squatched Badlands is every bit as capable if not more so than his long arm Rubicon on 37's. He said it was hard for him to admit that, but he said, and I'm quoting here ... "This thing is a straight up Billy Goat"

He did tell me he was worried they had geared it to low to make it a terrific daily driver. He said they might have gone overboard with the low gears.

Granted the sample size is small and it was coming from a Ford employee, but he seemed genuine and he told me that he would personally guarantee "You won't be disappointed in offroad performance, I can promise you that"

I am cautiously optimistic based on this report and seeing the video in MOAB and the Rubicon trail that FORD has a real winner on their hands. I think it might surprise people. I am a harsh vehicle critic, and other than missing out on a manual coupled with a V8 - I'm pretty happy with the product.

Bronco Carlees.JPG

Front Quarter.JPG

Testing Borrego Springs.JPG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I had a chance to speak with some ford test engineers when I ran into them testing the Bronco in Borrego Springs California. I talked with them for a about an hour outside Carlee's restaurant. The engineer had two Jeeps at home, and he told me the Squatched Badlands is every bit as capable if not more so than his long arm Rubicon on 37's. He said it was hard for him to admit that, but he said, and I'm quoting here ... "This thing is a straight up Billy Goat"
I'm obviously biased but he is either not a good driver or he is lying. The IFS on the Bronco cannot physically articulate as much the SFA. I can drive up or down several 3 foot drops and keep all 4 tires on the ground and do it with ease and I don't have 37s or lockers. I'm sure you could go down it in the Bronco but you would be 3 wheeling and then 2 wheels on the second portion of the obstacle and that's not a win in my book.

Edit: Not saying the bronco won't be capable enough for 95% of people buying one. I'm sure it will be plenty. I just happen to be part of that 5% that does "extreme" low speed rock crawling with some trail riding. Also, not to say it can't do what the wrangler does but it will take alot more effort.

Last edited:

Bronco Pilot

First Edition
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I'm obviously biased but he is either not a good driver or he is lying. The IFS on the Bronco cannot physically articulate as much the SFA. I can drive up or down several 3 foot drops and keep all 4 tires on the ground and do it with ease and I don't have 37s or lockers. I'm sure you could go down it in the Bronco but you would be 3 wheeling and then 2 wheels on the second portion of the obstacle and that's not a win in my book.
I agree. I have seen Jeeps doing some incredible things, but I also didn't expect to see footage of a stock Bronco running the Rubicon trail either. It's going to be exciting to see the reviews when people get their hands on them and start running them side by side down the trails.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I agree. I have seen Jeeps doing some incredible things, but I also didn't expect to see footage of a stock Bronco running the Rubicon trail either. It's going to be exciting to see the reviews when people get their hands on them and start running them side by side down the trails.
I'm excited to see the Bronco out in the wild. The thing about the 4x4 community is its so welcoming in person compared to the street racing community I came from originally. When we are out and I see anybody out there it doesn't matter if it's a wrangler, Nissan, Toyota, other Jeeps, or whatever it may be we always wave or help each other out and shoot the shit.

Sponsored

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
He did tell me he was worried they had geared it to low to make it a terrific daily driver. He said they might have gone overboard with the low gears.
I have wondered about that.

My wife's ordered Black Diamond has 32's with 4.46 cogs
My Ranger has 31's with 3.73's and it drives really nice nice. Even with the slide in camper the engine (stock 5.0 HO with a 4bbl) just toys with the truck on the highway. And with the mediocre 2:1 NP205 low range plus a 5-speed it still does pretty good on trails too. No automatic trans to bandaid bad gearing at low speed.

Seems like quite a bit more gear for not much more tire. 🤔

Bronco Pilot

First Edition
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have wondered about that.

My wife's ordered Black Diamond has 32's with 4.46 cogs
My Ranger has 31's with 3.73's and it drives really nice nice. Even with the slide in camper the engine (stock 5.0 HO with a 4bbl) just toys with the truck on the highway. And with the mediocre 2:1 NP205 low range plus a 5-speed it still does pretty good on trails too. No automatic trans to bandaid bad gearing at low speed.

Seems like quite a bit more gear for not much more tire. 🤔
Yep, I agree. Although, if they are going to make a mistake I prefer something geared too low over something geared to high.

If I recall it was the 7 speed with the 4 Cylinder they were driving in Borrego. I just got a brief look at the interior which didn't matter since it was a test vehicle and nothing inside was stock. This was a long time ago and they made me swear to secrecy.

So one other interesting comment, and he didn't elaborate, but apparently some discussion took place at FORD releasing it earlier, but management decided they wanted to take some extra time to make sure they built a Bronco that lived up to the Heritage and was worthy of the name.

I don't know how much truth there was to that, but it was nice to hear that they made the commitment to developing an off-road focused Bronco so we aren't disappointed.

mjcutri

Heritage
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco HE
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

2. Never get bored driving on the highway as you try to stay in your lane with a vague disconnected feeling front end
So much this. I drove around a JLU with 20 miles on it for a few days and the numb steering feel was astoundingly bad. I felt like I was driving on the Turnpike ride at Kennywood. (If you're from western PA, you'll know what I mean.) If this is the "improved" on-road handling I keep hearing about, I'd hate to know what it was like before. It was way worse than any of the heavy-duty work trucks with solid axles that I've driven over the years.

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So much this. I drove around a JLU with 20 miles on it for a few days and the numb steering feel was astoundingly bad. I felt like I was driving on the Turnpike ride at Kennywood. (If you're from western PA, you'll know what I mean.) If this is the "improved" on-road handling I keep hearing about, I'd hate to know what it was like before. It was way worse than any of the heavy-duty work trucks with solid axles that I've driven over the years.
One of the early ones with the welds that would break? lol

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not better just different good in their own ways ,like a grizzly and a polar bear together on the trail both capable with weakness and strengths.??
I would not want to be on the same trail as a grizzly and a polar bear!
Sponsored