BP Bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Super Duty
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Is all about the tires. The tires (BFG K02 C 116) on the Raptors have a speed rating of 116 MPH and therefore Ford will set the speed limiter at 114. My F150 orginal tires were rated for 110 and it's limited is set at 108. And yes I have hit it. The F150 has 35" K02 and it drives fine at 108 but the gas pedel sotps working. I also have a CTV Cadillac that has ZR rated tires with a 192 MPH speed rating and according to Cadillac the car is limited at 190, I haven't test it nor do I plan do so! My wife freaked out on me at 140.
Sponsored

BRaptor23

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1, 2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

66Fan

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

OP
OP
Bojler

Bojler

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor, BMW M850i - both green /love
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Is all about the tires. The tires (BFG K02 C 116) on the Raptors have a speed rating of 116 MPH and therefore Ford will set the speed limiter at 114. My F150 orginal tires were rated for 110 and it's limited is set at 108. And yes I have hit it. The F150 has 35" K02 and it drives fine at 108 but the gas pedel sotps working. I also have a CTV Cadillac that has ZR rated tires with a 192 MPH speed rating and according to Cadillac the car is limited at 190, I haven't test it nor do I plan do so! My wife freaked out on me at 140.
This is correct. I just been to Germany and tested the max speed, and it was 184 km/h, which equals to 114.3 mph.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That was back when crashes weren't as dangerous, playgrounds were paved and we all drank Tab....... :cool:
Crashes were more dangerous. Yes, no exploding grenade in the steering wheel but no crumple zones, no diversion of engine below passenger compartment during a crash.

Back then NASCAR used actual street cars with performance components add-ons.

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Anyone who thinks freeways are not a safe place to reach top end have not been cruising at 85 on I80 west of Omaha (there's a song somewhere in that) and passed by a Prius or Pacifica

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It may be simply speed limited and not revs My OBX with 32's tops out at the same 101 mph

And, agree with you how stable and feeling not much different than 81 it is
Definitely speed limited. Engine will most likely feel like it’s cutting out when you hit that speed. My coyote swapped ‘73 F100 using a 2012 F150 computer was chopping out at 95 and 6k rpm before I tuned. Now no limiters, rev or speed. It will pull 120 in 3rd and with 3 more gears would be limited only by gears and aero. Obviously as stated never exceed tire ratings. Most big tires are going to be R - 106, S - 112 or T - 118mph rated.

Last edited:

Rjacks258

Wildtrak
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2019 Ford F250, 2009 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If it is electronically limited by the speedometer, I would think using Forescan to program in 30" tires, would be worth a shot.
Would not work. The limiter is just programmed to not let the vehicle accelerate past that speed. No cutting out, not shutting down, just no more go. Changing the tire size in forscan won’t do anything for that.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Absolutely, best to stay with Johnson Valley, Lytle Creek and Big Bear may be tricky at speed, but ha, that's what rollover recovery is for.

But you missed the point of the original post, places like Johnson Valley are scarce to non-existent in Europe.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Would not work. The limiter is just programmed to not let the vehicle accelerate past that speed. No cutting out, not shutting down, just no more go. Changing the tire size in forscan won’t do anything for that.
But doing it my way, the programming would believe I'm driving 90mph when I'm really going 103 (top number of my tire calculator). Isn't the program going to simply use the tire size it has been told it's running? If not how else is it determining top speed?

Sponsored

Rjacks258

Wildtrak
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2019 Ford F250, 2009 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

But doing it my way, the programming would believe I'm driving 90mph when I'm really going 103 (top number of my tire calculator). Isn't the program going to simply use the tire size it has been told it's running? If not how else is it determining top speed?
Not really sure honestly. It didn’t make sense at first, but who knows.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
If it is electronically limited by the speedometer, I would think using Forescan to program in 30" tires, would be worth a shot.
Hard to believe someone hasn't tried this.

I'm sure tires rated at 11X mph have a significant safety margin, probably permitting sustained use at 120-130 mph. As long as alignment and balancing felt fine and along with monitoring tire pressures, I would be entirely comfortable testing this rig and tires at those speeds for short durations.

My top speed calculation for this rig, accounting for both drag, frontal area and tire losses indicate a drag limited top speed in 7th gear right around 125 mph. That said, I've not had much experience correlating measured vs calculated top speeds for such large tire, clearly with larger losses than those on sports cars. Thus a bracket calculation is 120-125.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Hard to believe someone hasn't tried this.

I'm sure tires rated at 11X mph have a significant safety margin, probably permitting sustained use at 120-130 mph. As long as alignment and balancing felt fine and along with monitoring tire pressures, I would be entirely comfortable testing this rig and tires at those speeds for short durations.

My top speed calculation for this rig, accounting for both drag, frontal area and tire losses indicate a drag limited top speed in 7th gear right around 125 mph. That said, I've not had much experience correlating measured vs calculated top speeds for such large tire, clearly with larger losses than those on sports cars. Thus a bracket calculation is 120-125.
Yeah, who needs a tire safety margin for safety.

Team’s Poor Choice Causes Wreck, NHRA Suspension

Sponsored