Sponsored

TOW PKG (tow package $500.00 charge for DIO)

Zybore

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2024
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Just placed an order for a new OBX yesterday. Sat with my salesman and loaded it. Got an email from ford saying they received my order and i should be getting a production date scheduled in the next 45 days. My question is when i tried to add the tow package the next line item was a $500.00 charge for DIO. when i asked what the dealer installed option was i was told the factories are no longer installing the tow package. I was told the factory will send the tow package with the bronco but the dealer has to install it, now totaling $1000 for a $500 option. anyone have this happen to them.
The price includes dealer installation. The factory did most of the wiring and the hitch is four bolts. Some programming is needed but none of this is $500. And again Ford is paying the dealer to do this already.

Herewegoagain

Badlands
First Name
Maxemus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The OEM tow package provides full wiring support for a brake controller via a 7-pin trailer connector, plus a 4-pin connector for non-brake applications---that's a big plus.

If you only have plans to tow small trailers with no brakes, you could pass on the OEM tow package and install an aftermarket receiver for a bit less money. You'll still need to run a few wires from the tail/brake lights to support a 4-pin trailer connector.

Someone mentioned Ford may start installing the brake controller wiring as standard equipment in all 2024's. If true, that should make a dealer/owner installed **OEM** tow package (with full 7-pin and 4-pin support) much easier (as for cheaper--who knows).
I think I might be able to tow more with Harley. Broncos are pretty worthless for towing

AZBronc24

Heritage
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram, 2010 Camaro,
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Just placed an order for a new OBX yesterday. Sat with my salesman and loaded it. Got an email from ford saying they received my order and i should be getting a production date scheduled in the next 45 days. My question is when i tried to add the tow package the next line item was a $500.00 charge for DIO. when i asked what the dealer installed option was i was told the factories are no longer installing the tow package. I was told the factory will send the tow package with the bronco but the dealer has to install it, now totaling $1000 for a $500 option. anyone have this happen to them.
I ordered the tow package. It's not clear if it's a Dio or not. But it's the 500. My wish is the Bronco (at least the 4 door) tow rating was 5000 # instead of 3500 # it is. Many SUV's have higher rating up to 6000.

Broncā€™n Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Unfortunately this is how lot of accessories /options that are not available at time of line production is done now. It is a challange for you, the dealership and suppliers right now. I have the DIO parts show up before the vehicle, after the delivery and sometimes much much later.
The hitches have been coming in slightly before the vehicle at the dealership I used to work at ( I retired and do some part time things) and saw this message about hitches on FMC Dealer.com. I asked if they had put the hitches on yet and they said two and the hitches showed up before the Bronco. Easy install and everything is there and just needs to be activated by FDRS I am told.

Sponsored

KDWright5407

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Palisade, Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0T
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's been public knowledge (as in the information has been publicly available, not that everyone read it) since august or something like that at the tow pkg is a DIO for MY24. The tow rating for the Bronco has also been advertised as it is for years as well. I'm somewhat baffled why so many people are still surprised, appalled, and compelled to b!Tch and whine about by both.

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yes that sounds normal. I ordered an aftermarket kit and installed it in my driveway. $150 total and a couple hours of my time

DanPBronc

Heritage
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
If you go on youtube.com and watch Arthur Long Ford's review on the heritage or other models, they mention that the option tow package shouldn't be charged to install at your dealership. The dealership is reimbursed for the charge for prewiring the tow package at the factory. So it should only cost you the initial $500 as your option cost on the window sticker. Not an additional $500 to install. That dealership is trying to take advantage it sounds like.

TigerBronco

First Edition
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150 F/X 4, 2019 Honda Odyssey, 2001 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 BMY M923A2 M
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Be careful going this route - my dealer absolutely did not want to honor the online pricing for the installation. I got the keypad installed for the price but gave up on the tow harness after much haggling.

Ford really should crack down on bad dealerships.
Just had the whole setup installed on my '21 Bronco after buying the harness, hitch and installation on the accessories site. Dealership guy was shocked at how cheap I got the installation ($120 for the harness and $96 for the hitch BEFORE the %15 promotional discount). Said they would normally charge over $400 for that. He actually said, "well, I guess we have to honor that". They got the work done over two days and didn't try to charge me anything beyond what I already paid online, so credit to my dealership, Woody Anderson Ford.

That being said, no way the dealership is making money for that work at those rates.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Quit blaming Ford for what is clearly the DEALER screwing you over.
Itā€™s Fordā€™s logo over the dealership - you cant absolve them of all responsibility.

Sponsored

jrm5723

Big Bend
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
No, and I would tell them to keep their tow package...

HolidayDog

Everglades
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

On my order I also had the tow package for $500 and next line is tow dio $500.
If you add up all the line items the bottom line does not include $1000 for a tow packageā€¦.its only $500, and yes the dealer installs it. It is not $500 for the hitch and $500 for the install labor.

Apparently the dealer tow is the only way to get a 7 pin connection.

The DIY install for $200ish can get the 4 pin connection only.

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The install, while not easy is doable. There's a thread in the towing section that has all the pictures and a step by step that a 6G member put together. Admin really should've pinned that one.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I presume you are referring to @RoverDude Trailer Tow Install thread.
Copy the following link and paste to browser since im too stupid to do it the right way:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/tow-package-arrived-contents-inside.17659/

The first few pages discuss the hitch itself, which is self explanatory, with the only real heavy lift is a need for a torque wrench to do it right. The Good stuff regarding the wiring begins on page nine.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored