Gabriella
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Bronco, 16 Tiger 800XCx, 96 Duc 900SS/Sp
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

**Update** Kerri's GSA made it back to Seattle, but the dear side cylinder head needs replacing and the frame is tweaked. Deer did +12k damage before labour so the bike was totalled. **

My friend Kerri runs with the IBA crowd and was completing her first IBR this year. While on her return run from Seattle to Pittsburg she had a disagreement with a deer. Turns out the deer west of Gillette Wy aren't the smartest creatures, or they mistook her 700lb German landrocket for a particularly attractive cyber punk deer.

Anywho her father and I decided that the bike should be towed from the finish point in Pittsburg to Dad's house in VT to get it check out. Enter my 2022 Bronco Base 2dr with a 2.3L and 7MT. Armed with a might uHaul trailer and the finest ratchet straps NAPA sells we loaded her bike up and took the scenic route through New York wine country.

During the trip we had sun with temps in the 90s, rain with temps in the 70s-80s and a one guy who waited until after we resecured the bike in a NY rest stop before asking if we needed help. But how did the Bronco do?

The Bronco is a light truck, limited to 3500lbs per Ford, which a bit less than the 5600 capacity of the older Rangers and the 7500 capacity of the 6G rangers. But it pulled the 700lb bike just fine. In fact my MPG went from 21.2 to 20.1 during the approx. 600mile trip. I stayed in the slow lane for most of the trip, and kept speeds between 55mph-75mph, but the truck didn't have issues with hill climbs or descents. Braking was adequate, though I wouldn't want to run a heavier load without electronic braking on the trailer.

Overall I'm happy with the experience. And towing wayward motorcycles is pretty much the only towing I planned to do. So mission accomplished.

Photo 1: Kerri's GSA with ~115k miles at the end of the IBR. Photo 2: Kerri and her GSA with ~105k miles at the start of the IBR. 41

Ford Bronco Towed a GSA motorcycle from Pittsburg PA to Vernon VT Towing 20230701
Ford Bronco Towed a GSA motorcycle from Pittsburg PA to Vernon VT IMG_2490
Sponsored

Last edited:

Danny's Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shoes! Waiting for that 2 door to ship!
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Sweet bike! Glad your friend is ok. Gotta ask tho.... what's iba and ibr? I? Bike association and bike rally?

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Sponsored

TurkeyRun

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, '02 F-350, 21 Expy, 4 Harleys and a BMW GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

"I never knew BMW made cars, until I passed one"
~ Unknown GS Rider

OP
OP
Gabby

Gabby

Base
First Name
Gabriella
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sweet bike! Glad your friend is ok. Gotta ask tho.... what's iba and ibr? I? Bike association and bike rally?
The IBA is the Iron Butt Association. Their lowest level ride is 1k miles in less than 24hrs. There are a lot of sactioned rallies, but the biggest happens everyother year and is called the Iron Butt Rally. That one is 11k miles in 11 days (milage ran between 9k to 12k).

Here is her map from the rally.

Screenshot_20230719_214513_Messenger.jpg

OP
OP
Gabby

Gabby

Base
First Name
Gabriella
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sponsored

Danny's Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shoes! Waiting for that 2 door to ship!
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The IBA is the Iron Butt Association. Their lowest level ride is 1k miles in less than 24hrs. There are a lot of sactioned rallies, but the biggest happens everyother year and is called the Iron Butt Rally. That one is 11k miles in 11 days (milage ran between 9k to 12k).

Here is her map from the rally.

Ford Bronco Towed a GSA motorcycle from Pittsburg PA to Vernon VT Screenshot_20230719_214513_Messenger

Wow! Buddy and I tried to ride from Cape Town to Cairo once when I was living over there. Made it to Kenya traded the bikes for an old Land Rover. Mad respect for that long haul riding.

Blue Hen

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
The winner rode over 14,000 miles this year in 11 days. Insane. Congrats to all that competed this year. I'm sure heat played a big part this year.
Sponsored