First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
j
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
kf9...something like this ( see below) ...IMO you would have to remove the drive chain when towing and re-install it when getting ready to ride ( greasy hands! and master links!?)...like Zack, I race a vintage bike and use my Frontier to get to the track and back, but a foldable trailer is in my future with the Bronco...hth:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/800lb-Motorcycle-Scooter-Carrier-2-Tow-Receiver-Trailer-Hauler-Hitch-Mount-Rack/224880619?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222222316530248&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=74835622736176&wl4=pla-4578435167592412:aud-807612879&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=&+wl10=Walmart&wl12=224880619_10001021951&wl14=motorcycle towing&veh=sem
That is for sure an option, but being new to motorcycling and all there is something nice about not having to mess with the drive chain, and just know the bike is ready as soon as you unload.

Velociraptor

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus RX450h, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great discussion! I was wondering this about the Bronco too. 300lb tongue weight. OK. I have been hauling my Husqvarna FE 501s with one of these: https://ultimatemxhauler.com
I have been doing this with a Subaru Crosstrek. My hitch has a 500+lb tongue weight limit but the car is listed as 200lbs! So far so good. The hitch seems OK, but it does affect the handling of the car at highway speeds with the front being a little light. I think the Bronco should do much better. I am wondering if tongue weight ratings are calculated based on towing instead of carrying since for towing a higher tongue weight would correlate with a heavier trailer and more chance for the trailer to destabilize the car. With a mc carrier you don't have that trailer moving around back there so perhaps you can go past the rated tongue rate? With my Crosstrek the hitch/carrier assembly seems very strong and shows no signs of bending. The biggest issue is that weight in the back making the front slightly light. That should be less of an issue with the much heavier Bronco. My mc+hitch carrier is around 320lbs.

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson Sportster
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Watching this thread because I'm in the exact same boat. Thanks for asking this question.

Reactions: kf9

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey Zack thanks!

I see in your picture your riding on a thruxton? or is it a BMW? Either way looks awesome.
My profile picture is a 1963 Honda 305 Superhawk... but we’ve got BMWs from the 70s through the 2000s, a Moto Guzzi, and bunch of Honda’s.... my wife is of the mindset that we should just have “one of each”.

As far as the folding trailer, I haven’t researched them, but I wonder if that “trailer in a bag” could be brought inside to your apartment or storage space... your landlord can’t make you get an extra space for something that’s not even outside! ;)

And as far as British bikes go, here’s a 2013 Thruxton build my very close friends (and fellow vintage racers) at Nova Motorcycles did that you might appreciate

https://www.returnofthecaferacers.com/triumph-cafe-racer/nova-thruxton-900/

Ford Bronco Towing a motorcycle? 191142_T_THRUXTON_SHOT_16-pc

Sponsored
OP
OP
kf9

kf9

Outer Banks
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
j
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I thought that with the top off, I could probably get a motorcycle in the back, the cross member on the roll bar may get in the way if the handlebar is too high unless it can be removed
(4dr Bronco)
I was thinking about that but was not sure about the extra weight be applied to the seat when folded down.

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson Sportster
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
I found a 600lb carrier on Amazon with good reviews, and I assume they must make a hitch to support it if they make the carrier, but I am trying to get a feel if the Bronco can even support that much weight. Thanks for your help
That's the kind of accessory that would only come through the aftermarket. But with a spare tire in the rear it's going to be extra tricky for a Bronco. I think the spare tire would have to be relocated or removed for this to work.

If people do this with a Wrangler then it probably will happen eventually for the Bronco too. I don't know if you can do this with a Wrangler. But it would at least a year after the Bronco is being delivered for the more complicated aftermarket products to be developed.

I have used hitch carriers but only for smaller motorcycles like dirt bikes (Honda xr400) the factory hitch would not be up for anything heavier than that. I guess you would need to move the spare tire to the roof, and replace the factory hitch and rear bumper with a combination unit with a stronger hitch. Then your talking about so much weight you would need to replace the factory springs with heavy duty overload springs.

You can buy heavy duty replacement springs for a Wrangler. So that part will someday be available for the broncos. But it may not be enough for such a large motorcycle.

I have seen bumper motorcycle carriers that go in the front of a vehicle and I have a friend who is planning on building one for a much larger truck he has. But he knows how to weld and it's going total custom.

Most people just go with a trailer for what your trying to do. Even a tiny trailer that two people could pick up carry away , fold up and put in storage spot , it would easily handle such a heavy bike.

It will be interesting to see what aftermarket stuff we will have 2 years from now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kf9

kf9

Outer Banks
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
j
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My profile picture is a 1963 Honda 305 Superhawk... but we’ve got BMWs from the 70s through the 2000s, a Moto Guzzi, and bunch of Honda’s.... my wife is of the mindset that we should just have “one of each”.

As far as the folding trailer, I haven’t researched them, but I wonder if that “trailer in a bag” could be brought inside to your apartment or storage space... your landlord can’t make you get an extra space for something that’s not even outside! ;)

And as far as British bikes go, here’s a 2013 Thruxton build my dear dear friends (and fellow vintage racers) at Nova Motorcycles did that you might appreciate

https://www.returnofthecaferacers.com/triumph-cafe-racer/nova-thruxton-900/

Ford Bronco Towing a motorcycle? 191142_T_THRUXTON_SHOT_16-pc
Thats a gorgeous bike, right up my alley! Below is my current and first bike. I have done some simple mods on it like a fender eliminator and new lights.
Ford Bronco Towing a motorcycle? bonn

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
The Mrs and I ride a ton of bikes, and race our share of bikes... I know people who swear by the hitch mounted carrier like you’re asking about. That said, I’ve never felt comfortable with that set up.

Those people tend to use them for lighter bikes than your bonneville. The Class II hitch that comes with the Bronco is only rated for 300lbs tongue weight. Your 500lb bike cantilevered out there would make me reeeaaaaaly. nervous.

Not knowing exactly how much room you have available, but any chance a folding motorcycle trailer would be okay?

Something like this:
https://www.stingertrailer.com/product/trailer-in-a-bag/
This trailer would get my vote. it comes apart to such small pieces you could fit it in a closet.

Thank you for sharing this. I wish I had gotten this trailer a few years ago.

Sponsored

deznut

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

That is for sure an option, but being new to motorcycling and all there is something nice about not having to mess with the drive chain, and just know the bike is ready as soon as you unload.
Talk with the triumph dealer/service department...back in the day ( 50s-60s) triumphs had separate tranny/engine systems...they became "unitized" (in '63 ) with one oil sump/case...since the bike is tilted upward in towing mode...plenty of oil in the tranny area to keep things lubed and cool...and with the new "o-ring" chains you may be able to keep the chain connected and enjoy easy on/off...the design of the ramp/trailor in the link is not new to motorcycling ...I remeber seeing it back in the '70s.....good luck ...enjoy the new bike ...ride smart - ride safe!

comfour

Big Bend
First Name
cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I was thinking about that but was not sure about the extra weight be applied to the seat when folded down.
I think you are right about the weight on the seat, plus the tailgate swings out rather than down

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is the discussion that I have been looking for. One of the things I would want to do with a Bronco is to haul a dirt bike on a hitch carrier. I currently have two street legal bikes, one is a 350 pound dual sport and one is a 450 pound adventure bike. I would also like to have something like a WR250F which is under 250 pounds and that is the one I would put on a hitch carrier. I hadn't thought about the spare tire, but it sounds like you would want to remove that before using a hitch carrier.

I am much less likely to actually buy a new Bronco if it can't handle a dirt bike on a hitch carrier. I could get a folding trailer, but I could get a hitch installed on my wife's Escape and do that.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is the discussion that I have been looking for. One of the things I would want to do with a Bronco is to haul a dirt bike on a hitch carrier. I currently have two street legal bikes, one is a 350 pound dual sport and one is a 450 pound adventure bike. I would also like to have something like a WR250F which is under 250 pounds and that is the one I would put on a hitch carrier. I hadn't thought about the spare tire, but it sounds like you would want to remove that before using a hitch carrier.

I am much less likely to actually buy a new Bronco if it can't handle a dirt bike on a hitch carrier. I could get a folding trailer, but I could get a hitch installed on my wife's Escape and do that.
Removing the spare might not afford enough clearance, as the tire mount and camera will still protrude just as far. It would depend on how high the bike (seat?) is.
I imagine you could remove the spare tire carrier as well (not uncommon on Jeeps), but that’s a more (semi) permanent solution.
I still believe a small trailer is the best option after weighing everything.

Tortuga353

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Towing a motorcycle? E8821281-AA52-4D8D-A42B-6C009EC0706F

Very similar set-up on my Tiguan. Only 1500 lbs towing but hitch was 625 lbs and overseas same chassis tows 5000lbs just with different engine. I had no issues and similar set-up as guy with Husky 501. This is a 500 orange 501. Loaded down with gear I was probably pushing 330lbs.

I primarily use a trailer because this worked but I was a nervous wreck the entire time.
Sponsored