Sponsored

Towing with a 6x12 enclosed signal or tandem axle?

BroncMan

Wildtrak
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So, I was laid off from corporate America and am considering starting my handyman services. My long-term goal is to get a sprinter van. The short term would be to get a 6x12 cargo trailer and tow it with my Wildtrak. :unsure:

Where I live, I95 is used as a commuter road.

Is it best to have a tandem axle for safety, and Is the Wildtrak up to the daily towing task?

I sure don't want to sell my Wildtrak for a pickup truck.
Sponsored

ManSquatch

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Bronco, 17' F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With the broncos towing limitations I don't see how a tandem axel would help. They only add weight to the trailer since you wont be able to utilize the additional weight the trailer can hold.
I have a tandem dump trailer I tow with my F250 and it weighs 4,400 lbs which is already over the broncos tow limit without cargo.

OP
OP
BroncMan

BroncMan

Wildtrak
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
With the broncos towing limitations I don't see how a tandem axel would help. They only add weight to the trailer since you wont be able to utilize the additional weight the trailer can hold.
I have a tandem dump trailer I tow with my F250 and it weighs 4,400 lbs which is already over the broncos tow limit without cargo.
Totally agree, but I would not be carrying much weight at all. just tools and stuff.

jzweedyk

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 12' cargo trailer I tow, single axle, and have no problems.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have a 12’ single axle tilt trailer. Have to be very careful how you load the trailer and make sure that the weight is well centered on the axle. The suspension on the Bronco is so soft it’s really easy to get it dorked up. That’s mostly something like loading pallets of crap or driving a tractor / ATVs into the trailer.

That said, loaded properly it has no problems at all. I do miss the F150 camera being able to see the receiver hitch and solo connect it, but that’s a minor thing.

Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
^^^ This ^^^ Max tongue weight is only 300lb> Be mindful how you load and should be fine w/ single axle.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Even though your max loaded trailer capacity is 3500# and that would be fine on a single axle without brakes

1. 2 axle trailers will come with brakes
2. Your state may require brakes at a lower tow weight than 3500# and it may be based on trailer rating not what you are actually hauling
3. Empty 6x12 cargo trailers weigh on average 1200# and dual axle same size an additional 600. Tools alone can easily weigh 500# or more and even more if you need a generator and air compressor plus if you install a workbench and shelves. You should still have capacity for job supplies.
4. You cannot rent any trailer no matter tge size from U-Haul as they restrict any SUV with a removable roof, even Jeeps.

Despite all that, one or two more cautions as you enter this new venture.
A. Your state may require a contractor license and your city might require separate electric/ plumber licensing. And there may be state laws on requirement of written estimate with your state licensing number on it.
B. Your state/city may have sales tax which you would have to charge your customers
C. You will need additional insurance covering liability and workers comp if you perform work for any business in lieu of them using their own employees.

Work opportunities abound especially as I can attest in residential rentals, turning apartments including trash hauls and painting. as your business grows you may need an open or dump trailer as well.

fourdayoff

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands/sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you do decide to go this route after you have every thing loaded that you might carry have it weighed at a scale and keep the certification. In the event of a collision no mater who's fault if its over the 3500# limit the insurance does not have to pay. Could end up costing you everything you own. Jim.

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I towed a Coleman LT 17 camper with no issues - was right up around the limit. Bronco towed it like a champ. I also have towed a U-Haul 6x12 enclosed trailer many times with my '19 JLUR that had the same tow rating as the Bronco. So I don't think you'll have any issues with a 6x12 regardless of the number of axles ;)
Sponsored