First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have a 2 part question. I have a Yamaha sx190 boat. I am getting various info on actual weight but it could be close to the 3500 limit. What your thought on if I can tow my boat with my new Bronco. I have a 2022 4dr big bend. 2nd part is.. if yes it’s all good, how long should I wait to tow? I have heard you should put a few thousand miles on it before you tow anything.
Sponsored

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think you get out of the 1000 mile window for break in. I'd be fine towing at the limit but not everyone will be comfortable doing so. How much experience do you have towing? Does the trailer have brakes? Surge or electric? Are you getting the tow package or doing it aftermarket? Give us some additional info and we can give more informed opinions.

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That boat weighs 2377 dry. On the trailer with gear is going to be approximately 3500. I’d tow it, especially if the trailer has brakes. I towed 2300 lbs with mine a few weeks ago without any issue.

clarkT

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Will be fine. The 4 door should have a higher rating than the 2 anyway… no one knows why Ford under rated the bronco. Folks have posted doing 4k already thru all kinds of terrain. If you got trailer brakes (surge or electric), I wouldn’t be afraid of closing in on 5k (watch tongue weight). Maybe use spring stiffeners… without those brakes, still confident it will safely do over 4k… just slow down.

Same drivetrain in Ranger does 7500 (longer wheelbase, better rear springs). Explorer (similar wheel base) I think 5500. So … how much does Bronco’s Rear suspension detract?

For waiting to tow, 1k min and then an oil change should be fine.

Cooldude

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes e400 cab, edge titanium, ford f150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Are you driving around Charlestown, Boston robbing banks or driving around town waving at people?

In your bronco of course.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Roxydoodledog

Big Bend
First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I think you get out of the 1000 mile window for break in. I'd be fine towing at the limit but not everyone will be comfortable doing so. How much experience do you have towing? Does the trailer have brakes? Surge or electric? Are you getting the tow package or doing it aftermarket? Give us some additional info and we can give more informed opinions.
I have lots of experience towing trailers and such. Most of my experience is hauling heavy hood stock. I do have experience pulling a boat but it is relatively limited. I have surge breaks on my trailer. I had aftermarket tow package put on. I had heard that factory tow package wasn’t super great. I also added break controller which I am seeing isn’t necessary with surge breaks.

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base
I wouldn't be concerned at all, the "rated" towing capacity is always on the conservative side. As long as the trailer is set up correctly (tongue weight, etc.) you should not have any problem towing 3500 lbs especially with trailer brakes.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think about all the stuff I safely towed back in the day before I knew anything about tow ratings.
Most of it was proper tongue weight and don't drive like an asshole. Some of ya might faint if you knew how much an 80s Ranger would pull.

Sponsored

scubasteve

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Feel free to check out my thread here:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/towing-yamaha-sx195-with-2-3l-black-diamond-bronco.27689/

I tow a 2018 Yamaha SX195 (pretty much the same boat) with a 2.3L, Auto, Factory Tow, Non-Sas Black Diamond. Really no issues towing with it. I have an estimated dry weight of about 2,300 lb for the boat. With fluids, gear and trailer I estimate about 3,200 lb give or take. Add in gear and passengers in the truck and I'm operating right at the GVWR and tow rating.

I've had no issues towing it and have been very confident in driving it. I have a long road trip planned this year to from Long Island to the 1000 Islands area (about 7 hours of mixed highway/hills) and I have zero concern.

Would I tow something bigger with this truck? Probably not, but if you're looking to tow closer to 5K anyways you should be using something more equipped for the job. For your SX190, you're right in line with what the Bronco is capable and designed for.

jasonbradmorris

Big Bend
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm trying to find a thread that talks about needing a hitch extension installed if you opted for the sasquatch package. I have heard that you need to extend out the hitch. I have heard that you don't. I am just trying to figure out the definitive answer for towing my bass boat.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It depends on how much drop you need to make the trailer properly level
With enough drop. Maybe 4 ",you shouldn't need an extension

ModernDayDrifter

Wildtrak
First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Wildtrak Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm trying to find a thread that talks about needing a hitch extension installed if you opted for the sasquatch package. I have heard that you need to extend out the hitch. I have heard that you don't. I am just trying to figure out the definitive answer for towing my bass boat.
Yes, if you have a spare tire on the back, you’ll need a hitch extension. And I also added the EchoSmartControl blue tooth trailer breaks to my setup. It makes life a lot more comfortable going down the grades.
Ford Bronco Towing with my Bronco D11156DF-5DC2-49EB-B46B-0A0ED591616F
Sponsored