Sponsored

Traction Control? Stability Control? What is my Bronco doing?

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Today I drove up in the hills and drove to the top of a couple of mountain peaks. One of them I had never been to before.

So on the way up there on a regular dirt road (wide enough for two way traffic), I occasionally got into a loose corner with enough speed to slide the tires just a little bit. The Bronco reacted right away with what felt kind of like the Trail Turn Assist feature. I'm guessing that it was using the brakes a bit or something. Is this part of traction control? Part of Stability Control?

I just want to know what it was trying to do for me. And then I probably want to find out how to turn it off. ;)

Gratuitous photo from my trip today, on a much more technical road:
2Cg6MhV.jpg
Sponsored

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes that's traction control. Even if you turn it off it still activates at some point.
I have found that the best way if you want to let the rear let go in fast flow trails is to:
Go in Baja mode
Turn off traction control
Switch to "2H", this won't turn off Baja mode

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The GOAT modes will alter the traction control settings to allow more or less slippage in different terrain.

You can use the hero switch to turn off Traction Control. But this evidently doesn't completely disable it, but seriously reduces how frequently it kicks in.
You can press and hold the same hero switch to completely disable it, which I believe gives you an AdvanceTrac disabled notification.

(Someone correct me if that's not right, as I have looked it this in a while.)

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Press and hold the traction button next to the emergency flashers, this will disable the AdvanceTrak. This is what I do to bust donuts on snow up at Bogus.

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you were coasting, that would be stability control/advance track, if on the gas, it would be traction control. That's what I think is activating. On gas = traction control, not on the gas but getting side ways = advance track.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Scott R Nelson

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Go in Baja mode
The Base Sasquatch doesn't get Baja mode, unfortunately. :mad:

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm going to have to go out on some wide dirt roads with plenty of runoff room and experiment a bit with this stuff. :cool:

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The Base Sasquatch doesn't get Baja mode, unfortunately. :mad:

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm going to have to go out on some wide dirt roads with plenty of runoff room and experiment a bit with this stuff. :cool:
Sure it does... Get FORSCAN and fix it. It gets all the GOAT modes with FORSCAN. I did it on my OBX, 26k miles, no issues.

jasonkosi

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The GOAT modes will alter the traction control settings to allow more or less slippage in different terrain.

You can use the hero switch to turn off Traction Control. But this evidently doesn't completely disable it, but seriously reduces how frequently it kicks in.
You can press and hold the same hero switch to completely disable it, which I believe gives you an AdvanceTrac disabled notification.

(Someone correct me if that's not right, as I have looked it this in a while.)
You’re correct, you need to hold the button down for some time to completely disable it. Putting it in 4L automatically turns it off as well

wvabeer

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350, 2010 F150, 22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sure it does... Get FORSCAN and fix it. It gets all the GOAT modes with FORSCAN. I did it on my OBX, 26k miles, no issues.
Which module do you change GOAT modes. I'd like to have sport on my Badlands

Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Think of traction control as a drag race in a straight line. It limits wheel slip to maintain traction. Think of stability control as a cornering aid. If you lose traction in a corner it will apply braking at the appropriate wheel to straighten you out. Also known as yawl control.

Giddyup Buttercup

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
At team O'Neill rally fest, I took my 2 door manual to the cone course. My first run I just turned traction control off. For the second run I deactivated advancetrac. It made me slower.

Sponsored