Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Isn't covering the gap below the transmission pan an issue? Even if you don't hit the plastic pan, you could still end up catching edges against the plate behind the transmission. The Talons Garage one looks good because it's flat (the RCI I got has an angle and drops a little bit), so you lose whatever that clearance is. But you also have something to scrape against. I don't know, I'm conflicted.

I guess maybe the terrain makes a difference, lots of rolling boulders big enough to fit in there like in a rock garden might make me more concerned something could flip up and hit it. A plate in that case would seem to deflect the rock away or allow you to roll the rock as you go over it. Maybe then you'll just be replacing it more frequently if that's what you're doing (I'm thinking like Gruber and it's many angular rocks).

I'd rather not get stuck with a busted transmission pan, so I'll put it on. There only seem to be compromises, though.

For example, rolling over something like this, I feel like some of these boulders could flip/push up into that space:

Ford Bronco Trail Mater tows out Bronco with punctured transmission pan 1701434499732

But having a trans plate here might get in the way, since you may actually use that little spot of clearance, but then again you might catch the edge of the plate behind it:

Ford Bronco Trail Mater tows out Bronco with punctured transmission pan 1701434550208
Sponsored

Last edited:

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

it is wiser to run a plate than just upgrading the pan. Ford is soo dumb putting a plastic oil and trans pan on a 4x4 without standard protection. All to save some money, but put the consumer at more risk.

OP
OP
swooshdave

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

it is wiser to run a plate than just upgrading the pan. Ford is soo dumb putting a plastic oil and trans pan on a 4x4 without standard protection. All to save some money, but put the consumer at more risk.
No, the consumer is at risk for not properly equipping their vehicle for the conditions.

If you are going to be crawling over rocks that might hit the trans pan then get a model that has the protection, like a Badlands, or buy a plate.

It’s not stupid to not put skid plates on every Bronco.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No, the consumer is at risk for not properly equipping their vehicle for the conditions.

If you are going to be crawling over rocks that might hit the trans pan then get a model that has the protection, like a Badlands, or buy a plate.

It’s not stupid to not put skid plates on every Bronco.
Did your Badlands come with transmission protection? The protection mine has seems to be put the plastic up high where it won't get hit (e.g., no protection really). It's the only real gap I have in the skid plates.

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Finally watch the whole thing, definitely an easy trail repair. You could see the money signs in Rory eyes looking at that fully loaded bronco.
You mean charging them to drag it out instead of patching and driving it out? It looks like they got out somehow (probably another rig drove them out), since they obviously weren't around.

I thought it interesting they had extra lights and rack but hoop steps and seemingly little added protection. I would expect better of whoever setup that (corporate) rig, but I assume they simply got out farther than they should have.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Tossing our hat in the ring on the aluminum transmission pan side of protection. Our pan increases capacity by 2 quarts over stock for more cooling capacity, has internal baffles to reduce sloshing, has bolt retainers for easy install, and a magnetic drain plug making it way easier to service your transmission fluid.

Ford Bronco Trail Mater tows out Bronco with punctured transmission pan 1701434550208

If you are searching by part number, use MMTP-RGR-19. Heads up it also fits Ford Rangers, Mustangs, and F-150s with the 10R60 and 10R80 transmissions, so if you have another Ford in your garage, you could grab more than one :cool: Let me know if you have any questions!

- John
this is Fantastic! and what sold me is the fact it fits the 10r80 as well, this way when I upgrade engine/trans next year, I can us e the fancy pan on the HD tranny.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You mean charging them to drag it out instead of patching and driving it out? It looks like they got out somehow (probably another rig drove them out), since they obviously weren't around.

I thought it interesting they had extra lights and rack but hoop steps and seemingly little added protection. I would expect better of whoever setup that (corporate) rig, but I assume they simply got out farther than they should have.
Pan is $120 and 5 minutes with an impact especially if you don't have to pull a skid plate! Why even patch it?

At this point I guess who ever drove shouldn't drive off the pavement anyways if they just left it..

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pan is $120 and 5 minutes with an impact especially if you don't have to pull a skid plate! Why even patch it?

At this point I guess who ever drove shouldn't drive off the pavement anyways if they just left it..
Ahh of course. As long as you can get the part in a reasonable amount of time. I wonder if this gets put on the company card and written off. Nice when you got that lean on.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Gotta make them sales baby! lol I assume they get lots of business those parts. Wonder if they deliver with a little pickup?
They tried to upsell the install, definitely a pay to play kind of feel. I didn't feel like blowing an extra couple of grand for express service but was nice to know it was available.

Very different from around here, you break, you wait.

Rwhite692

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Blazer, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The plastic pan is definitely a weak point.....
The transmission pan is vulnerable, regardless of whether it was made of cast aluminum, pressed steel, or plastic...All could be expected to fail, with a direct hit.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They tried to upsell the install, definitely a pay to play kind of feel. I didn't feel like blowing an extra couple of grand for express service but was nice to know it was available.

Very different from around here, you break, you wait.
Well that is the thing about Moab, parts are usually available but at a premium.
Like all things, it relates to time ⏳ & 💰. You don't have the time it takes more 💰💰💰. You don't have the 💰 it takes more time ⏳⏲ 🤠

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lod trans skid has been worth its weight in gold
You may want to check your LOD skid. Mine broke at every place they welded after a few months of hard use. After rewelding and reinforcing , it’s has held up ok.
Sponsored