First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 Panamera
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My wife and I had the opportunity to do some really fun trails while in Colorado to see the Bronco. I thought that some of you may find video clips of the trails interesting to help you decide what model/options you want or need. If you are interested in going off road then some of the options may be important to you.

As background - my Wrangler is a 2015 Sahara. Basically the 2015 equivalent of an Outer Banks without Sasquatch. It has 3:21 gears (don’t try to compare numbers directly to the Bronco, but still the worst for off road). It has a 3” lift and 35” Nitto Trail Grappler M/T tires. It doesn’t have an automatic sway bar disconnect. It has no lockers ie open differentials.

As far as tires go it’s my opinion that larger are better up to a point on trails. With that said, you can still do most things with 31s or 33s that you can with 35s. Here are my reasons to get the bigger tires:
  1. They look better! The first time you park next to a Bronco with 35s you are going to be wishing you had them.
  2. They can climb over more stuff.
  3. Aired down big tires give a smoother ride on rough roads and trails.
Here are the vid clips and comments on what I think they mean for options. We hit eight or nine main trails on the trip. We were able to do all of them in my Wrangler as equipped. I will be able to do all of them in the Bronco even more easily since I plan on getting a squached Badlands. They are:

Black Bear Pass
Imogene Pass
Engineer’s Pass
Cinnamon Pass
Poughkeepsie Gulch
Mineral Creek
Warden Gulch
Ruby Gulch
Leadville Trails

Let’s look at the hardest one that will require the most off-road capability, Poughkeepsie Gulch.

This first clip is me eventually climbing over a relatively small rock obstacle.

From this you can see that it would help to have trail cams or a good spotter. On the first attempt I was too far to the right but couldn’t tell. It almost caused me to flip on my side when the front right tire spun. Trail cams would have helped me pick a better line. It also shows the importance of rock rails. We banged on them several times. Lockers may have helped with the wheel spin and therefore the slipping, but basically I chose a line too far to the passenger side. Lockers were not required on a good line.

These clips are of the hardest obstacle on Poughkeepsie. It is called The Wall. It looks far more challenging in real life than in the vids. There is a warning sign on the way there that says you should have lockers. The drivers of the three vehicles that were there when we arrived said that we would most likely end up needing to winch up.

Ford Bronco Trail videos to help decide which 2021 Bronco trim and options you need/want IMG_0595.JPG

The first clip is going up the first time. We had to do it twice! After I got up we thought that the camera had not worked. So I went back down and did it again! Turns out the camera had worked the first time. D’Oh!

As you can see, you can do a lot without lockers with a good line and proper use of the gas pedal. Lockers would have made it easier. If the rocks were wet I would have needed lockers. High clearance fender flares come into play here as well.

As you can see on the way down you will want the steel bumper if you are going to try things like this.

This clip is just going over some rocks. Mostly shows that big tires are nice to have.

This one is not really a clip. It’s over 5 minutes of unedited footage of Poughkeepsie. Mostly I hope it will inspire those that have not done this sort of thing before to make plans to do so.

And finally, the reward. A mountain lake called Lake Como.

Ford Bronco Trail videos to help decide which 2021 Bronco trim and options you need/want 119217996_10223192171942118_6487688852333189416_n

Here are some short clips of Black Bear Pass. This is not a technical trail. You can do it in a stock Bronco easily.

These are posted to show how cool the trail turn assist would be! I want to go back and use the turn assist on the switchbacks. And another beautiful lunch spot just for inspiration.

Ford Bronco Trail videos to help decide which 2021 Bronco trim and options you need/want 119147359_10222921492495495_8121748367163608279_n

Finally, here is an edited video of Warden Gulch. Any stock Bronco can make it here. If the Squatch is not in your set budget, no worries. You can still get most places. In this case we were completely alone for miles. I like the security of a winch when alone, but you can get to places like this easily with the capabilities of an unmodified base model.

My personal recommendation if you think there is any chance at all that you may get to go on some medium/hard trails is to have lockers, a winch, 35s, and sway bar disconnect. The sway bar disconnect hasn’t been as important in my experience so far. It may be on future trails. I would also like to have a bit more lift. The lower gears of the Squatch package would be nice as well. So basically, get the Sasquatch if you think there is any chance of getting on some decent trails. I have wished that I bought the Rubicon instead of my Sahara many times. I won’t make that mistake again. But if it’s not in your set budget, no worries. The base model is going to get you to most places.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That is exactly what I needed to see! That would probably be the "hardest" 'wheeling that I'd be doing.

My question's are: 1) What is your current Bronco build idea and 2) based on your set-up do you feel that the 2.3 Auto Sasquatch 4DR would have enough power/gearing to accomplish the trip you took?

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Awesome video's thanks for sharing. I can not wait to get to CO and hit some of these trails next year.

Mac n Nevada

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser/2019 Jeep GC Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Would like to see how that "turn assist" could help in that one sharp turn where you did the three point....

Sponsored

PKE956

Wildtrak
First Name
PK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My wife and I had the opportunity to do some really fun trails while in Colorado to see the Bronco. I thought that some of you may find video clips of the trails interesting to help you decide what model/options you want or need. If you are interested in going off road then some of the options may be important to you....
Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to your Bronco videos! (BTW... I also have a Sahara Unlimited - 2010)

Question: Did you have your sway bar disconnected on these trails?

Garbone

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 C10, 21 Mustang, 12 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Wow, love it.

Chrism81

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My wife and I had the opportunity to do some really fun trails while in Colorado to see the Bronco. I thought that some of you may find video clips of the trails interesting to help you decide what model/options you want or need. If you are interested in going off road then some of the options may be important to you.

As background - my Wrangler is a 2015 Sahara. Basically the 2015 equivalent of an OB without Sasquatch. It has 3:21 gears (don’t try to compare numbers directly to the Bronco, but still the worst for off road). It has a 3” lift and 35” Nitto Trail Grappler M/T tires. It doesn’t have an automatic sway bar disconnect. It has no lockers ie open differentials.

As far as tires go it’s my opinion that larger are better up to a point on trails. With that said, you can still do most things with 31s or 33s that you can with 35s. Here are my reasons to get the bigger tires:
  1. They look better! The first time you park next to a Bronco with 35s you are going to be wishing you had them.
  2. They can climb over more stuff.
  3. Aired down big tires give a smoother ride on rough roads and trails.
Here are the vid clips and comments on what I think they mean for options. We hit eight or nine main trails on the trip. We were able to do all of them in my Wrangler as equipped. I will be able to do all of them in the Bronco even more easily since I plan on getting a squached Badlands. They are:

Black Bear Pass
Imogene Pass
Engineer’s Pass
Cinnamon Pass
Poughkeepsie Gulch
Mineral Creek
Warden Gulch
Ruby Gulch
Leadville Trails

Let’s look at the hardest one that will require the most off-road capability, Poughkeepsie Gulch.

This first clip is me eventually climbing over a relatively small rock obstacle.

From this you can see that it would help to have trail cams or a good spotter. On the first attempt I was too far to the right but couldn’t tell. It almost caused me to flip on my side when the front right tire spun. Trail cams would have helped me pick a better line. It also shows the importance of rock rails. We banged on them several times. Lockers may have helped with the wheel spin and therefore the slipping, but basically I chose a line too far to the passenger side. Lockers were not required on a good line.

These clips are of the hardest obstacle on Poughkeepsie. It is called The Wall. It looks far more challenging in real life than in the vids. There is a warning sign on the way there that says you should have lockers. The drivers of the three vehicles that were there when we arrived said that we would most likely end up needing to winch up.

Ford Bronco Trail videos to help decide which 2021 Bronco trim and options you need/want 119147359_10222921492495495_8121748367163608279_n

The first clip is going up the first time. We had to do it twice! After I got up we thought that the camera had not worked. So I went back down and did it again! Turns out the camera had worked the first time. D’Oh!

As you can see, you can do a lot without lockers with a good line and proper use of the gas pedal. Lockers would have made it easier. If the rocks were wet I would have needed lockers. High clearance fender flares come into play here as well.

As you can see on the way down you will want the steel bumper if you are going to try things like this.

This clip is just going over some rocks. Mostly shows that big tires are nice to have.

This one is not really a clip. It’s over 5 minutes of unedited footage of Poughkeepsie. Mostly I hope it will inspire those that have not done this sort of thing before to make plans to do so.

And finally, the reward. A mountain lake called Lake Como.

Here are some short clips of Black Bear Pass. This is not a technical trail. You can do it in a stock Bronco easily.

These are posted to show how cool the trail turn assist would be! I want to go back and use the turn assist on the switchbacks. And another beautiful lunch spot just for inspiration.

Finally, here is an edited video of Warden Gulch. Any stock Bronco can make it here. If the Squatch is not in your set budget, no worries. You can still get most places. In this case we were completely alone for miles. I like the security of a winch when alone, but you can get to places like this easily with the capabilities of an unmodified base model.

My personal recommendation if you think there is any chance at all that you may get to go on some medium/hard trails is to have lockers, a winch, 35s, and sway bar disconnect. The sway bar disconnect hasn’t been as important in my experience so far. It may be on future trails. I would also like to have a bit more lift. The lower gears of the Squatch package would be nice as well. So basically, get the Sasquatch if you think there is any chance of getting on some decent trails. I have wished that I bought the Rubicon instead of my Sahara many times. I won’t make that mistake again. But if it’s not in your set budget, no worries. The base model is going to get you to most places.
Awesome vids. Thanks for the post. Finally something different to see on this site.

Jmh745

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘16 F-150, ‘20 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Awesome! Thanks for the inspiration.

Sponsored
OP
OP
High Proof

High Proof

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 Panamera
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That is exactly what I needed to see! That would probably be the "hardest" 'wheeling that I'd be doing.

My question's are: 1) What is your current Bronco build idea and 2) based on your set-up do you feel that the 2.3 Auto Sasquatch 4DR would have enough power/gearing to accomplish the trip you took?
1. Sasquatch Badlands with the luxury package. [edit] 2.7 auto [/edit]
2. Yes. There are more experienced off roaders on here than me, but in my opinion absolutely. That is better torque, hp, gearing, and speeds than my Wrangler.

Last edited:
OP
OP
High Proof

High Proof

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 Panamera
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Awesome video's thanks for sharing. I can not wait to get to CO and hit some of these trails next year.
It was a great time! Message me then if you have any questions that I can help with on the trails.

OP
OP
High Proof

High Proof

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 Panamera
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to your Bronco videos! (BTW... I also have a Sahara Unlimited - 2010)

Question: Did you have your sway bar disconnected on these trails?
No. I would have tried it if I had automatic disconnect.

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve been pretty set on getting the Sasquatch, but as time goes on practicality is setting in. I was fine with having to deal having 2 inches of clearance on either side getting into my garage, but I really want a roof rack. As it stands, it appears I’ll have to take the crossbars off to get it in even without Sasquatch.
Sponsored