indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you are going to get automatic, get the 2.7- especially with the heavier 4 door. If you go 2 door, and get smaller tires the base would be super fun to drive. If you get larger tires like Sas you could still get the manual although the 2.7 is pretty quick and fun to drive and fuel efficient for what it is. I have 2 door Sas Base with 2.7, love it and get pretty good MPG almost 23.
Good point. There is something like an 800lbs difference between the lowest weight 2-door and heaviest 4-door Bronco. Especially if the owner is the type of person who loads the vehicle with extras and brings the kitchen sink on trips, the V6 is probably the ticket.

My 2-door manual trans with 2.3L engine is agile and fun to drive, but maybe if loaded down with an extra 1000lbs of stuff, it would not feel so sprite.
Sponsored

fuitilium

Everglades
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Everglades 2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
I just traded my Lightning in on an Everglades edition with the 2.3. So far so good. Torque and performance are adequate but it is noisy (part of that is the snorkel).

Jkoren12345

Outer Banks
First Name
Jkor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 dr 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Good Afternoon
I want a 2022+ Badlands with all the goodies—leather seats, a big screen, etc. I am stuck between Turbo 4 and TTV6.
I want my engine to be reliable and decent on gas (yes I know it's a brick moving through the air) I live in NYC where stop-and-go traffic is king but I do plan on offroading. Im coming out of a Camaro 2SS V8 so I do want something that will be quick.

Should I do the Turbo 4 and get Ford's Pro Cal or TTV6? Whatever I get will have a warranty from Ford.
Unless you want the stick, go with the 2.7...you won't be disappointed.

wjtinfwb

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GC, Excursion, Focus ST, Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Good Afternoon
I want a 2022+ Badlands with all the goodies—leather seats, a big screen, etc. I am stuck between Turbo 4 and TTV6.
I want my engine to be reliable and decent on gas (yes I know it's a brick moving through the air) I live in NYC where stop-and-go traffic is king but I do plan on offroading. Im coming out of a Camaro 2SS V8 so I do want something that will be quick.

Should I do the Turbo 4 and get Ford's Pro Cal or TTV6? Whatever I get will have a warranty from Ford.
I wrestled with the 4 cylinder/manual vs. V6/10-speed Auto and ultimately went with the V6. The EcoBoost 2.7 is a great engine, mine is averaging 19 mpg in mostly suburban driving but get it into the boost and the swell of torque is fantastic. Off-road there's likely little difference, but on the highway the V6 passes slower traffic on a two lane with ease with from what I've read only a 1-3 mpg penalty depending on driving habits. The 2.7 is well tested and proves in a million F-150s, I expect it to give me great service. Either is a great choice, I'm happy I went with the 2.7 however.

JEMSA

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70 Bronco, 82 F350, 91 MX5, 93 MX5, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I found the 4 with MT to be more lively than the 6 (with AT). Having lived a lifetime with working vehicles equipped with manuals including my 70 Bronco with original 3 spd, I feel a bit numb in an Auto - I’ve kind of embarrassed myself at the Moab off Roadeo event in their auto, got scolded for spinning tires too much because I couldn’t feel it. So for me 4 cylinder was way to go.

Sponsored
OP
OP

tdbk93

Badlands
First Name
t
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro V8 Convertible 2SS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
V6… 2 door… not many here in nyc!
What MPG are you getting in stop and go traffic with the V6? Just curious

bmtul

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak; Abarth 124
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What MPG are you getting in stop and go traffic with the V6? Just curious
V6 gets me 12 driving back and forth daily from Manhattan / queens, all traffic, no highways. same drive in sport mode gets about 8

I can get 17 on the highway if I keep it under 80

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good Afternoon

IMO the MPG diff between these two isn't significant enough to use as a decision point. The only real difference between the two, for me, was that the 2.7 locks you to an auto trans while the 2.3 unlocks the manual option. As I wanted a manual that made the decision path easy. No regrets at this point (March build, took ownership end of April '23). *IF* the 2.7 had been available with the manual I'm sure I'd have optioned it but at that time I hadn't ever driven either motor; I find the 2.3 quite surprising for a little 4 banger and it works just fine for my inner city driving.

OP
OP

tdbk93

Badlands
First Name
t
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro V8 Convertible 2SS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
V6 gets me 12 driving back and forth daily from Manhattan / queens, all traffic, no highways. same drive in sport mode gets about 8

I can get 17 on the highway if I keep it under 80
Okay so slightly better than my camaro at least in the city. Great

bravely

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
3490 s leonard rd, new palestine in 46163
Vehicle(s)
1973 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good Afternoon

Read up on direct injection vs port injection - 2.7 has both

Sponsored

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I didn't read all of the responses on this, but I expect that everyone with a V6 would say you should get a V6 and everyone with a 4 would say that it's good enough.

I have the 4-cylinder in my 2-door Base Sasquatch and I will say that if I were to buy another Bronco I would not pay the $1800 extra for the V-6. The 4-cylinder has plenty of power and I have never once wished that I had the bigger engine.

huey

Badlands
First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI VW EOS GMC Envoy Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would suggest to drive both 2.3 & 2.7, that way you know before you plop down your $$$$
No matter what you pick, it will not be as responsive as your previous car

I went with the 2.3 because I wanted the manual. If there was an option to have a manual with a bigger motor I would have gone that route, having said that the 2.3 with perf tune never leaves me thinking the truck is underpowered. I am very happy with my choice!

Carl Sagan

Wildtrak
First Name
Brando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco WIldtrak HOSS 3.0
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The 2.7L is the better engine. Someone else mentioned this on here, but the Port/Direct injection of the 2.7L over the direct injection only of the 2.3L is one of the major things I considered. You will have a lot more carbon build up on the 2.3L. The 2.7L also has to work a lot less than the 2.3L to get the bronco going. Just my opinion. There are more benefits to the 2.7L over the 2.3L but just go with what you want. :)

voxel

Heritage
First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Highway driving... couldn't tell you the difference between the 2Dr Big Bend 2.3L with non-Sas vs. 4Dr Heritage 2.7L with Sas.

Local city roads? V6 all the way. I despised driving the 2.3L in stop and go traffic. I will happily drive the 2.7L into dense traffic if need be.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have a 2.3 7MT. I got to drive a v6 Auto at Off Roadeo.

I didn't really notice anything with the engine at all. I definitely noticed the difference between my 4.46 and the Badlands 4.7 gear ratios, and the difference between the Auto shift points on stock tuning and my setup on ProCal and how I typically shift the manual. But almost none of that difference came back to the difference in engines.

Off Road, you are in low gear the entire time, and most of the time the turbo won't even spool up - at least on the 7MT the wastegate is kept open in Crawler and 1st gear to help prevent wheel slip. I don't recall anything that dissimilar on the Auto but couldn't swear to it - I only was in it for a day.

On the highway, I didn't have enough time to really judge, but none of the Broncos lack for passing power if you want to push the pedal down. I could really see city stop-and-go favoring the v6 Auto though - stop and go sucks all the way around, but doubly so with a manual of any flavor. Although the i4 has no problem getting up and going, you just rev a bit higher to get the same acceleration.
Sponsored