t
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro V8 Convertible 2SS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good Afternoon
I want a 2022+ Badlands with all the goodies—leather seats, a big screen, etc. I am stuck between Turbo 4 and TTV6.
I want my engine to be reliable and decent on gas (yes I know it's a brick moving through the air) I live in NYC where stop-and-go traffic is king but I do plan on offroading. Im coming out of a Camaro 2SS V8 so I do want something that will be quick.

Should I do the Turbo 4 and get Ford's Pro Cal or TTV6? Whatever I get will have a warranty from Ford.
Sponsored

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 2.3 will be marginally better on gas but the 2.7s extra torque is very noticeable . I had the 2.3 in my Ranger but did not care for it. I love the 2.7 . The 2.7s under hood noises are quieter also . The 2.3s injectors sound like a diesel going through a drive thru ,lol . They are both great engines though .

nolimits

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Explorer ST | 23 Challenger SP 1320
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I came from a Challenger Hemi 6.4 392 with 500hp and the 1320 drag package. The 2.7 isn’t nearly as powerful but it’s a decent power plant with way more capability in other regards.

I don’t think I would have been happy with the 2.3. FYI, gearing and tire size/weight will play into the response you feel. I did non-SAS Badlands with 33” tires and 4.46 gears. Seemed more responsive than the SAS with 35’s and 4.70’s.

YMMV 😎

Tdub0527

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, 2019 BMW X3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The new 2024 Badlands only have the V6 engine unless you get the manual.

I previously owned a 2.3 big bend and just bought a used Badlands Sasquatch with the 2.3. I REALLY grappled with the decision because I wanted the 2.7 6 cylinder. After driving it I personally didn’t feel like it lacked any power. Hell if you told me it was the 6 I would’ve believed you (I’m sure I’ll get roasted for that comment).

If your decision is purely on gas mileage it probably is so marginal it won’t make a difference. I bought mine because it was what was available with it being used. Bonus is you’ll save some cash and it’s lighter.

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2.7s have been more problematic so far and will continue to be in the future (cam phasers), but still are generally fine. Drive both and see if the power difference matters enough.

The 2.3 loses it's MPG edge the bigger the tires get and the faster you drive til eventually the 2.7 does better.

Sponsored

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The difference in MPG is going to be neglibile compared to tire size, lift, and gearing - yeah, the two engines have a small difference in EPA rating, but it isn't huge. The savings the i4 gets over the v6 is largely eaten up by the fact that i4 has to push more RPMs and the weight savings is pretty small (compared to the overall weight of the Bronco)

Both are very capable engines though. I just wouldn't go into the i4 thinking you are going to save a lot of gas. The i4 makes plenty of power, it just likes to rev more to get there.

The i4 with Pro Cal roughly matches what the V6 does stock - which is fairly shocking when you think about it. But then you throw Pro Cal on the V6, and it pulls way ahead in torque again.

I have the i4 (it's the only option for a 7MT) - it has plenty of pep when you mash on it. But it does sound kind of like a tinker toy engine. If I had the option for a v6 with 7MT it would have been nice, but I don't feel like I'm missing out on a lot either. But then again, I don't have to worry about cam phasers either (just transmission rattle).

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Good Afternoon
I want a 2022+ Badlands with all the goodies—leather seats, a big screen, etc. I am stuck between Turbo 4 and TTV6.
I want my engine to be reliable and decent on gas (yes I know it's a brick moving through the air) I live in NYC where stop-and-go traffic is king but I do plan on offroading. Im coming out of a Camaro 2SS V8 so I do want something that will be quick.

Should I do the Turbo 4 and get Ford's Pro Cal or TTV6? Whatever I get will have a warranty from Ford.
Seeing as you liked the Camaro V8 power, I'd go with the V6. I went I4 because I'm not a pedal masher, and I wanted the manual transmission, which I enjoy operating.

I probably would have gone V6 and auto trans, if I still lived at higher altitude in Colorado and was off-roading every other weekend. But overall the 2.3L with manual is a lot of fun, it's not fast from a standing start, but it has enough pep when needed.

If I wanted max performance racing from stop light to stop light, which is pretty much all there is in my area, I'd go V6 with automatic.

OP
OP

tdbk93

Badlands
First Name
t
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro V8 Convertible 2SS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 2.3 will be marginally better on gas but the 2.7s extra torque is very noticeable . I had the 2.3 in my Ranger but did not care for it. I love the 2.7 . The 2.7s under hood noises are quieter also . The 2.3s injectors sound like a diesel going through a drive thru ,lol . They are both great engines though .
What about reliability? Which one is the better engine?

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Again , one may be marginally more reliable than the other. If you visit different vehicle forums that share the same engines you will find about the same amout of issues. The 2.7 has done extremely well in the F-150s. I personally would not want a 2.3 in a F150 ,lol.

Dorf2point0

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer, 2005 Explorer, 2013 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Good Afternoon

Hi,
I have a 2021 2.3L BB and a 2023 2.7 Badlands.. I chipped the 2.3L and it got a lot more get up and go but that takes premium gas.. I got 22 MPG driving back and forth to work.. I simply hate how the transmission constantly lugging the engine.. She has the 3.73.
The Badlands with 2.7L is just plain BAD.. Significantly more power and no chip required.. Can’t tell what MPG Badlands is getting since we bought in the December.. If you don’t mind putting premium gas in, FORD Procal should increase the MPG in the 2.7 if you keep your foot out of it.. I say 2.7L all the way..

Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

You're coming from a muscle car and wanting a 4 door with a stop and go commute, I'd get the 2.7. I have a 2 door manual with 2.3 and I'm very happy with it but I have a 20 minute commute with only 2 lights.

Towerism

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Bronco Badlands 4D 7-speed
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you go Sasquatch I think you’d be happy with the acceleration of the 2.3 due to the higher 4.7 final drive ratio. I’m coming from a manual 5.0 mustang, and I find the acceleration from my manual sasquatched Bronco more than adequate. I can see those opting for the automatic not enjoying it though.

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
2.5 years with my 2.7 v6 and it still puts a smile on my face daily. I will be purchasing an extended warranty though before my warranty runs out..just in case!

Last edited:

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the 2.3 because I wanted the 7MT, and I can tell you that running 93 and using a Sprint Booster has been a ton of fun. Specifically the Sprint Booster was a game changer, as it removed the pedal lag that Ford (any manufacturer with drive-by-wire, really) programs in to pad out the numbers.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have 90k on my 2021 2.7 with no issues. So assuming Ford doesn't get another batch of bad valves, I don't have any problem recommending the 2.7, it's a blast.

Yes, that's correct 90,000 miles and it hasn't even needed spark plugs yet (which shocked me).
Sponsored