Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My wild guess on a wholesale level it currently cost Ford 42-45k from its original 40-41k to make a Braptor with license fees to the better known suppliers. Given it first started at 70k minus 5-6k dealer profit margin with holdback a basic Braptor would have sold to dealer at 64-65k which would have left ford at the time 24-25k profit just for a basic version with little to no options. Definitely, cost money to add in beefier parts but there’s also cost taken out for regular parts not going in. A 3.0L isn’t X cost plus all cost of a 2.7 or 2.3. It’s 3.0L cost minus a 2.7 or 2.3 not going in.

Would be cool if some YouTube expert would do a tare-down of actual cost to produce it.
Sponsored

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
My wild guess on a wholesale level it currently cost Ford 42-45k from its original 40-41k to make a Braptor with license fees to the better known suppliers. Given it first started at 70k minus 5-6k dealer profit margin with holdback a basic Braptor would have sold to dealer at 64-65k which would have left ford at the time 24-25k profit just for a basic version with little to no options.
Would be cool if some YouTube expert would do a tare-down of actual cost to produce it.
Given how low most automobile companies profit margins are, even on a high margin vehicle like the Raptor, I'd virtually guarantee they do not get a 25/45 = 56% profit margin.

Also, costs are kept highly confidential so no youtuber could do this.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I never said there was no increase in price.
Awfully close...

Those things you listed, most of which do not drive the cost to manufacture up at all
And just for an olive branch, in my humble opinion the truck is not worth its current base price. Discounts are already. happening. Personally, I got lucky and missed all of the 2023 increases except the first annual one.

Hdscreens

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There’s no way a Braptor will cost 65-70k or more to manufacture. I agree majority of vehicles don’t have high profit margins and are tighter on that profit margin. Example being Ford Maverick hybrid when it first came out was 20k starting price. Definitely, not much breathing room there. Some vehicles have far outpaced others on starting msrp though over the years.

Given how low most automobile companies profit margins are, even on a high margin vehicle like the Raptor, I'd virtually guarantee they do not get a 25/45 = 56% profit margin.

Also, costs are kept highly confidential so no youtuber could do this.
IMG_3029.jpeg

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`22 Wildtrak, '21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Awfully close...

And just for an olive branch, in my humble opinion the truck is not worth its current base price. Discounts are already. happening. Personally, I got lucky and missed all of the 2023 increases except the first annual one.
Yeah, it’s a bronco wide thing. I said earlier I think my Wildtrak isn’t worth nearly what they MSRP for now.

Raptor just being top of the line is the most out of whack.

Sponsored

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I cannot wait to read the Ranger Raptor forum…
The truck is almost for sure going to be faster than the Bronco Raptor (drag race) as it will have a better power to weight ratio. So there is that just for starters. And, like clockwork, the forum will be inundated with, "I can build a better truck for cheaper via aftermarket" posts.

JohnGalt

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Defender 110
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Interesting thread. Looking at what it cost Ford to build the Raptor is one way to look at what its price should be, but…..

From Ford’s perspective they're looking at what 3000-5000 annual Braptor buyers are willing to pay to acquire arguably the best all around off-road performance vehicle on the market. That is…. what’s their buyers next best alternative?

For some it’s buy a lower tier Bronco with high/lux package then add a crap load of after market stuff, and end up with a nicely modded vehicle that has loads of compromises and doesn’t have the same off-road AND on-road performance and manners. The cost of that base truck, the aftermarket parts and the labor to install it (DIY folks your time has value too) will almost certainly get you close to Raptor money (certainly for my 2022 MSRP).

For others it’s an APG build. You think the Braptor is expensive!

But for those 3000-5000 buyers per year, buying a Braptor from Ford at these prices is their best value alternative.

Ford wanted to sell the Braptor to us for around $70k, but at 3000 units a year they had more buyers than vehicles at that price. So….dealers got ADMs. Fords response was logical, they increased the price to claw back the ADM margin from the dealers and better match supply to demand. Folks were unhappy about ADMs, well Ford solved that for us. Maybe they’ll discount to $85k if they need to move the last few units, think how happy we will be buying under MSRP!

At current prices we’re now seeing supply (3000 to 5000 units/yr) and demand (the number of folks willing and able to plunk down $90+k for an awesome turnkey off road vehicle with bumper to bumper warranty) balancing.

And always a good read when contemplating building a Raptor from a Bronco with a crap load of aftermarket parts. Although this just covers the suspension.

https://www.theautopian.com/how-for...usly-hardcore-purpose-built-off-road-monster/

Last edited:

NickOhio

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco OB SAS V6
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I bought my OBX SAS in September at MSRP, was nearly 70k optioned out. MSRP for a Raptor is worth it to me. On that day I put my name on the allocation list for a Raptor, at that point they said it would be MSRP+10k. I said OK, knowing I wouldn't pay over. They called a few weeks ago and said that I was ready to order and could have it at MSRP. I told them to keep me on the list and I want to be the first Raptor R they sell at MSRP. Since that call my CyberTruck order bank opened and should be here this month, so hoping the R is a year out or the wife might kill me or move out.
Sponsored