First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was surprised there hasn’t been a thread discussing this yet.

Rounding 30k and figured I’d change it every 30 until 100k.

MOTOCRAFT MERCON LV XT-10-5Q3LV. Thoughts/alternatives?

Transfer Case Plug: 26 lb.ft (35 Nm) for Part-Time & 18 lb.ft for the 4A.

Transfer Case Plug Seal/Crush Washer (Part-Time ONLY): AB3Z-7482-A or CHEAP ALTERNATIVE

Anyone use a high-temp thread (Permatex 59235) sealer on the plugs or not necessary? The manual suggests discarding the plugs on the differentials each time because of the thread sealant used at factory. Why don’t they use the same practices for the transfer case? Assuming it’s because of the disposable seal that presumably holds the plug in place once torqued?

Ford Bronco Transfer Case Fluid Change IMG_5108
Sponsored

Last edited:

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I typically change the fluids in the axles and transfer case early to remove the wear metals since none of these systems have filtered oil supplies and will be doing mine soon too.

Motorcraft Mercon LV is not synthetic (it may be semi-synthetic or a blend), but given there is no combustion by-products, and the operating temperature is nominal, it probably does not have to be.

It also may not matter, but many fluids are not licensed by Ford as a Mercon LV replacement, such as:

- AMSOIL Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATL) - the word "Approved" or "Licensed" does not appear anywhere

- Red Line D6 - it is listed as "suitable replacement"

- Valvoline Dexron VI/Mercon LV - it is approved for Dexron VI, but recommended for Mercon LV

There are a few (aside from Motorcraft) that are officially licensed by Ford:

- Castrol Transmax® Dexron® VI Mercon® LV

- Coastal LubriGold Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle DEXRON®-VI / MERCON® LV Automatic Transmission Fluid (made by Warren oil)

- Kendall VersaTrans® LV ATF (Kendall/Phillips 66 likely makes Motorcraft fluid)

- Mag 1® Low Viscosity Multi-Vehicle Transmission Fluid (made by Warren oil)

- Ravenol Mercon LV Fluid

- Super Tech DEXRON VI/MERCON LV Full Synthetic Automatic Transmission (made by Warren Oil)

If I were to use any of the above (aside from Motorcraft), I would use Ravenol. It is officially licensed by Ford and is a full synthetic made in Germany where there is a strict definition of what can and cannot be labeled as a "synthetic". In the US Group II+ base oils can be labeled as synthetic and are not true synthetics nor have the accompanying properties.

Just my thoughts...

OP
OP
redone17

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks @CarbonSteel - this is the exact information I was looking to learn on this subject.

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I change mine at the first 1k then do 20-40k intervals depending on time and if I did any towing or lots of wheeling.

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks @CarbonSteel - this is the exact information I was looking to learn on this subject.
Blauparts used to sell Ravenol in 4L containers--I reached out to see if they still do. I added 4 QTs to my cart and the shipping was still $14.75 so that is a bonus.

https://www.blauparts.com/ravenol-atf-automatic-transmission-fluid-f-lv-1l.html

It would be so much better if Ford would set a specification as Chrysler did on ATF+4--no matter who makes it to meet the spec of ATF+4 it has to be a full synthetic.

I'll probably do a dump and fill with Motorcraft the first time at 2K or so miles and then at 10K switch to Ravenol.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did a swap with OEM Mercon. No complaints.

The Plugs are traditional NPT's. Self sealing pipe threads with goop incase of a fucked up install (I guess). I have always reused plugs without adding sealant and have never had an issue, YMMV

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

The Plugs are traditional NPT's. Self sealing pipe threads with goop incase of a fucked up install (I guess). I have always reused plugs without adding sealant and have never had an issue, YMMV
Does the drain plug have a magnet in it? My 2010 F-150 did...just curious.

OP
OP
redone17

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
In hindsight I wish I had done a drain & fill after break-in - but, I’ll be on top of it from now on. First 4x4 for me.

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
OP
OP
redone17

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Last edited:

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’m more interested in upgrading the fluid. In my previous life (BF - before Ford) - I drove and wrenched on VW for years - so, liking the sound of Ravenol.
I ran Ravenol (ATF+4) in my 2019 Jeep Wrangler's transfer case and it worked well. Given that Ravenol is licensed by Ford, it is hard to go wrong. Blauparts answered me and they only sell it by the quart, but the shipping seems to be fixed pricing so that helps.

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Timely thread for me. Just got back from my dealers parts dept. I mentioned the service manual says "Note: Make sure a new seal is used." He had no part number for it though. Manual does show seals. Anyone have a part #?

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
PS... @redone17 - unless I see something really different, I plan to just wire brush my plugs and use either:

High density Teflon tape (pick your color):
- https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hercule...d-Sealing-PTFE-Plumber-s-Tape-15110/300791226
- https://www.homedepot.com/p/Blue-Monster-3-4-in-x-1429-in-PTFE-Thread-Seal-Tape-70886/314130476
- https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-1...-Sealing-PTFE-Plumber-s-Tape-31403D/202078116

OR

Teflon thread sealant - https://www.permatex.com/products/t...lants/permatex-thread-sealant-with-ptfe-4-oz/

From the outside of the transfer case, they appear to be standard square head NPT pipe plugs (though a magnet on the drain plug would be nice).

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Timely thread for me. Just got back from my dealers parts dept. I mentioned the service manual says "Note: Make sure a new seal is used." He had no part number for it though. Manual does show seals. Anyone have a part #?
Checking with my Ford guy to see if he can find one. I will post the response here.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Motorcraft Thread Sealant with PTFE: TA-24-B is what Ford calls for on the plugs.

Ford Bronco Transfer Case Fluid Change IMG_2173

Really any type of thread sealant would be perfectly fine. I’ve never had any issues or leaks just putting the plug back in without adding anything.
Sponsored