Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm looking at all the information on transmission fluid changes and it seems very involved and not as easy as the differentials or transfer case fluid changes. How many of you are actually draining the trans fluid and filling at the break in point and how many of you are waiting until the recommended mileage in the service manual, 30k 150k?
If doing it early, are you taking it somewhere or doing it yourself?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Where are you seeing a 30K transmission fluid change interval? My manual shows 150K for that service (pg 464), that may be a bit extreme but curious why 30K?

OP
OP
Crashingken

Crashingken

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Where are you seeing a 30K transmission fluid change interval? My manual shows 150K for that service (pg 464), that may be a bit extreme but curious why 30K?
Oh you know what, I think I was getting 30k mixed up with the transfer case change.

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm not suggesting 150K is a good idea..........

Ford Bronco Transmission fluid change questions Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 11.45.36 AM

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm looking at all the information on transmission fluid changes and it seems very involved and not as easy as the differentials or transfer case fluid changes. How many of you are actually draining the trans fluid and filling at the break in point and how many of you are waiting until the recommended mileage in the service manual, 30k 150k?
In about 1500 miles, I will be performing a transmission fluid and filter change (10K mile mark) and will be installing a PPE deep aluminum transmission pan at the same time. I will probably dump the fluid a couple more times after that to replace as much of the original fluid as possible and then settle into a 50K oil change interval.

The process is not overly complicated, but you do need something to reinstall the fluid. I have this Mityvac with the Ford "nozzle" (the metal candy cane) that I bought to do the work.

Ford Bronco Transmission fluid change questions 20240115_131132

I plan to create a video of the work and will share it.

OP
OP
Crashingken

Crashingken

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In about 1500 miles, I will be performing a transmission fluid and filter change (10K mile mark) and will be installing a PPE deep aluminum transmission pan at the same time. I will probably dump the fluid a couple more times after that to replace as much of the original fluid as possible and then settle into a 50K oil change interval.

The process is not overly complicated, but you do need something to reinstall the fluid. I have this Mityvac with the Ford "nozzle" (the metal candy cane) that I bought to do the work.

Ford Bronco Transmission fluid change questions 20240115_131132

I plan to create a video of the work and will share it.
Perfect, thanks for that and I look forward to watching your process

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Something to think about on extended service intervals on your auto transmission. The higher temps degrade the fluid faster & will not last those extended intervals in providing the protection it needs. So always take into account how you are using your vehicle & plan maintenance accordingly.

$.02 🤠

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It was pretty dang easy on the manual transmission...not sure what you have.

I should probably drain and fill it again...

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Something to think about on extended service intervals on your auto transmission. The higher temps degrade the fluid faster & will not last those extended intervals in providing the protection it needs. So always take into account how you are using your vehicle & plan maintenance accordingly.

$.02 🤠
Agree. In addition, transmissions contain more plastics and electronic components than they ever have and therefore it is more important than ever to have clean and stable fluid.

I cannot help but laugh when I read or hear lifetime fill. What does that even mean? Until the device fails which signifies its end of life?

Onestepmore

Badlands
First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands with Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm going to do my transmission and transfer case at 30k...I change oil every 5k and rotate the tires. I did get the extended warranty (150k or 10years) so I'm going to take it to the dealer for changes so there is no dispute over negligence. Just a thought...

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I will watch Carbon Steel's video and will most likely change the fluid myself. I will buy what I need. The Ford dealer service is pretty good in town although I prefer to change my own fluids. No way will I wait until 150K miles. At that point changing old dirty fluid will do more harm than good. Probably do it at 50K or so.

OP
OP
Crashingken

Crashingken

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After reading carbonsteel's response I think I'm going to do what he does and replace the pan with the aluminum pan which has a nice drain plug on it.
So I'll change mine out once I watch the master do it
Sponsored