First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
I had a dealer do a warranty related transmission partial rebuild on my 10spd auto. When the techs refilled the transmission the overflow valve cause a lot of transmission fluid to build up in a cavity on top of the K-brace by the exhaust, which was not visible upon visible inspection before leaving the shop. It was extremely visible after a short freeway drive and trails of transmission fluid coated my underside.

To top it off, Ford doesn't include a trans fluid dipstick anymore -- so there's no way to confirm it wasn't a leak besides watching the trans temp gauge. About what I've come to expect after owning 5 Fords...
Nobody includes a dip stick anymore. The last car I had one on was a 2004.
They have a dipstick still. It’s just not as easy to get to as a normal one.
Sponsored

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a 2014 ford escape with 2.0L eco boost and changed the oil with full synthetic every 10-15k even with multiple cross country towing. It was an enterprise rental car, bought it with 50k miles and has 130k miles now. It’s a sample of 1 but no issues.
Honestly this change interval debate is never ending. I'm sure there is some science behind the recommended change intervals.

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So... getting the fluid analyzed?

Also... I am super jealous of your workspace!
yea, i second that.... get it analyzed.
then if anything comes up you can post and we can all freak out and change our fluid every oil change....
pleeezzzeee???

Canyon Coolers

Wildtrak
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
canyoncoolers.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco, Dodge 2500, Sprinter Van
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I hear you and I get it. What I’m not hearing from anyone is why?

Think it’s safe to regard the Ford turbo engine as pretty good at this point, so what is it that you’re controlling for?

For example, another good engine, but had issues would be a Mazda rotary; as they ate oil by the quart, but people liked them. Much smaller sample size, but my point is that there is a clear reason to “not“ like that engine.

What’s with the Ecoboost that makes it so hard on even synthetic oil?

There is a rubber belt in the middle of the engine that is constantly bathed in engine oil. It appears like it would require a ton of work to replace, but I think the bigger fear is when it does fail it immediately clogs the oil pick up in the engine which then becomes catastrophic. The fuel system also seems to be super complex so I keep to tier 1 gasoline too.

Sponsored

PolarVortex

Black Diamond
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Black Diamond, Craftsman tractor
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There is a rubber belt in the middle of the engine that is constantly bathed in engine oil. It appears like it would require a ton of work to replace, but I think the bigger fear is when it does fail it immediately clogs the oil pick up in the engine which then becomes catastrophic. The fuel system also seems to be super complex so I keep to tier 1 gasoline too.
Interesting. Do you have any more info on what the belt is responsible for directly? Sounds like it's something like how a timing belt in an interference engine works...or something of the sort?

Canyon Coolers

Wildtrak
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
canyoncoolers.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco, Dodge 2500, Sprinter Van
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Interesting. Do you have any more info on what the belt is responsible for directly? Sounds like it's something like how a timing belt in an interference engine works...or something of the sort?
A good engine overview :

13:58 and 16:00 touch on that stuff.

The belt drives the oil pump. it doesn't seem to be especially prone to failure, but I was lectured by a senior mechanic friend to be aggressive about oil changes and good gasoline, which was re itereated in that video. .

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Actually its a stretch to call the Mazda rotary a "good" engine. Early engines had a history of seal failures and gas mileage was subpar. The new RX8 redesign had major issues too, and engines had to be replaced under warrantee. And it lagged behind conventional reciprocating engines in power and mileage. Kudos to Mazda for giving it a go, but there is a reason why no models today are equipped with the rotary engine. At one time, Popular Mechanics predicted it would replace the reciprocating engine, and GM had already scheduled it into their production runs. GM pulled the plug when they couldn't achieve the same mileage as the reciprocating engine (this was during the 70's oil embargo). Today with normally aspirated reciprocating engines making 600+ HP, the rotary has an uphill battle. Is it cool, YES, and that is why enthusiasts like it and the fact it is unique and rare.
Well, driving enthusiasts liked it because it was easy to modify and almost double the HP output.

To your point, in many ways it was trash, but there is no doubt that The Rx7 and 8 were popular sports cars and street racers.

So bringing this back to our situation, I regard Ford as a top 5 engine builder globally, I mean from concept to execution. Sports cars and Motorsport to SuperDuty truck engines; Ford is arguably the best or one of the best out there. So, with the Ford turbo, or Ecoboost as marketing calls it, why is it so hard on oil in you guys assessment.

I asked this on yesterday, yet not one reply to it; why is that? I know that an enthusiast forum is going to always be full of guys who go farther with things and I think that’s just fine, but because I’m not flipping my Bronco and will keep it long term, trying to understand what I need to do.

Engines overall and vehicles in general last around 20 years these days with minimal maintenance, but I’m willing to do more to keep it optimal, but with the costs of oil changes, even if done at home (would be Amsoil which is nectar from the car gods), that can get pricey quickly.

I’m new to Ford, so just want to better understand.

Reactions: ar1

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Will give you an Amen on that Tier 1 gas, bud. Think I have heard about that belt, so thanks for that reminder.

Hell, for me it’s Buc-ee’s or bust whenever I can run it. Gives you an extra 5 HP per fill up too! :)

Ford Bronco 7mt Transmission Fluid Service @ 1 year/7500mi -- fluid results 1697748273372

Fishwrinkle

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 GC overland 5.7, 18 GC srt 6.4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
5,000 max on the full synth for an Ecoboost. Go longer if you wish. I'm not nor do I recommend doing so. Plenty of Ford techs agree.
have you ever had an analysis done by someone like blackstone? i have not for my bronco, but on a turbo'd 5.7 with amsoil sig series i would go 10k and romp the piss outta it. they said i could safely take it to 12k, but never did. 3k on dino oil is a marketing ploy

Sponsored

P52Ranch

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR 7MT Badlands, F150 Lightning, New Holland 4030
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
yea, i second that.... get it analyzed.
then if anything comes up you can post and we can all freak out and change our fluid every oil change....
pleeezzzeee???
It might test positive for Gatorade.

OP
OP
Sitruc_btb

Sitruc_btb

Badlands
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I find that a very interesting design, the oil pump belt. I wouldnt think that is a good idea, but I guess it works. And the dual injection 2.7's. Another interesting setup.

BlueWaffle

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco, and a trio of 80s GM's.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ford engineers it's products, and suggests maintenance intervals for its products with the goal of 95% of said products lasting 150k miles (info per retired ranger engineer responsible for the fx4 package)

150k miles... that's it.

Part of the equation for ford as well with their reccomended maintenance schedule is to have vehicles with low cost of maintenance. its a selling point.

Many consumers.. if given the choice between vehicle A that will need 1000$ in maintenance over its useful life.. or vehicle B that only needs 350$ in routine maintenance over its useful life... will pick vehicle B...

Do NOT take the Ford maintenance schedule as gospel, if you want to be in your Bronco for the long haul. Just don't.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's slow at work today, so I had some time to change the trans fluid in my Bronco.

Ford Bronco 7mt Transmission Fluid Service @ 1 year/7500mi -- fluid results 1697748273372
FYI, don't let the color of fluids be your guide. Modern oils, transmissions fluids and such have detergents and additives that will darken the color fairly quickly. The next time your oil is changed, take a look 50 or 100 miles later and see how dark it looks already. Let your nose be your first guide, and if there's any real concern, you can have it analyzed. That said, the service interval even for extreme duty is far longer, so I would expect everything is normal.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I find that a very interesting design, the oil pump belt. I wouldnt think that is a good idea, but I guess it works. And the dual injection 2.7's. Another interesting setup.
The dual injection in the 2.7 is actually a good thing. You get the best of direct injection without worrying about buildup on the valves.
Sponsored