Sponsored

TrekTop vs. Bestop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes C43
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm going to be selling my hard top and replacing it with either the TrekTop or the Bestop and I could use some help deciding.

Does anybody have an idea when Mytop will have colored bronco tops available? They haven't even started shipping the black one yet, although they say that production starts this fall. My guess would be a year or more. Thoughts?

Those of you who have had the Trektop, do you think it offers a better or worse open air experience than a top that folds down in the back, like the Mytop or the OEM soft top? I want max convertibleness. I think it looks a little funny folded back since it does not go all the way down, but on the other hand it rests on the cross bar, thereby utilizing that closed space for top storage and maximizing the openness. Also, does the Trektop create wind on the freeway with the top down? It's not behind the windshield because it isn't folded all the way back like the OEM top or Mytop. My thought is that maybe it blows around and is annoying.

What are people selling hard tops for these days generally? They were pretty expensive a while ago but I'm wondering if that might have gone down now that there are other options. FYI I'll probably list mine for sale here in a few months when whichever soft top I chose arrives.
Sponsored

BitterBronco

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Tuxedo Black Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m a bit confused by the title and description.

There’s the OEM soft top, Bestop TrekTop, and then the MyTop Bronco.

OEM folds all the way down but is a bit questionable in quality and durability.

Bestop TrekTop is a higher quality but only folds back along the roof line.

The MyTop looks great but, like you kinda said, no one has it yet so we have no idea. If you buy it then DEFINITELY post a review because we’d all love to hear about it!

As far as value for your hard top, give it a search in the sellers tab. I know they were going for ~$4k+ at one point but I’m sure that’s coming down.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes C43
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks for responding. So I'm just referring to the Bestop as the TrekTop. The Mytop and the EOM top fold all the way back, but the TrekTop only folds to the rear top of the roof. I'm asking, among other things, if anybody has any experience driving with the Trektop folded back, and if it causes wind noise due to not folding all the way down like the Mytop or OEM top.

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for responding. So I'm just referring to the Bestop as the TrekTop. The Mytop and the EOM top fold all the way back, but the TrekTop only folds to the rear top of the roof. I'm asking, among other things, if anybody has any experience driving with the Trektop folded back, and if it causes wind noise due to not folding all the way down like the Mytop or OEM top.
I know this topic is a but old, but figured I'd chime in here.

I had the OEM soft top. I was pretty happy with it other than it's appearance. As we all know, it's ugly as sin. A few months back my OEM soft top got damaged and getting a replacement OEM was a lengthy timeline, so in the interim I bought the readily available Bestop TrekTop. Here is my opinion:

Pros:
It looks awesome.
Rear access.

Cons:
Literally everything else.

1. It is WAAAY louder on the highway. Like, a crazy amount. I have watched these comparison videos by "influencers" that claim the road noise is about the same... Bull. Shit.
2. It takes MUCH longer to put the top back than the OEM. Releasing the front latches to fold it back is difficult. The latches get hung up on the windshield frame almost every time and it takes a while to get them to release. The OEM latches were amazing. Also, the frame is FLIMSY!!! The OEM top frame was rigid and had struts. I could throw it back in 5 seconds at a red light from inside the truck. The Bestop TrekTop has to have one person on each side, or someone standing in the rear row to put it back because of how flimsy the frame is.
3. After only a few months, it is already showing signs of wear. The corners and edges/seams of every piece are curling up and it is getting significantly looser overall. The fabric that folds over the top of the rear window flaps in the wind now. The front bottom corners of the side windows are curling outward and catch wind.

I do love the way it looks, but I HATE the way it functions. But with the way this thing is aging I'm pretty confident I'm going to remove this thing and get something else.

teepee73

First Edition
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I know this topic is a but old, but figured I'd chime in here.

I had the OEM soft top. I was pretty happy with it other than it's appearance. As we all know, it's ugly as sin. A few months back my OEM soft top got damaged and getting a replacement OEM was a lengthy timeline, so in the interim I bought the readily available Bestop TrekTop. Here is my opinion:

Pros:
It looks awesome.
Rear access.

Cons:
Literally everything else.

1. It is WAAAY louder on the highway. Like, a crazy amount. I have watched these comparison videos by "influencers" that claim the road noise is about the same... Bull. Shit.
2. It takes MUCH longer to put the top back than the OEM. Releasing the front latches to fold it back is difficult. The latches get hung up on the windshield frame almost every time and it takes a while to get them to release. The OEM latches were amazing. Also, the frame is FLIMSY!!! The OEM top frame was rigid and had struts. I could throw it back in 5 seconds at a red light from inside the truck. The Bestop TrekTop has to have one person on each side, or someone standing in the rear row to put it back because of how flimsy the frame is.
3. After only a few months, it is already showing signs of wear. The corners and edges/seams of every piece are curling up and it is getting significantly looser overall. The fabric that folds over the top of the rear window flaps in the wind now. The front bottom corners of the side windows are curling outward and catch wind.

I do love the way it looks, but I HATE the way it functions. But with the way this thing is aging I'm pretty confident I'm going to remove this thing and get something else.
That was Super helpful!
Thank you!

Sponsored

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've had the Bestop Tretop on mine for almost a year and a half now. Xmas '21 we had over 11 ft of snow over the course of a week. I'd wake up to 2 ft. on the soft top and it held up awesome. Same thing this year. Holding up great. That said, it is a pain to remove if you want it completely off where the OEM is pretty easy with two people. Living in a very sunny climate with intense sunshine at altitude I rarely fold the top back. What I do is leave the top down but slid out the rear and side panels, roll the windows down or take doors off and it's completely open without getting scorched. On the freeway no flapping side panels or roof at 80 mph +. Also seals up well. I've never felt it was colder than my 4Runner getting in and keeps the dust out on the trails. I sold my OEM soft top for $1400 which covered the cost of the Trektop.

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That was Super helpful!
Thank you!
Forgot to mention the droop that hangs down in the back seat when the top is folded back. Literally touches the headrests.
Sponsored