Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Wrangler, Eldorado, Harley, Triumph
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 2.3L has gone into the Bronco, Ranger, Mustang, and Focus. Much like in the past, each application get a different power yield. Cars get high HP, trucks get high TQ. But it would seem the Bronco/Ranger doesnt get as high a TQ rating as its siblings. Its almost left caged.
Bronco: 270HP-310Ft/Lbs
Ranger: 270HP-310Ft/Lbs
Mustang: 310HP-350Ft/Lbs
Focus RS: 350HP-350Ft/Lbs
I'm sure tuning will be an option, but with it dumbed down from the go, its not funny.
Sponsored

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hp is torque x RPM / 5252... in my experience, trucks generally have a more stable torque curve based on intake runner length and size along with other things like valve size, cam profile, throttle diameter and so forth that limit the RPM potential. Itā€™s the difference found between an old school single versus dual plane intake. However, Iā€™m old and realize I donā€™t usually know what Iā€™m talking about with this modern stuff, so Iā€™ll leave it at that

Edit: as a reference, my 429 shows over 530 ft/lbs of torque from 0-6000 RPM but only 525 HP. It can easily go to 600 HP with a single plane intake and the next size carburetor, but the torque curve just turns into a hump that falls off drastically at 5500 RPM. hope this made some sort of sense

Last edited:

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Damn. Did they do something similar with the 2.7? Obviously they need to have figures for the 2.3 less than the 2.7, but are they crippling BOTH engines for the Bronco? Shit, even just the Mustang level tune would be awesome. I'd be surprised if the Focus RS didn't have more to it, but if it's just bolt-ons this could be fun!

OP
OP
Chuck_Ruck

Chuck_Ruck

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Wrangler, Eldorado, Harley, Triumph
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

trucks generally have a more stable torque curve based on intake runner length and size along with other things like valve size, cam profile, throttle diameter and so forth that limit the RPM potential. Itā€™s the difference found between an old school single versus dual plane intake.
This is absolutely true, and like the title said Car Vs. Truck application.
For example, my F150 has a 4.6L with nearly 8" of intake runner from the main plenum. Less HP, more TQ.
But the 4.6L mustangs had the main plenum dump right into the head ports. More HP, less TQ.
That being said, the torque ratings of the truck applications fall way short of maintaining this trend. The truck 2.3s seem to be getting strangled in performance. Let the performance cars have the high HP, but give us all that torque back.

Sponsored

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My point was the trucks likely have a longer useable torque curve. 350 lbs of torque at 4800 RPM isnā€™t as effective as 310 across the full RPM range. Just my thinking, and I donā€™t claim to be smart

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not likely... those were either intentionally rated low, or the test equipment was limited at the time. Todayā€™s engines are rated as high as they can squeeze the numbers to make them look dramatic. Just my opinion though
Yeah, I was kidding about the Bronco getting on that list :LOL:

Escape Hatch

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mk7 GTI, 19 Atlas SE w/ tech R Line V6 4 motion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The 2.3L has gone into the Bronco, Ranger, Mustang, and Focus. Much like in the past, each application get a different power yield. Cars get high HP, trucks get high TQ. But it would seem the Bronco/Ranger doesnt get as high a TQ rating as its siblings. Its almost left caged.
Focus RS: 350HP-350Ft/Lbs
I'm sure tuning will be an option, but with it dumbed down from the go, its not funny.
I would venture to guess the largest difference is turbo size and tune, at least in comparison to the RS.

Sponsored

Fly by Nite

Base
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F-150 Nite, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Some good comments already concerning intake/exhaust manifolds, cam timing, and tune.
I took a look at the specs on the Ford page. I was expecting to see the Ranger/Bronco rated at a lower RPM but that was not the case. The trucks do have higher compression which should give some more low rpm grunt at the expense of being able to use less boost at high rpms..... but the specs don't reflect that.

I did see the Mustang is rated using premium fuel, so that is a major contributor to the higher hp ratings. It likely uses a different tune utilizing more boost.

Exhaust systems and even air filters can also effect power ratings.

Ranger is 10:1 compression,
270 hp @ 5500 rpm
310 ft/lbs @ 3100 rpm
87 octane fuel

Mustang is 9.5: compression
310*hp @ 5500 rpm*
350 ft/lbs @ 3000 rpm
* follow the asterisk and it's with premium fuel.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A 30-40 hp and TQ difference on a turbo engine is nothing but a tune away

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My guess is they set the HQ/TQ for gas Mileage and motor longevity

jaiuppa

Base
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr CG Mansquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It is public knowledge that these engines are detuned for emissions, warranty, etc. They probably kept the same truck tuning as the ranger to streamline production for now with the 2.3, it will likely change and could be an easy spot for them to improve the model down the road. Its nice that we have evidence the platform can reliably put down more power (mustang/rs #s), and can see how it looks in these cars the past few years, I am ready to start the bolt ons and tuning thats for sure!
Sponsored