Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lugging any turbo gas engine is generally not ideal. I had a Focus ST (2.0 Turbo) and it was tuned. My tuner said to avoid high load/low rpm situations if possible. It's just a recipe for high stress on the pistons/rings/connecting rods. Just use common sense and you'll be fine. Don't be afraid/too lazy to downshift lol
Closest I ever come to lugging is 2nd gear cruising up my folks driveway in my A4

My older sister drives her Escape slow enough that it'd lug, though she's no leadfoot like I am
Sponsored

EcobeastRyan

Base
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 fusion se
Your Bronco Model
Base
Closest I ever come to lugging is 2nd gear cruising up my folks driveway in my A4

My older sister drives her Escape slow enough that it'd lug, though she's no leadfoot like I am
What gen a4? I use to have a b5 2.8

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
it appears there are few aftermarket turbos for the 2.3 Eb but not many. Hoping the aftermarket will offer more options. Coming from a couple of FBO STis, the aftermarket is huge for those cars, but the Subaru EJ25 motor has been around a long time. Based on what I’ve read on Mustang and Ranger forums, I’m expecting an easy +50 hp and +75 torque with bolt ons and protune. I’m hoping Cobb offers their Accessport for the Bronco. They have it for the Focus and Mustang. I emailed them a while back and they responded that they couldn’t confirm if they would be Offering it. I’m also very interested in running E85. My current STi is full bolt on flex fuel E85 protuned and makes +100whp and +150wtq over stock. It’s a keeper:)

Im a little concerned about the max torque rating of 400 on the Bronco Manual transmission although I expect the rating is very conservative. Also have concerns about “ecoboom” after reading about 2.3s blowing up. Subaru had the same issues but I put over 160k miles on both of my STis without any issues. I have a really reputable tuner and I think the same will be a necessity with the Bronco.

Im still torn between NEEDING a manual and only getting the 2.3 and the much higher potential power of the 2.7 with bolt ons and tune but being bored with an auto transmission.

Sponsored

EcobeastRyan

Base
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 fusion se
Your Bronco Model
Base
If I remember correctly the focus rs 2.3 has a thin rear cylinder wall in cylinder 3 which was causing some problems for people along with the faulty head gasket they had issues with. I hope the corrected everything for the bronco

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In general the b5 is amazing...mine on the other hand ?
It was the first gen, and the S4 is legendary.

If I remember correctly the focus rs 2.3 has a thin rear cylinder wall in cylinder 3 which was causing some problems for people along with the faulty head gasket they had issues with. I hope the corrected everything for the bronco
Well, sure they're using the Rangers one, and afaik it's solid, plus again, the engines out for years and they had time to fix any issues, though not saying it'll be 1000% bulletproof, just we know what to expect with it by now

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

it appears there are few aftermarket turbos for the 2.3 Eb but not many. Hoping the aftermarket will offer more options. Coming from a couple of FBO STis, the aftermarket is huge for those cars, but the Subaru EJ25 motor has been around a long time. Based on what I’ve read on Mustang and Ranger forums, I’m expecting an easy +50 hp and +75 torque with bolt ons and protune. I’m hoping Cobb offers their Accessport for the Bronco. They have it for the Focus and Mustang. I emailed them a while back and they responded that they couldn’t confirm if they would be Offering it. I’m also very interested in running E85. My current STi is full bolt on flex fuel E85 protuned and makes +100whp and +150wtq over stock. It’s a keeper:)

Im a little concerned about the max torque rating of 400 on the Bronco Manual transmission although I expect the rating is very conservative. Also have concerns about “ecoboom” after reading about 2.3s blowing up. Subaru had the same issues but I put over 160k miles on both of my STis without any issues. I have a really reputable tuner and I think the same will be a necessity with the Bronco.

Im still torn between NEEDING a manual and only getting the 2.3 and the much higher potential power of the 2.7 with bolt ons and tune but being bored with an auto transmission.
Raiser to swap a better trans and engine than convert an Auto to Manual

My Ecoboost was solid, though everyone's milage my vary.

They'll have something soon enough, seen a random video on my feed for a 600hp Ecoboost mustang once, though I didn't watch it

Bestdayever

Base
First Name
- -Soupbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor.. Boss302..Edge Sport..Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Base
You can build all the horsepower and torque you want. Now the transmission can't handle the torque (broken reaction shells). Transfer cases can't handle it(broken cases). Driveshafts will twist into pretzels. The "U" joint cross shafts break. And the differentials overheat. Just a few things to think about when you want to "build or do" something crazy. The manufacturer only builds them to what there engineers say they will handle. (warranty).

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You can build all the horsepower and torque you want. Now the transmission can't handle the torque (broken reaction shells). Transfer cases can't handle it(broken cases). Driveshafts will twist into pretzels. The "U" joint cross shafts break. And the differentials overheat. Just a few things to think about when you want to "build or do" something crazy. The manufacturer only builds them to what there engineers say they will handle. (warranty).
you gotta pay to play and I guess it depends on the car or truck And how much power you want to add. We don’t know what the 7mt will handle. We have an idea of what the 2.3 EB can handle from Mustangs, Rangers and Focus RS.We don’t yet know how other Bronco components will handle increased power but we will shortly after some shops get their hands on their Broncos.

Most factory turbo cars/trucks will handle boost and power significantly higher than stock. It’s not without risk obviously but coming from a couple of Subaru’s with +100 wtq over stock with over 160k trouble free miles, I know it’s possible. Aftermarket tuning is huge with Ford Ecoboosts, Subarus, BMWs, Porsche’s and just about all turbo cars. With more and more turbos being used in cars, the tuning options continue to grow.

Sponsored

blkreaper

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6G Camaro SS m6, GX470, E39 & E24 BMW, 2005 Range
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
How does tuning impact the warranty on a new vehicle? The main tuning I've done involved spark plugs because I always run v8 and don't feel the need to do that.
you mean carbs? V8's still get tuned

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ford only designed my old 74 maverick with about 145 hp, so i built a 400 hp motor. Never broke anything in the driveline except the parking pawl on the automatic. Before you say thats different driving than offroad, i will tell you, i loved jacking up the air shocks and flying down dirt and gravel roads, slidding around grass parking lots, doing bunny hops on country road crests, and i cant remember many take offs that werent a burnout. Got me a few tickets in that car and couple of nice redlight camera pictures in the mail. All that on a 8 inch rear that had its fluid changed once when i got it and a driveshaft that saw only regreasing of the joints never replaced. Now unless you are saying build quality has gone down by 50% i think we have some wiggle room with the 7 speed and drivetrain up to maybe 500lbft without too much worry. That is unless your rockbouncing with 40s.

Ciz_Bronc_23

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This does not work. Direct injectors are downstream the intake valves. You also should NOT use cleaning products like Sea Foam (spraying in just after throttle body) because any carbon released must go through the turbo and can ruin it. Port injection is good solution for carbon build up as it continually cleans and carbon is released in very small amounts. Another partial solution is an oil catch can for the PCV, but it is only partially effective and the oil has to be dumped every oil change or so.
or vent to atmosphere....I didn't see anything
Sponsored