SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Howdy! Didn't find a tutorial here before I started wiring up my dashcam in the usual way last week, figured I'd add some photos showing the process and what not. Few things to keep in mind compared to most cars I've worked on in the past:
  • The interior fuse box is not behind the glovebox on the passenger side. It's behind the steering column trim panel that houses the headlight switch.
  • I originally tried using fuse #3 because I figured the side mirror controls were on switched power -- they are not switched. I instead used fuse #2 despite there being a 10A fuse there. Typically you want to add-a-fuse to a matching or close to matching slot already in use, so up to you all where you feel best adding your accessories.
Let's get started! Here's a dash cam installed and working on my Badlands 2.3L 7MT, soft top, Lux:
Ford Bronco TUTORIAL: Wiring accessories to interior fuse box with add-a-fuse tap IMG_1145

1. Start by locating the interior fuse box -- it's behind the steering column trim panel. Grab the panel like so, making sure you don't also grab the metal support structure right behind it. If you pull down on that metal support structure, you'll have a bad day 😅 Pull down where my hand is with decent force, sharply, being careful to not break the replaceable blue clips holding the panel in place
    Ford Bronco TUTORIAL: Wiring accessories to interior fuse box with add-a-fuse tap IMG_1147
  2. Once you've pulled the panel down, you'll see the fuse panel back and to the left. Here's a photo with some annotations of how I wired up my dash cam: the red circle shows my add-a-fuse tap in fuse slot #2 for reasons mentioned beforehand, the blue circle shows where I chose to ground this accessory (the black bolt above it did not provide a reliable ground connection, YMMV), and the yellow arrow shows where I routed the cable that goes to my accessory.
    Ford Bronco TUTORIAL: Wiring accessories to interior fuse box with add-a-fuse tap 02_SteeringTrimPanelDow
  3. The reason I chose to route the accessory's cable the direction that yellow arrow is pointing is because there's an access hole in the metal support structure between the steering column trim panel and the side trim panel. Feeding the wire through this access hole allows you to cleanly route the power cable without crimping it between any of these trim panels when you close them back up. Gently pry off the side trim panel shown below so you can access the power cable while you route it through the hole from the fuse box.
    Ford Bronco TUTORIAL: Wiring accessories to interior fuse box with add-a-fuse tap SideTrimPanelO
    Ford Bronco TUTORIAL: Wiring accessories to interior fuse box with add-a-fuse tap FuseboxWireRouti
    Ford Bronco TUTORIAL: Wiring accessories to interior fuse box with add-a-fuse tap SideTrimPanelRouti
  4. The hardest part is complete! The rest is simply pressing gently on the various trim panels and headliner so you can wedge the power cable behind them and cleanly hide them from view. If your power cable is too thin to be wedged cleanly behind the trim panels (especially the headliner which has a lot of play), use some electrical tape to wrap around parts of the cable to thicken it a bit. This will make it easier to wedge into place. Follow the blue arrows below for an easy route up to your destination.
    Ford Bronco TUTORIAL: Wiring accessories to interior fuse box with add-a-fuse tap APillarRouti
  5. All that's left is cleaning up your work! Make sure you secure all of the wires you added in the fuse box area -- I chose to use zipties to secure the new cables to the pre-existing headlight switch cables so they don't come loose and get tangled up behind the trim panel. Please take care when doing this, because your steering column is not very far away from the fusebox itself. Don't leave any loose cables laying around!
Feel free to sound off with any questions you may have!
Sponsored

Last edited:

EMBronco

Base
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Nice write up and pics. I do have a question. Is there a reason you didn’t use one of the empty fuse locations? Do they not have power to them?

OP
OP
SPITmadFIRE

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice write up and pics. I do have a question. Is there a reason you didn’t use one of the empty fuse locations? Do they not have power to them?
I didn't have a fuse tester handy, unfortunately -- I was hesitant to toy around with the empty fuse slots, figuring out which ones are switched and which ones are always powered even with the ignition off.

EMBronco

Base
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I didn't have a fuse tester handy, unfortunately -- I was hesitant to toy around with the empty fuse slots, figuring out which ones are switched and which ones are always powered even with the ignition off.
Got it. I should get my Bronco next month and am hoping to add some seat heaters, so I was curious about power at the empty fuse locations.

OP
OP
SPITmadFIRE

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Got it. I should get my Bronco next month and am hoping to add some seat heaters, so I was curious about power at the empty fuse locations.
Looks like the heated seat modules run from fuses in the engine bay fuse box -- possibly because of the larger current draw? Looks like fuse #38 in the engine bay runs the heated seat module at 30A

Sponsored

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for this!! I was hoping someone had some nicer steps to getting that trim piece off. I’ll be removing that fuse box tomorrow so that I can mount my ham radio behind it

SuzH

Badlands
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.crittear.com
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Howdy! Didn't find a tutorial here before I started wiring up my dashcam in the usual way last week, figured I'd add some photos showing the process and what not. Few things to keep in mind compared to most cars I've worked on in the past:
  • The interior fuse box is not behind the glovebox on the passenger side. It's behind the steering column trim panel that houses the headlight switch.
  • I originally tried using fuse #3 because I figured the side mirror controls were on switched power -- they are not switched. I instead used fuse #2 despite there being a 10A fuse there. Typically you want to add-a-fuse to a matching or close to matching slot already in use, so up to you all where you feel best adding your accessories.
Let's get started! Here's a dash cam installed and working on my Badlands 2.3L 7MT, soft top, Lux:
Ford Bronco TUTORIAL: Wiring accessories to interior fuse box with add-a-fuse tap APillarRouti

1. Start by locating the interior fuse box -- it's behind the steering column trim panel. Grab the panel like so, making sure you don't also grab the metal support structure right behind it. If you pull down on that metal support structure, you'll have a bad day 😅 Pull down where my hand is with decent force, sharply, being careful to not break the replaceable blue clips holding the panel in place
  2. Once you've pulled the panel down, you'll see the fuse panel back and to the left. Here's a photo with some annotations of how I wired up my dash cam: the red circle shows my add-a-fuse tap in fuse slot #2 for reasons mentioned beforehand, the blue circle shows where I chose to ground this accessory (the black bolt above it did not provide a reliable ground connection, YMMV), and the yellow arrow shows where I routed the cable that goes to my accessory.
  3. The reason I chose to route the accessory's cable the direction that yellow arrow is pointing is because there's an access hole in the metal support structure between the steering column trim panel and the side trim panel. Feeding the wire through this access hole allows you to cleanly route the power cable without crimping it between any of these trim panels when you close them back up. Gently pry off the side trim panel shown below so you can access the power cable while you route it through the hole from the fuse box.
  4. The hardest part is complete! The rest is simply pressing gently on the various trim panels and headliner so you can wedge the power cable behind them and cleanly hide them from view. If your power cable is too thin to be wedged cleanly behind the trim panels (especially the headliner which has a lot of play), use some electrical tape to wrap around parts of the cable to thicken it a bit. This will make it easier to wedge into place. Follow the blue arrows below for an easy route up to your destination.
  5. All that's left is cleaning up your work! Make sure you secure all of the wires you added in the fuse box area -- I chose to use zipties to secure the new cables to the pre-existing headlight switch cables so they don't come loose and get tangled up behind the trim panel. Please take care when doing this, because your steering column is not very far away from the fusebox itself. Don't leave any loose cables laying around!
Feel free to sound off with any questions you may have!
Fantastic! THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH! This will help me tremendously! I feel I can do it now! ❤

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Fuse box info from the manual - lots of spare slots but I’m not sure if they’re connected to anything on the backside of the fuse panel. A quick check with a voltmeter will tell all…

OP, thanks for this - I have 2 Garmin Mini2 cams to install and wire to constant power. I am aiming one forward and one backward from the front windshield so I can have a cabin surveillance cam in the soft top.
0547F651-1EE2-458F-A9B6-359A34B1516E.png
A8A89C3B-E5B2-416D-9BFD-9F980598C28C.png
B29F4296-66B7-4C51-BA73-D24937DC602A.png
609D5B84-26B1-492C-8697-8BBBDE8428EA.png
B6E92EF4-74A6-40FB-8B0C-7E05C58A9EC3.png
E23FAB3E-0D0C-40F4-89D4-2200F69A5FC3.png
90EB11E8-3498-474A-94FF-48B00DFAC8AC.png
6532CD30-CEEA-4CE0-988F-95A678973AC3.png

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I wired directly from the battery for my auxiliary brake system for my tow set up. I need constant hot and the 12v outlets shut off after less than one hour. I would have preferred an add a fuse, does anyone know what slots are constant hot without the timed shut down?

OP
OP
SPITmadFIRE

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fuse box info from the manual - lots of spare slots but I’m not sure if they’re connected to anything on the backside of the fuse panel. A quick check with a voltmeter will tell all…

OP, thanks for this - I have 2 Garmin Mini2 cams to install and wire to constant power. I am aiming one forward and one backward from the front windshield so I can have a cabin surveillance cam in the soft top.
Ford Bronco TUTORIAL: Wiring accessories to interior fuse box with add-a-fuse tap 6532CD30-CEEA-4CE0-988F-95A678973AC3
Ford Bronco TUTORIAL: Wiring accessories to interior fuse box with add-a-fuse tap 6532CD30-CEEA-4CE0-988F-95A678973AC3
Yeah, I think the ones listed "spare" are just that -- extra, spare fuses that aren't switched.

Also, I'm hesitant to trust this section of the manual given the very clearly wrong fuse box location specified on page 318. I spent 30 minutes trying to find the fuse box that was apparently behind the glovebox last week to no avail 🥲

Sponsored
OP
OP
SPITmadFIRE

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wired directly from the battery for my auxiliary brake system for my tow set up. I need constant hot and the 12v outlets shut off after less than one hour. I would have preferred an add a fuse, does anyone know what slots are constant hot without the timed shut down?
Not sure if the fuse in slot #3 is close enough to the one your aux brake system uses, but I'm pretty sure the powered side view mirror switches are always hot -- at least that's why I didn't use them for my dashcam specifically 😅

OP
OP
SPITmadFIRE

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

do you know the part # or size of the fuse tap?
Pretty sure most of the fuses in the interior fuse box are Micro2 size, but you should check which fuse you're looking to tap into before you purchase any parts. Fuse taps are pretty common; I ordered a dashcam wiring kit specific to my setup that had multiple fuse taps in it, so your needs will vary.

Brad666

Big Bend
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
own
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Sponsored