John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Owners manual still says

For the first 1,000 mi (1,600 km), avoid driving at high speeds, heavy braking, aggressive shifting or using your vehicle to tow.

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
modern engines are broken in at the factory. Enjoy your ride.
When was the last time you heard of someone having issues because their engine wasn't broken in properly? Can we get back to arguing over synthetic or dino, EFI or Carb, Leaf or Spring?

OP
OP
Bronc69

Bronc69

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911, 2022 X3 (wife's), 2015 GTI (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I worked in the automotive industry (supplier for the production facilities) and had a number of conversations with their engineers along with race engineering teams over the years.

Not all modern engines are "broken in" at the factory. Some higher end, hand-built engines, are actually broken in on a dyno. The engines that go into hundreds of thousands of vehicles are not broken in at the factory. It would be impossible to properly run-in all the components on the engine at that scale.

I keep my vehicles for a long-time. I want them to last as long as possible without any issues (I had a 2000 VW Golf GL, 5-speed manual that I put 240K miles on and traded it for $300 and still had the original clutch).

If you want to drive it like you want to and ignore what the engineers (who actually designed the engine) state as a break-in period - go right ahead. It could end up costing you problems down the road, but we all know it's just a piece of junk that Ford doesn't know how to design an engine properly.

Blakshukvw

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 explorer, 99 explorer, 04 marauder, 23 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Iā€™m a firm believer in driving it on day one like you intend to drive it the rest of its life. Iā€™ve always put my new cars through their paces and itā€™s never disappointed me. Ran several well over 250k.

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ā€˜16 Corvette Z51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Iā€™m a firm believer in driving it on day one like you intend to drive it the rest of its life. Iā€™ve always put my new cars through their paces and itā€™s never disappointed me. Ran several well over 250k.
I do the same thing.

The one thing I do avoid is flat cruising, especially on cruise control for long periods of time. The rings/ engine need variance in RPMs and load to properly break in.
Sponsored