First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I guess Iā€™m an old school nut but I break all of my engines in very gently and change the oil very early and very often. Iā€™ve driven a couple million miles and I have never had a single engine failure/repair on any of my new vehicles. A $50 oil change is very cheap insurance compared to cam phasers or an engine replacement.
Sponsored

Jsullivan

Base
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Explorer, 2016 F350 Diesel, 2013 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
I kinda followed it till 1500 did my first oil change and all is good
Same here.
Now I change oil at 5000 miles.
Although I've only been off road once.

Murraydog11

Outer Banks
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2Dr Outer Banks, Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I did the 1000 mile break-in. First oil change at 2000. Went with full synth. Now it's every 5000 mile oil changes with full synth. I only run 93 octane as well. Runs like a champ!

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well it wasn't so much about the break in as the initial build quality shake down. But I actually took it easy until more like 1,800-2,000 miles...and then drove it a total of 5k miles before going off road.

buschris

Heritage
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
if it didn't have turbos... drive it like you stole it Is the best policy.. without redlining it. I did manual gear changes with foot to floor to 4k and let off to evacuate microscopic particles from the rings and cylinder wall. It needs that quick break in and cylinder pressure to seat the rings properly. Filter change at 2500 miles and it barely showed any particles. But I felt better about it. Oil is still somewhat clear

Sponsored

Obeh4ve

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBA Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Done 1000 mile oil changes on every new motor I've bought or built. Even less many years ago when it was "break in the cam and then change the oil" on a new build. Never experienced negative results from doing so, so I tend to stick with it.

Dorf2point0

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer, 2005 Explorer, 2013 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This topic has several threads already, but I do like the poll, @Ice Age.

Because there are so many issues being discussed about the 2.7, think you at least want to take it a tad easy.

The ā€œchange the oil at 1000ā€ has also been debated here a ton, but in the end guys went to their perspective corners on the topic, be damned what a manual or some team of engineers says, my dad did it, so thatā€™s the gospel! Goddamnit! šŸ˜ 

Taking it easy doesnā€™t mean drive like grandma, but remember that this ainā€˜t a Mustang and really doesnā€™t want to haul ass anyway since it weighs 5000lbs. Well, unless youā€™re in some dirt.
Great summation ā€¦ Breakend is just that.. Lots of ā€œstuffā€ is adjusted in the first 500 to 1000 miles.. Then, time to get that oil out.. As far as fuel economy, 5000 miles seems to be the ā€œMagicā€ number.. Itā€™s amazing how much the Dealership fought me on a 1800 mile first change on a 3.0L in the 2022 Explorer . Drove it another 1000 miles then put on old fashion Frantz bypass filtration. I think she is running clean and she acts like it every day. šŸ¤“. She wants to ā€œGOā€!!!
My 2023 Outlander had 5000 dealer maintenance shop miles.. Donā€™t know if the shop changed her around 1000 or not.. Oil is clean now, but that wonā€™t last.. 2023 is next for bypass filtration, the oil cartridge is just TOO small..

IPRoutes

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It isn't just the engine that needs a break-in though 1000 miles seems excessive. By 500 miles, IMO, it is done.
I drive normally during break-in. Vary rpm's but don't get anywhere close to redline, don't use cruise control, but most important, IMO, and not just during the break-in period, don't put high load on the engine till the oil is warmed up.
Sponsored