Sponsored

Auto start stop during break-in period ok for engine?

joez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Just got a new bronco and wondering what people's opinion are on of using the auto start/stop feature during break-in. I am thinking is not good to keep stopping/starting the engine at every stop light during break-in.
Thanks
Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just got a new bronco and wondering what people's opinion are on of using the auto start/stop feature during break-in. I am thinking is not good to keep stopping/starting the engine at every stop light during break-in.
Thanks
It won’t hurt anything. Auto start stop has been around for a long time now, with zero evidence of it causing any issues during a break in period. You can always turn it off though if you don’t want it to activate.

Necronomicon

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It likely wont hurt anything but all the same during break in miles i plan on keeping mine off. I'm just not a fan of a unbroken in engine starting over and over and over while honing. I'd rather just keep oil pumping the entire time it runs then change it early ( 1k-ish miles) to flush our contaminants. I'm prolly overkill thou...

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
I hate auto start/stop. Not hard to push the button as part of my start up routine. It's a feel good feature that at the end of the day does nothing but annoy...

Jsb

Wildtrak
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco wildtrack, 2019 Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Probably the most useless gimmick ever put on a modern vehicle whether breaking in an engine or not. Depending on your driving conditions, it will actually use more gas instead of saving.

Sponsored

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don't see it as a problem letting the shut off do its thing. You can always disable it by pushing the button. Mine worked fine when I first got my Bronco and usually almost always shut off at every light. I would use the disable button if I knew the light would be short. At long lights I would let it just shut off. Long lights like 5 min or more the shut off would even time out. I actually liked the feature to save gas.

Now almost 2 years later the automatic shut off barely works. I don't know what happened but it shuts off only once in a while now. My previous 2019 VW Jetta did the same thing. When almost new it worked great, then 2 years old the shut off barely shut the car off anymore. Maybe something to do with the battery getting older?

TX-Dennis

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Maybe something to do with the battery getting older?
That's exactly right. The vehicle measures the state of the battery. Once your battery is about 2.5 to 3 years old it won't work at all until you replace the battery.

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Probably the most useless gimmick ever put on a modern vehicle whether breaking in an engine or not. Depending on your driving conditions, it will actually use more gas instead of saving.
Not useless, saves around 10% of fuel for city driving. I think the breakeven point is around 7 seconds of the engine being shut off to make up for whatever additional fuel is needed for a restart. If you're idling for more than 7 seconds, you're wasting fuel.

Dialtone

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend Mid
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I put daytime running lights in the same category

Fmuguira

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And will we next get a “neutral feature” which kicks you out of gear when the inclinometer senses more than a 2-3 % downhill grade …? Hey, I better file for a patent before the auto manufacturers steal the idea …!! 😂

Sponsored

Jsb

Wildtrak
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco wildtrack, 2019 Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I don't see it as a problem letting the shut off do its thing. You can always disable it by pushing the button. Mine worked fine when I first got my Bronco and usually almost always shut off at every light. I would use the disable button if I knew the light would be short. At long lights I would let it just shut off. Long lights like 5 min or more the shut off would even time out. I actually liked the feature to save gas.

Now almost 2 years later the automatic shut off barely works. I don't know what happened but it shuts off only once in a while now. My previous 2019 VW Jetta did the same thing. When almost new it worked great, then 2 years old the shut off barely shut the car off anymore. Maybe something to do with the battery getting older?
It is because after all that stopping and starting, your battery is toast at about 3yrs and your starter will be next.