Fly

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Dredging this thread up to add a data point. Yes, I went almost 10k on the original oil. No, my engine hasn’t exploded yet. The viscosity is a bit lower than I hoped so I’ll probably switch to 5k intervals now.

Ford Bronco Update: 2nd Blackstone Oil Analysis Results (2.7 Bronco) @ 4,000 miles (3000 on Oil) 22-BRONCO-231204
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Dredging this thread up to add a data point. Yes, I went almost 10k on the original oil. No, my engine hasn’t exploded yet. The viscosity is a bit lower than I hoped so I’ll probably switch to 5k intervals now.

22-BRONCO-231204.jpg
You should consider switching to a lab that uses gas chromatography for fuel dilution testing. Blackstone does not and therefore the results are very subjective/inaccurate.

The viscosity is into the 20 grade viscosity range (5.6 to 9.29) and (speaking for me), I would not want that in a HO twin turbocharged engine for any length of time.

Reactions: Fly

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You should consider switching to a lab that uses gas chromatography for fuel dilution testing. Blackstone does not and therefore the results are very subjective/inaccurate.

The viscosity is into the 20 grade viscosity range (5.6 to 9.29) and (speaking for me), I would not want that in a HO twin turbocharged engine for any length of time.
Interesting. First I’ve heard that suggestion. Considering both of my vehicles suffer from fuel in the oil…

I figured Blackstone was the gold standard. Guess I’ll search other labs. Didn’t really consider there were others offering the same service.

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Interesting. First I’ve heard that suggestion. Considering both of my vehicles suffer from fuel in the oil…

I figured Blackstone was the gold standard. Guess I’ll search other labs. Didn’t really consider there were others offering the same service.
Go for Horizon/Polaris. Blackstone is good for an "average" UOA and for many it's good enough, but I want the latest ASTM methodologies and testing processes along with gas chromatography for fuel dilution.

Blackstone is typically more expensive and charges extra for TAN or TBN which is included with Horizon/Polaris.

I buy my kits from Amsoil and they are about $23 each with a preferred account. Polaris has labs in 3 or 4 places in the US.

Last edited:

murphtron

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2013 Toyota Highlander, 2000 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Go for Horizon/Polaris. Blackstone is good for an "average" UOA and for many it's good enough, but I want the latest ASTM methodologies and testing processes along with gas chromatography for fuel dilution.

Blackstone is typically more expensive and charges extra for TAN or TBN which is included with Horizon/Polaris.

I buy my kits from Amsoil and they are about $23 each with a preferred account. Polaris has labs in 3 or 4 places in the US.
Do you use the OLBTP test for $45?

Sponsored

Donkeygyrl

Base
First Name
Sheri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

They used to tell us the altitude above you and the runway behind you is worthless, miss those days!

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Last edited:

murphtron

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2013 Toyota Highlander, 2000 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
These kits are specific to Horizon/Polaris?
Correct. Polaris is the lab behind Amsoil's UOA kits and Horizon is the software.
Sponsored