Reaction score
Website
www.puravidaoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
a number of classics and my 4dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

03/02/22 Update: They replaced MB3Z*7P238*D transfer case module today, and it seems to have solved the issue. I drove it for a while in Sport mode, which should be harder on the transfer case and places it in 4A. I tried lots of tight turns under power on dry pavement and was never able to trigger the warning again. I'll continue to test it out, but all seems well.

I’ve had my Badlands for just under a week, and have been running in 4auto the entire time as we’ve been getting a lot of snow. The snow is drying up and the roads are mostly clear and I got a “service vehicle soon “ warning and a “check 4x4” warning.

I took it into the dealer and there were no codes. I scheduled an appointment for next week to look into it, however in the meantime they are telling me that 4A is not for use on dry pavement. I thought that was the entire point of having 4A and I’m doubting his recommendation.
Thoughts?

Ford Bronco Updated: Check 4x4 warning alert - 4A E2DB51FF-9C44-4C8F-A586-BB26EC2AE70C
Sponsored

Last edited:

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I had the same and the dealer said they could not find anything. The problem went away and resolved itself. That is not very comforting. As for 4x4A - that is the point is to use it - similar to full-time 4x4, it turns on automatically. Actually, Sport mode uses it all the time.

The funny thing is I was just on a road trip and stopped to get a Coke at a store. When I came out I had zero power. I opened the hood and found my neg battery cable was completely loose. Try to check that, I bet loose connections cause a lot of these issues.

Wide Open Roads

Badlands
First Name
Stace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Outback, '57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta, '10 911 C2S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve had my Badlands for just under a week, and have been running in 4auto the entire time as we’ve been getting a lot of snow. The snow is drying up and the roads are mostly clear and I got a “service vehicle soon “ warning and a “check 4x4” warning.

I took it into the dealer and there were no codes. I scheduled an appointment for next week to look into it, however in the meantime they are telling me that 4A is not for use on dry pavement. I thought that was the entire point of having 4A and I’m doubting his recommendation.
Thoughts?

Ford Bronco Updated: Check 4x4 warning alert - 4A E2DB51FF-9C44-4C8F-A586-BB26EC2AE70C
I know it likely won't make a difference, but if you talk to the dealer again, ask in what conditions you'd use 4A. If they say it's only off-road or during slippery conditions, ask what then is the difference between 4A and 4H. I'm curious what the dealers answer would be.

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I know it likely won't make a difference, but if you talk to the dealer again, ask in what conditions you'd use 4A. If they say it's only off-road or during slippery conditions, ask what then is the difference between 4A and 4H. I'm curious what the dealers answer would be.

While you are at that, then ask why the Sport mode engages 4x4A - and in what conditions you would use Sport mode.

stormshadow3800

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta TDI, Bronco Badlands (SAS)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is a great read https://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech-articles/understanding-the-4wd-in-your-ford/

Specifically to your question:

4A (4X4 AUTO) – Provides electronic controlled four-wheel drive with power delivered to the front and rear wheels, as required, for increased traction. 4A tuning varies based on selected Drive Mode. 4A in Normal and Sport is appropriate for all on-road driving conditions, including, dry road surfaces. 4A in Snow/Wet is appropriate for slippery on-road conditions such as snow and ice covered roads.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If while you are in 4A you get a lot of wheel slip. It can overheat the clutches and then it defaults to 4H. May of may not apply to your situation. 4A on dry roads is perfectly fine.

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is a great read https://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech-articles/understanding-the-4wd-in-your-ford/

Specifically to your question:

4A (4X4 AUTO) – Provides electronic controlled four-wheel drive with power delivered to the front and rear wheels, as required, for increased traction. 4A tuning varies based on selected Drive Mode. 4A in Normal and Sport is appropriate for all on-road driving conditions, including, dry road surfaces. 4A in Snow/Wet is appropriate for slippery on-road conditions such as snow and ice covered roads.
Exactly.
OP, you're dealer is either a moron or trying to avoid work/cost to resolve the issue. The Slippery GOAT mode (which is not intended for dry pavement) may use 4A, but that doesn't mean 4A isn't intended for such conditions. As others have pointed out, Sport mode (which is clearly intended for dry pavement) defaults to 4A if available.

Bongo Fury

Base
First Name
Bongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Base
"I know it likely won't make a difference, but if you talk to the dealer again, ask in what conditions you'd use 4A. If they say it's only off-road or during slippery conditions, ask what then is the difference between 4A and 4H. I'm curious what the dealers answer would be."
Ford Bronco Updated: Check 4x4 warning alert - 4A 1641245685489

Point out page 182 to the dealer and inquire what "all on-road conditions" describes.
Myself, on dry roads, given the option I'd stick with the 2WD.

OP
OP
UtahBrandon

UtahBrandon

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puravidaoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When in 4A on dry pavement, I get power distribution to all 4 wheels all the time. I have yet to see it only feed the rear wheels.

When turning tight in 4A, I feel the wheels binding up. I’m wondering if 4A is always 4H in mine and the module or unit needs service?

When I get the 4x4 code error, then it reverts to 2H.
Ford Bronco Updated: Check 4x4 warning alert - 4A 5DDC72B2-9BB9-481E-8535-31E9A9286214

Sponsored

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When in 4A on dry pavement, I get power distribution to all 4 wheels all the time. I have yet to see it only feed the rear wheels.

When turning tight in 4A, I feel the wheels binding up. I’m wondering if 4A is always 4H in mine and the module or unit needs service?

Ford Bronco Updated: Check 4x4 warning alert - 4A 5DDC72B2-9BB9-481E-8535-31E9A9286214
I looked at that screen once in 4A and I got a few green bars on the rear wheels without any on the front.

Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base

I usually put the power distribution screen on while in 4A. Always shows the front wheels powering off and on. Shows and has noticeable grip while turning on dry pavement.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I usually put the power distribution screen on while in 4A. Always shows the front wheels powering off and on. Shows and has noticeable grip while turning on dry pavement.
Clearly I haven’t played with my menu settings enough. I’ll need to check this out!

bkfit

Base
First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Good idea 🤙🏽

OP
OP
UtahBrandon

UtahBrandon

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puravidaoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Update:
The dealership took a look and they're going to replace the transfer case module to enable selection of 4A. I'm heading over there in a bit and I'll try to get a part number as I'm curious.

Unfortunately, it'll take 4-6 weeks to arrive, however, I can still drive it in 2A, and they think it's fine to drive in 4L/4H as needed as well. I just won't have 4A.
Sponsored