Sponsored

UPDATED with mounting question 3/12/2024 - Recommendations for video setup for Moab trip.

WitsBronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Wildtrack 4 door soft top
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hey all. My wife and I are scheduled to head to the Bronco Rodeo thing in Moab at the end of March. I am figuring we'll get some nice sights, and a different landscape than we are used to on the east coast, so I was thinking I will invest in an "action cam" setup to capture some fun video during our trip offroad. I haven't messed with any of these devices since the OLD gopro days, probably hero 3 or something. I am curious if anyone can provide a recommendation of a good option for this type of use, along with simple mounting. We'll probably just do a suction cup inside the windshield, though I would be curious about what others use and have fun with during offroading? Thanks a lot in advance for any recommendations and education!
Sponsored

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

New gopro's are just as good and useful as the old ones, and most of the mounts still work, so getting something new isn't a bad idea.

There's some other action cams out there that are super handy as well, like the DJI Osmo (the gimbal on that is made of magic).

If you really want to go bonkers, pick up a drone that has follow mode (DJI Mini 3 pro or higher) and fire that thing up to have it follow you around while you wheel (airspace permitting, of course)

OP
OP

WitsBronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have broken a few drones, so I am going to pass on that option but it would be fun I'm sure. Thanks for that idea.

I saw that DJI has that osmo device. The gopro cameras I had long ago are gone, with all the accessories, so I am starting from a clean slate.

Looking for good kit for getting some nice offroad video and I guess for other vehicles, motorcycles and possibly other activities.. but that is secondary. I have seen that device that does the 360 from a stick on the back of the vehicle. I presume that isn't the best option for offroading on east coast, though might be cool for more open Moab.

All ideas are much appreciated! Thanks, Hotdog. haha.

New gopro's are just as good and useful as the old ones, and most of the mounts still work, so getting something new isn't a bad idea.

There's some other action cams out there that are super handy as well, like the DJI Osmo (the gimbal on that is made of magic).

If you really want to go bonkers, pick up a drone that has follow mode (DJI Mini 3 pro or higher) and fire that thing up to have it follow you around while you wheel (airspace permitting, of course)

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most people (including myself) will tell you that Osmo Action 4 is a better camera than the GoPro Hero 12. BUT, the "ecosystem" around the cameras when it comes to accessories, mounts, lenses, community, etc. is still a lot better on GoPro.

So... it's kind of trade-off and depends on your priorities. And even though the Osmo Action has a leg up on the GoPro currently when it comes to the camera, they're not so far apart from one another that I would consider the GoPro Hero 12 a bad purchase. In the grand scheme of things they're very similar to each other.

OP
OP

WitsBronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks! Do you have the DJI and do you use it on vehicles? What kind of setup do you use with it if you do.

Most people (including myself) will tell you that Osmo Action 4 is a better camera than the GoPro Hero 12. BUT, the "ecosystem" around the cameras when it comes to accessories, mounts, lenses, community, etc. is still a lot better on GoPro.

So... it's kind of trade-off and depends on your priorities. And even though the Osmo Action has a leg up on the GoPro currently when it comes to the camera, they're not so far apart from one another that I would consider the GoPro Hero 12 a bad purchase. In the grand scheme of things they're very similar to each other.

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks! Do you have the DJI and do you use it on vehicles? What kind of setup do you use with it if you do.
I have both the DJI and the GoPro. I've used GoPro for a long time now, and my current DJI is a refurbished unit that I bought just to see how I liked it. (Turns out I like it alot.)

I use the GoPro more often simply because I have more mounts for it, but I'll likely be slowly transitioning over to DJI as time goes on... unless GoPro pulls something magical out of their hat for the Hero 13.

For inside the Bronco I use a 1/4"-20 mounting arm with the GoPro Hero 12. The Hero 12 has 1/4"-20 threads built into the bottom of the camera, and the Bronco has 1/4"-20 threads on the dash, so it's a no-brainer. For outside the vehicle I use the suction mount for the Osmo Action 4, and the magnetic mount for my GoPro Hero 11.

OP
OP

WitsBronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thank you very much for the detailed response and information. I think I know the answer, but just to go through the exercise, since you have experience with both, I definitely appreciate and value your opinion. If you were starting with nothing as I am, and want to capture the scenery and on trail "action" for a trip to Moab.. What are you purchasing. Again, if you were starting from scratch. I'm presuming DJI from your prior post - but if you were doing bronco rodeo next week what camera and mount would you snag. I just haven't used these things with a vehicle so am not sure on an offroad trip what the best mount / vantage point for taking in the action would be "in the wild". Thanks a lot for the advice and info!

I have both the DJI and the GoPro. I've used GoPro for a long time now, and my current DJI is a refurbished unit that I bought just to see how I liked it. (Turns out I like it alot.)

I use the GoPro more often simply because I have more mounts for it, but I'll likely be slowly transitioning over to DJI as time goes on... unless GoPro pulls something magical out of their hat for the Hero 13.

For inside the Bronco I use a 1/4"-20 mounting arm with the GoPro Hero 12. The Hero 12 has 1/4"-20 threads built into the bottom of the camera, and the Bronco has 1/4"-20 threads on the dash, so it's a no-brainer. For outside the vehicle I use the suction mount for the Osmo Action 4, and the magnetic mount for my GoPro Hero 11.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you very much for the detailed response and information. I think I know the answer, but just to go through the exercise, since you have experience with both, I definitely appreciate and value your opinion. If you were starting with nothing as I am, and want to capture the scenery and on trail "action" for a trip to Moab.. What are you purchasing. Again, if you were starting from scratch. I'm presuming DJI from your prior post - but if you were doing bronco rodeo next week what camera and mount would you snag. I just haven't used these things with a vehicle so am not sure on an offroad trip what the best mount / vantage point for taking in the action would be "in the wild". Thanks a lot for the advice and info!
GoPro Hero 12

OP
OP

WitsBronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Interesting. I was expecting you would start with DJI. Thanks for the direction and links!

Curious if anyone would recommend one of these insta360 setups mounted on the hood or something for availability of the 360 degree video depending on what you get into on the trail?

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interesting. I was expecting you would start with DJI. Thanks for the direction and links!

Curious if anyone would recommend one of these insta360 setups mounted on the hood or something for availability of the 360 degree video depending on what you get into on the trail?
No personal experience with the Insta360, but a lot of people like it.

And I would have recommended the DJI Osmo Action 4, but the accessories are just not quite there yet. I personally have no way to mount it inside my Bronco, I would of needed to use the suction mount (not a fan) or $80 in adapters to make it happen.

If this was a long-term thing and you wanted to really build up over time I believe DJI would be the better choice, as the momentum seems to be in DJI's favor. This is especially true if you wanted to get a drone and were intending to mix footage between the Osmo Action and a DJI drone. Much easier to edit shots when they're using similar color profiles, sensors, and image algorithms. But you didn't seem super keen about getting a drone again, so there doesn't seem to be a super compelling reason for you to get the DJI over the GoPro.

Sponsored
OP
OP

WitsBronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Understood.. Yeah, I am not going to go crazy with it, so your recommendation makes sense, and I appreciate it. I am just trying to wrap my mind around whether I will use something like the insta360. I have seen buddies post videos of track days on their motorcycles and cars, and Tail of the Dragon and other twisties in cars, and it looks neat.. But I am trying to stay realistic with what I will use it for.

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm just waiting on an excuse to convert everything to DJI. GoPro's software is so frustrating and oh so much overheating.

That being said, hours of mounted/in-vehicle footage is pretty boring to watch. Consider going for the Osmo Pocket 3 for a gimbal stabilized platform. There is still a place for a fixed mount action cam as well. If you're going to be filming other people or walking around the Osmo kicks ass.

OP
OP

WitsBronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks, Jedi.. I appreciate the input. I am actually leaning toward the insta360 type device after seeing some of the stuff it is capable of capturing. I am on the fence about whether I would ever carry a recording device around on a stick, but the insta360 has a few options I am trying to wrap my head around. I appreciate the help - we're in Moab on 3/28 through 4/1 for some exploring and the bronco rodeo, so I have a little time left to figure it out. haha.

OP
OP

WitsBronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ok - as a follow-up to my prior post, for our use I decided to try the insta360 X3. We are going to be offroad in Moab, a bucket list trail ride for me, so I figured I wanted the 360 degree camera so I can look back and enjoy the surroundings, not just where the camera is aimed.

My next hunt is for a good mounting option. I was thinking a suction cup type setup on the hood, but as I started searching, it seems there are a ton of potential options, with multiple suction cup attachments. That seemed like a pretty intrusive setup for a trail ride in the Bronco Off-Rodeo vehicle.

I am hoping to get some recommendations from members who use one of these cameras and have found something relatively simple and sturdy that they would buy again. Thanks a lot in advance!

OP
OP

WitsBronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
GoPro Hero 12
These options helped.. It sounds like the bronco off rodeo vehicles may have mounting options, but I am thinking for Moab a hood mounted insta360 x3 might create some pretty awesome video footage to look back on and enjoy.
Sponsored