First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Due to the lack of a CD player I have loaded lots of tunes onto USB thumb drives. When I plug it in the system recognizes it and will begin to play. After a few tunes or about 15 to 20 munutes, it just stops playing, usually mid song. I believe I have formatted them correctly, and everything seems to work until it doesn't. What could be the problem?
Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
No idea.

I put 1400+ songs on a thumb drive for a road trip from Phoenix to Northern California and it never missed a beat. Songs were in individual album directories, so I could select albums or just tell it "shuffle everything"

So, not terribly helpful, I know, but evidence that it does work.

Also, I had a mix of .wav and .mp3 files. Played both flawlessly.

jacknifetoaswan

Wildtrak
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It could be a problem with a sector or sectors of the flash storage. Sometimes those are just bad, and while a full fledged PC may be able to just skip to the next storage sector, the limited functionality of Sync may not.

I'd try another flash drive.

JR

OP
OP

gelect1

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thanks for the replies. I've tried three different drives with the same result. They were three the same sold together in a blister pack. PNY 32 GB if that makes a difference. Also they start randomly and there is no table of contents or means to select what to play. When it does play it shows tha song and artist and disolays a graphic

spuddy59

Base
First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks for the replies. I've tried three different drives with the same result. They were three the same sold together in a blister pack. PNY 32 GB if that makes a difference. Also they start randomly and there is no table of contents or means to select what to play. When it does play it shows tha song and artist and disolays a graphic
I had similar issues with a USB drive that I had loaded music on from a MacBook. I reformatted and used a Windows machine and the issues went away. From what I gathered macOS adds some smaller files that the Sync system can see but can’t do anything with and it causes problems.

Sponsored

BroncoA512021

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Due to the lack of a CD player I have loaded lots of tunes onto USB thumb drives. When I plug it in the system recognizes it and will begin to play. After a few tunes or about 15 to 20 munutes, it just stops playing, usually mid song. I believe I have formatted them correctly, and everything seems to work until it doesn't. What could be the problem?
Perhaps your Bronco is not happy with your taste in music?

Denny Swift

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
718 Spyder, 992 GTS, Citroen 2CV, Husky FE350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I ripped my 450+ CD collection onto a tiny thumb drive. It has been working great in my Badlands. I also love the voice command access. I just say, "Browse The Cure" for example, and all my Cure Albums are listed. Then I just touch the one I want. (I wish the voice command worked in my Porsche!) I've listened to music non-stop for hours without a hiccup. I'd try reformatting the drive or try a different drive.

tractorcrusher

Black Diamond
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
PNY is a good brand, I would just make sure it's formatted as FAT32. (should be an option when you format the drive).

One word of caution though, if you buy flash drives through Amazon there are a LOT of knock off drives on there that aren't legit and usually don't have anywhere near the advertised capacity. Also, some of the knock off drives have hidden malware, too. It's a big problem on Amazon. Hell, there have been reports of Amazon inadvertently selling knock off shampoo and toothpaste. These things tend to happen due to Amazon resellers- they get put on amazon, sell some legit ones, build ratings, then start filtering in knock-offs until they're all knock offs.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
PNY is a good brand, I would just make sure it's formatted as FAT32. (should be an option when you format the drive).

One word of caution though, if you buy flash drives through Amazon there are a LOT of knock off drives on there that aren't legit and usually don't have anywhere near the advertised capacity. Also, some of the knock off drives have hidden malware, too. It's a big problem on Amazon. Hell, there have been reports of Amazon inadvertently selling knock off shampoo and toothpaste. These things tend to happen due to Amazon resellers- they get put on amazon, sell some legit ones, build ratings, then start filtering in knock-offs until they're all knock offs.
This. Also watch out for other counterfeit items, my insurance agent who owns a Bronco, got a counterfeit oil filter from Amazon.

Sponsored
OP
OP

gelect1

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thanks guys. Any differecce between Quick format and regular?

Badger_Dad

Wildtrak
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco 4 dr Hardtop
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I've noticed that on occasion, when using my USB to play music, the actual USB will heat up and cause the player to stop working. I end up unplugging it and just listening to Sirrius Satelite.

Bronco9462

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Try formatting the usb in fat32 format. I saw it on a YouTube video and haven’t had any issues using mine.

tractorcrusher

Black Diamond
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks guys. Any differecce between Quick format and regular?
Quick format should be fine, but full format also scans for bad sectors. Quick format takes seconds whereas full format can take hours. If you're going to full format make sure you're plugged into a USB 3 slot, looks like a normal USB slot but the plastic inside the slot is blue instead of black.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I don't know if this is it, but the next time it stops playing touch the USB drive and see how hot it is. I have one of those tiny little USB drives that barely stick out. Problem is they get super hot.

Initially I thought maybe it was the Ford USB port that was overheating. But I put a small extension cable in between and the heat stayed with the USB and not the plug.

And I have a name brand USB.
Sponsored