Jawaburger

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2 Door, Manual, Cactus Gray
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My 128 GB tiny flash drive (Sticks out 1/4")is formatted to FAT32, I have never had playback issues and have never had overheating issues since February 2022 when I started using the USB input for music. It is my only source of music in the Bronco.

I use mostly FLAC files, but also have some mp3 files.
Sponsored

E. J

Big Bend
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 SCab 4X4 XLT
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I don't know if this is it, but the next time it stops playing touch the USB drive and see how hot it is. I have one of those tiny little USB drives that barely stick out. Problem is they get super hot.

Initially I thought maybe it was the Ford USB port that was overheating. But I put a small extension cable in between and the heat stayed with the USB and not the plug.

And I have a name brand USB.
Because my thumb drive was getting hot this year and stopped being recognized, I added a six inch USB cable. This gets the heat away from the Ford USB component. Working so far.

Billy Goat

Wildtrak
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Velociraptor 400
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I don't know if this is it, but the next time it stops playing touch the USB drive and see how hot it is. I have one of those tiny little USB drives that barely stick out. Problem is they get super hot.

Initially I thought maybe it was the Ford USB port that was overheating. But I put a small extension cable in between and the heat stayed with the USB and not the plug.

And I have a name brand USB.
Ditto, my issue as well

bravely

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
3490 s leonard rd, new palestine in 46163
Vehicle(s)
1973 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Due to the lack of a CD player I have loaded lots of tunes onto USB thumb drives. When I plug it in the system recognizes it and will begin to play. After a few tunes or about 15 to 20 munutes, it just stops playing, usually mid song. I believe I have formatted them correctly, and everything seems to work until it doesn't. What could be the problem?
I had a similar issue. My solution was to split the music into several folders, rather than everything in the root directory. I have 26 folders with 370 songs in each. No issues since.

Sponsored
OP
OP

gelect1

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I had a similar issue. My solution was to split the music into several folders, rather than everything in the root directory. I have 26 folders with 370 songs in each. No issues since.
This seemed to do the trick. I broke them down into more manageable folders and I think my problem is solved. It sure was a lot easier recording cassettes from vinyl! Thanks to all who chipped in.

Bluedoggie

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Big Bend, 22 Volvo xc60
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks for the replies. I've tried three different drives with the same result. They were three the same sold together in a blister pack. PNY 32 GB if that makes a difference. Also they start randomly and there is no table of contents or means to select what to play. When it does play it shows tha song and artist and disolays a graphic
Try a SanDisk
Sometimes the PNYs are not compatible. Also make sure it's NOT formatted ntfs.

Last edited:

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks for the replies. I've tried three different drives with the same result. They were three the same sold together in a blister pack. PNY 32 GB if that makes a difference. Also they start randomly and there is no table of contents or means to select what to play. When it does play it shows tha song and artist and disolays a graphic
That's because you have all your songs in a single directory. If you put them in subfolders by album you can select an album with the browse "button". (touch screen button)

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Due to the lack of a CD player I have loaded lots of tunes onto USB thumb drives. When I plug it in the system recognizes it and will begin to play. After a few tunes or about 15 to 20 munutes, it just stops playing, usually mid song. I believe I have formatted them correctly, and everything seems to work until it doesn't. What could be the problem?
I've got a 32 Gb thumb dive, dunno the brand, which I had in my 2014 FieSTa which I sold to help pay for the Bronco.
it always worked fine in the FieSTa.
Ford Stync in the Bronco offtimes fails to recognize the usb drive, so I unplug/replug, and then it seems to work for awhile.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well the directory file limit for fat32 is 65K after all :ROFLMAO:

Dang you ppl have alot of songs. Speaking of which, have you noticed how stupid Ford handles random? OMG, worse design ever. Makes it impossible to browse to a song you want when Random is turned on.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Because my thumb drive was getting hot this year and stopped being recognized, I added a six inch USB cable. This gets the heat away from the Ford USB component. Working so far.
Yeah I was blown away. The metal part of the USB drive was so hot it would burn my fingers. Ironically, that little gap right between the bottom of the dash and the USB plug works perfect to shove that extension up in and kind of get it out of the way.

RimrockPaul

Base
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
neither is my wife, but my free 90 day sirius trial ended and I need my 60's oldies fix! I downloaded from a windows 10 based pcand they play fine on that
I got a cool offer from sxm after my freebie subscription ran out. 5 bucks a month. No sports but all the music. Not bad deal.

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No idea.

I put 1400+ songs on a thumb drive for a road trip from Phoenix to Northern California and it never missed a beat. Songs were in individual album directories, so I could select albums or just tell it "shuffle everything"

So, not terribly helpful, I know, but evidence that it does work.

Also, I had a mix of .wav and .mp3 files. Played both flawlessly.
I would like to do this but never have and don't know how. I have purchased the flash drives. Do I just plug these into my home PC, go to a music catalog page and download to the drive? Or do you need a specific format/program to do this? Thanks for any advice.

Bronco Master

Base
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Base, 2017 Ford Superduty F-250 STX
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

GET A MAC!

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

There is a related discussion here: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/mp3-files-on-usb-thumb-drive-some-are-missing.68299/

I have been using pnstaw 16 GB thumb drives that I got in a pack of 10. Occasionally it will "come loose" or something and no longer make good contact, but that is rare. It normally will play for hours without issue. I generally have it set to the randomize setting which works for me. I would like to use a 6" extension as somebody mentioned, but don't know where to get one. That way you leave the extension plugged in to the vehicle and swap things on the other end, which causes less wear.

The one big annoyance I have is that sometimes when I first start my Bronco, it can't seem to find the USB device, so switches to radio. Then I have to manually poke a few things to get it back where I want.
Sponsored